Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello. I just got my 700w for Verizon about 2 weeks ago. I feel like know my way around it pretty well now, but there are some questions I have come up with.

1. Memory usage. I have 5.35mb free out of 25.45mb with no programs running. I know this number was higher. Where did it go if I have no programs running?

2. I keep the phone in a hard clamshell type case. The keyguard is also on. However, sometimes I take the phone out and IE is open and the phone is connected to the internet. How is this possible and how can it be stopped? Unfortunately, I don't want to pay $45 a month for data.

3. The alarm clock is just not loud enough. It doesn't wake me up. And it doesn't help that it just rings once and that's it, even though repeat is on. How can I add a new, louder ringtone for the alarm and make it keep ringing until I dismiss it?

4. The expansion card. I bought a Sandisk 4gb SD card (nothing special). It also came with a little USB reader. I put the card in the phone and it makes a sound. But, I go into task manager and it says "Total storage card memory: Not installed." I reformatted the card in FAT32 and tried again, but no different. Also, when I put the card in the cardslot on my laptop, it is not recognised. However, when I use the USB reader, it works. What's the problem here? Bad card maybe? I don't have another one to test.

5. Do calendar entries delete themselves after some time? I notice they are still there after the day has past. Any way to easily clear them all if the don't remove themselves?

I think that's it for now. Any help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Hello. I just got my 700w for Verizon about 2 weeks ago. I feel like know my way around it pretty well now, but there are some questions I have come up with.

1. Memory usage. I have 5.35mb free out of 25.45mb with no programs running. I know this number was higher. Where did it go if I have no programs running?

This happens over time, perfectly normal. Do a reset, and you will see the number go back up. Some say a soft-reset a day keeps the freeze-ups away LOL!!!!! (maybe not EVERY day, but do one occasionally)

2. I keep the phone in a hard clamshell type case. The keyguard is also on. However, sometimes I take the phone out and IE is open and the phone is connected to the internet. How is this possible and how can it be stopped? Unfortunately, I don't want to pay $45 a month for data. I can't say exactly WHAT is happening without knowing any apps/tweaks you may have, but I would start using a lock app like S2U2 (I can direct you if your interested), and keeping any Today screen shortcuts or PIE button assignments OFF.
    3. The alarm clock is just not loud enough. It doesn't wake me up. And it doesn't help that it just rings once and that's it, even though repeat is on. How can I add a new, louder ringtone for the alarm and make it keep ringing until I dismiss it? The alarm is NOT exactly inspirational, but there are some you can install (SPB Time, or a GREAT free on I can send you) that will do the trick!!!

4. The expansion card. I bought a Sandisk 4gb SD card (nothing special). It also came with a little USB reader. I put the card in the phone and it makes a sound. But, I go into task manager and it says "Total storage card memory: Not installed." I reformatted the card in FAT32 and tried again, but no different. Also, when I put the card in the cardslot on my laptop, it is not recognised. However, when I use the USB reader, it works. What's the problem here? Bad card maybe? I don't have another one to test. Is the card SDHC? If so, THAT is the problem, you need to do the tweak found right here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=152257

5. Do calendar entries delete themselves after some time? I notice they are still there after the day has past. Any way to easily clear them all if the don't remove themselves? Not sure how long they last, but it really isn't worth worrying about. You can always do in manually if you wanted to!!

I think that's it for now. Any help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I hope this DID help some, let me know if you want more info, or some of the apps I mentioned (or that you have in mind)!!!

P.S. Welcome!!!! :-)

Be specific, do you have a Verizon 700w or 700Wx, because i'm about to get on my knees and pray that you didn't just get a Verizon 700w !!!

If you bought a 700w (and not the 700Wx) in 2008.......may the gods have mercy on your soul....take it back.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian
    Be specific, do you have a Verizon 700w or 700Wx
    It is a 700w. I don't need it to do all that much. I have no data plan, and have no intentions of getting one. What exactly is the difference between the w and wx anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969
    I can't say exactly WHAT is happening without knowing any apps/tweaks you may have, but I would start using a lock app like S2U2 (I can direct you if your interested), and keeping any Today screen shortcuts or PIE button assignments OFF.
    No tweaks or apps yet. The phone is still as if it was right out of the box. No Today screen shortcut and no button assignment. That's why it makes no sense lol. So yes, I would be interested in looking at that app.

The alarm is NOT exactly inspirational, but there are some you can install (SPB Time, or a GREAT free on I can send you) that will do the trick!!!
    That would be great.

Is the card SDHC?
    Nope. Just a regular ol' SD card.

Thanks for you help!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal240SX93 View Post

2. I keep the phone in a hard clamshell type case. The keyguard is also on. However, sometimes I take the phone out and IE is open and the phone is connected to the internet. How is this possible and how can it be stopped? Unfortunately, I don't want to pay $45 a month for data.
    Hit the start menu, go to connections and then to the connections icon

Tap Manage existing connections under My ISP

With your stylus, press and hold over the connection until the context menu comes up and then press delete

By doing this your phone will have no way to connect to the internet and save you any misc. charges.

-Asb
  6.    #6  
    Well, even though I don't have a data plan, I think I want keep the connection there. I might absolutely have to use it someday for an "emergency."

I got a hold of a friend's SD card from their camera. Put it in my phone and it worked. The card was formatted in FAT. Does the 700w have to be FAT, not FAT32?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Well, even though I don't have a data plan, I think I want keep the connection there. I might absolutely have to use it someday for an "emergency".
    Well, one option then is to change the login and/or password so that it will not connect. Keep the correct info in a word document on your phone you can throw it back in there if needed. By changing that it will not auto connect and if you need to use it at some point you can just pop the correct info in there and have it connect.

Just a thought!
  8.    #8  
    Hmm that's true...I forgot I had Word lol. Alright well that I can do.

Also, I have found the problem with the SD card. It's a fake. I compared it to another Sandisk SD card and found that it does not have Sandisk engraved on the back. And there were some minor differences with the label.

So now I just need the alarm program from syrguy1969.
    Hey there...I was off for a couple days, sorry. You do have to watch those cards, I got stuck with a couple klinkers as well (LOL). If your still interested in the lock app, it is found here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...highlight=S2U2
    If you need any help or info on it just shout out!!

Here is the alarm clock. Pretty basic, but works GREAT!!! Install the CAB, and then sync your 700w and copy the other file into the folder for the alarm (Program Files -> GreenSoftware), don't worry about over-writing the existing file. This is NOT a crack or anything, no worries there. The clock is freeware. All the converted file that you copy in does is re-size the settings screen to our 240x240 screen.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It is a 700w. I don't need it to do all that much. I have no data plan, and have no intentions of getting one. What exactly is the difference between the w and wx anyway?
    The WX has twice as much memory. The W is a flawed device that does not have enough RAM, your 5.24mb free illustrates this clearly.

If you can take it back do so. Your are going to run into problems as soon as you want to do more than simply make a call.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  11.    #11  
    Alright that alarm program seems to work well...good and annoying lol. Thanks. Do you possibly know how I could add a new alarm tone? All the tones it is giving me as choices are in the Windows folder, but when I add a tone there it doesn't show up on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by robber
    The WX has twice as much memory. The W is a flawed device that does not have enough RAM, your 5.24mb free illustrates this clearly.
    Eh oh well. I probably won't do all that much with it tbh. My RAZR bit the dust unfortunately and I didn't have to pay very much for this phone.
    I know the alarm says it is capable of it, but I have never tried myself. I think they have to be .mid files, I will try it out myself and see.

P.S. The 'anoying' part is the beauty of this clock, basic, loud, and works!!! LOL

Alright that alarm program seems to work well...good and annoying lol. Thanks. Do you possibly know how I could add a new alarm tone? All the tones it is giving me as choices are in the Windows folder, but when I add a tone there it doesn't show up on the list.
    I just tried last night, you can do it (I now have Doctor Who complaining about being woken at half-past August as my alarm LOL). Download/create a .wav file (I wouldn't make it too large, memory-wise, and because the alarm repeats, you don't need it to be too long), sync your PPC to your PC, and open explorer. Go to the Windoes folder on your PPC and drop the .wav file in there.

The new tone shows up on top of the choices in the alarm, so don't worry if you don't see it. you may need to reset, or just remember to scroll UP when you open the alarm-tone choices.

Let me know if I helped, or just confused you more (yes...I have that affect)!!!

14.    #14  
    Hmm that worked. Don't know why it didn't work the first time I tried that. Thanks though.

New question: What program should I use to encode 700mb .avi videos? ActiveSync takes way too long, if it even works at all.
    Glad the alarm worked, you got me on the vid question though. I just keep a memory card in my case loaded with avi clips via card reader. I have heard a lot of talk about all the PPC DVD apps (SPB has one), but never found a use for it myself. Good luck!!

16.    #16  
    New question: Are there any apps that can give maps/directions like MapQuest, but don't require a data plan?
    New question: Are there any apps that can give maps/directions like MapQuest, but don't require a data plan?
    They all require a data plan. You could call 411 for directions, but that's a per call charge.
  18.    #18  
    Aren't there GPS programs similar to automotive ones that the Treo can use? Those use a data plan too?
    Aren't there GPS programs similar to automotive ones that the Treo can use? Those use a data plan too?
    GPS on the w/wx is not really the same as a map-driven app like googlemaps.

To get GPS, you need a GPS dongle, or reciever for your device, then you purchase the application itself (TomTom...) and install to your device (usually maps will be on memory card), I don't believe you need a data plan after that (I could be wrong though). Does that help any?

20.    #20  
    Yeah that helps. That's what I figured. Not sure I'll actually do that, but I'm just feeling out the possibilities. Thanks again guys.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast