Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

does it pay to wait for the treo 800w? Im currently using my 700wx and love it.
    Ive noticed that palm is somewhat behind its competitors with this delayed release.
    Ive seen the specs on the 800w and it does seem nice, but then agian it doesnt seem like anything thats really innovative compared to other verizon phones..

im looking to upgrade from my 700wx to something bigger and better..any suggestions?

thank you
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    GPS, Wifi, and screen resolution (subject to font scaling constraints) would be plenty innovative for me. But if there's even a sliver of truth to the rumor of WM6 upgrade for VZW 700wx owners, I'm guessing that's just because Verizon knows they won't be releasing the 800w anytime soon, and they're trying to make nice with people that have been waiting for 2 years to upgrade their devices. The thing is, many of the limitations of the 700wx are hardware limitations, so moving to WM6 is a little bit of lipstick on a...well, you know.

That said, I don't believe the rumors for a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    But if there's even a sliver of truth to the rumor of WM6 upgrade for VZW 700wx owners
    It's no rumor. Verizon is beta-testing the WM6 ROM already. I've seen it with my own eyes.

I suppose they could not release it at this point, but they'd lose a significant investment in both time and money by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    The thing is, many of the limitations of the 700wx are hardware limitations, so moving to WM6 is a little bit of lipstick on a...well, you know.
    Having used WM6 on my 700wx I'm still not sure what the hype is supposed to be about. Not that it's bad, but it's just....meh....

That being said it performs quite nicely on the 700wx. WM5 is significantly faster however (especially with a stripped ROM).

WM6 sure is purdy though.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Thanks - Ebag333. As with all things "cell phone" and "Verizon Wireless", though, I'll believe it when I see it. Not slamming you in any way - just that in my youth I was suckered into believing one press release too many about products and services that never materialized.

I use WM6.1 on another phone. HTML email is a *clear* advantage. As is the "Search Server" function for exchange email - a total winner for me. Funny thing, I must be the only person alive who absolutely hates threaded SMS. Yes, it's great for the once-a-month conversation while the wife is traveling, but for my normal text messaging usage, it's a nightmare since all the different messages from my server end up in the same thread and I can't tell them apart. And there's no way to turn it off. So it has at least one drawback for me!

The lack of voice command over bluetooth on the 700wx is an absolute killer. I've read in various places that it's supposed to be a hardware limitation, though this (sorry) rumored update mentions voice command over bluetooth. If so, this update might bring me back to the 700wx camp except for those times when I'll be traveling and need Wifi.

So back to the OP, definitely wait and see if this WM6 update is real. If your 700wx really meets your needs now, it'll be great - a free upgrade to WM6! I really want the higher-res screen and Wifi, though, and I'd love to *not* have that antenna sticking up. I'd rather Verizon get it together with the 800w than **** around with the 700wx, though. But it just goes back to my earlier point that they clearly have no plans to release the 800w anytime soon, if they've invested time and money into a 700wx update. I can't remember the last time hardware that has been out as long as the 700wx got any sort of firmware update from Verizon Wireless.
    I dont like threaded SMS either. I hate the idea that someone can pick up my phone and read a months worth of conversations I have had with someone else.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    I dont like threaded SMS either. I hate the idea that someone can pick up my phone and read a months worth of conversations I have had with someone else.
    I am with you Robber. Not to mention the WM6.X threaded interface is garbage. IMO the thread should be available only if a certain amount of time has passed, or if needed (i.e. not the default). I don't need the whole thread during a conversation -- SMS is generally real time, no? Give me the the extra screen space for input or reading the current message and make it simpler to do basic functions like "new message."
    Last edited by insol; 06/17/2008 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It's no rumor. Verizon is beta-testing the WM6 ROM already. I've seen it with my own eyes.

I suppose they could not release it at this point, but they'd lose a significant investment in both time and money by doing so.
    Personally, I don't mind if it never comes out, but as you mentioned...time and money invested means more to these companies than the opinions/wants of the customers more often than not!!

Having used WM6 on my 700wx I'm still not sure what the hype is supposed to be about. Not that it's bad, but it's just....meh....

That being said it performs quite nicely on the 700wx. WM5 is significantly faster however (especially with a stripped ROM).

WM6 sure is purdy though.

I agree with the 'meh' comment, there is nothing in the WM6 that I want much less need, so I may not even do the update (as far as another post mentioning it LOOKS sweet, by the time all the skins and apps are in place, who can tell the difference LOL!!!)!!

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Hasn't verizon said this will be out q3? That's anywhere from 13 to 103 days! Not so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    Hasn't verizon said this will be out q3? That's anywhere from 13 to 103 days! Not so long.
    Sprint gets a period of exclusivity, and it isn't out for Sprint yet. You're looking toward the 103 day end of your spectrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where/when did you hear this? I haven't been able to get a thing out of Palm or VZW regarding the 800!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    Sprint gets a period of exclusivity, and it isn't out for Sprint yet. You're looking toward the 103 day end of your spectrum.
    Another tid-bit I would like to know...why is it that Sprint has this period? Do they have a primary, or a previously made contract to Palm than any other provider does?

You will have to excuse my curiosity, I love learning these details though....just how my mind works (I know...scary)!!

Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where/when did you hear this? I haven't been able to get a thing out of Palm or VZW regarding the 800!!!
    Places like this website, back when the leaked VZW slides came to light.

As for exclusivity, that's the way it is with all high-end phones. This (U.S.) is a carrier-dominated market, even more so with all the mergers, and so the carriers do this in hopes of snatching people who want a particular phone (Centro, Voyager, hypePhone....) for a 2-year contract. I don't know the economics of it for the manufacturer, but it has to pay off enough for them because darn every phone comes out with an exclusivity contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    Places like this website, back when the leaked VZW slides came to light.

As for exclusivity, that's the way it is with all high-end phones. This (U.S.) is a carrier-dominated market, even more so with all the mergers, and so the carriers do this in hopes of snatching people who want a particular phone (Centro, Voyager, hypePhone....) for a 2-year contract. I don't know the economics of it for the manufacturer, but it has to pay off enough for them because darn every phone comes out with an exclusivity contract.
    Thanks for that site, I have seen something similar to that, but the one you posted was very informative!!! I can wait until later in the year for this. Don't get me wrong, it will be like being attatched to a live wire trying to stay away from it, but at least the time difference will give me time to get info on here and other forums as to the reliability anf overall success/downfall of the 800!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

EDIT: After reading the page intently, I noticed it lists VZ Navigator as a feature, not GPS.....would it be possible VZW would disable the GPS feature for their customers, or have a GPS-less version released from Palm?
    Last edited by syrguy1969; 06/17/2008 at 10:42 PM.

would it be possible VZW would disable the GPS feature for their customers
    Yup.

They've done it before. More than once, too.
    I'm sure that is the reason Sprint is releasing the 800w next week and VZW is releasing it in Septemer(ish) - they have to complete their "testing" and get the VZ Nav software on there.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    All I can say is thet VZW better not DISABLE the GPS. If they want to add their navigation software, so be it, but the GPS is one of the biggest draws for me, and that will make me really think about going away from Palm. (When my wx bites the dust of course!!)

I know VZW is famous for tailoring devices to their liking, but wouldn't GPS be a hardware thing, so even if they place VZNavigator on it we should be able to hack or activate/use the native GPS?

Has anyone heard of this being done in the past?

Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post
    I'm sure that is the reason Sprint is releasing the 800w next week and VZW is releasing it in Septemer(ish) - they have to complete their "testing" and get the VZ Nav software on there.
    Where did you see that Sprint is releasing it next week? The two dates I've seen are July 13th and July 22nd.
    would it be possible VZW would disable the GPS feature for their customers
    Has anyone heard of this being done in the past?
    Yup.

They've done it before. More than once, too.
    Here's an interesting article.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060112/082257.shtml

Verizon Still Crippling Bluetooth

from the call-the-bluedentist dept

It should come as little surprise to learn that Verizon Wireless has crippled Bluetooth on the Treo 700W, preventing it from being used as an EV-DO modem for a laptop or PDA. After all, this is the carrier that got sued -- and ended up settling -- for crippling the Bluetooth on another handset, and similarly prevented the Treo 650 from being used as a modem as well. The carrier's rationale is amusing. It says, apparently, that it's shut off dial-up networking support because the Treo doesn't meet its network requirements -- does that mean that Verizon requires its handsets to help fleece its customers? For what it's worth, it says it "hopes" to release Treos with the feature turned on in the third quarter, but it won't say if previously bought phones will be un-crippled. Verizon really likes to break the functionality of phones it sells -- remember, too, that it's fresh off an uproar for removing MP3 playback functionality from some of its other handsets.

All I can say is thet VZW better not DISABLE the GPS. If they want to add their navigation software, so be it, but the GPS is one of the biggest draws for me, and that will make me really think about going away from Palm. (When my wx bites the dust of course!!)
    Why would you leave Palm and stay with Verizon when it's Verizon that's disabling features on the phone?

Shady stuff like that is the #1 reason I won't ever go with Verizon. At least when Sprint disables stuff (rarely) they're fairly honest about it.
    Thanks, this looks pretty interesting, I read what you psted, and may just have to navigate around that site for a while LOL!!!!

Why would you leave Palm and stay with Verizon when it's Verizon that's disabling features on the phone?

Shady stuff like that is the #1 reason I won't ever go with Verizon. At least when Sprint disables stuff (rarely) they're fairly honest about it.
    I am pretty settled into a good plan with VZW, and most (if not, all) my friends are with them, (making it even cheaper), so I have never had a reason to leave really. As for leaving Palm, that would be if GPS was disabled, and I still really want it (we will see).

On another note, I spoke with a VZW CS rep today (yeah, I know of the issues of their reliability issues), and they told me that there shouldn't be any reason a GPS app (like TomTom) wouldn't work on their 800w, even with VZNavigator on it. As I said, we will see!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    Where did you see that Sprint is releasing it next week? The two dates I've seen are July 13th and July 22nd.
    You're right, I thought it was June 22nd. It's July 22nd per Treonauts.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Thanks, this looks pretty interesting, I read what you psted, and may just have to navigate around that site for a while LOL!!!!

On another note, I spoke with a VZW CS rep today (yeah, I know of the issues of their reliability issues), and they told me that there shouldn't be any reason a GPS app (like TomTom) wouldn't work on their 800w, even with VZNavigator on it. As I said, we will see!!!!
    I have a Touch currently on Verizon's network with an upgraded ROM to activate the GPS. The problem is that without some "assistance" it can take a little bit of time to lock onto satellites (2-20 minutes). Verizon is notoriously bad about revealing their position determination entities (PDE) server. Unless the Treo has a full (read: completely unassisted) GPS then you will need a PDE server or satellite locks will take long long time. EXCEPT if you are using VZnavigator (which I have read has the PDE server IP built into it) -- Do a quick search on activating GPS for the blackberry, you will see how long people have been trying to figure this out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast