Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by insol View Post
    I have a Touch currently on Verizon's network with an upgraded ROM to activate the GPS. The problem is that without some "assistance" it can take a little bit of time to lock onto satellites (2-20 minutes). Verizon is notoriously bad about revealing their position determination entities (PDE) server. Unless the Treo has a full (read: completely unassisted) GPS then you will need a PDE server or satellite locks will take long long time. EXCEPT if you are using VZnavigator (which I have read has the PDE server IP built into it) -- Do a quick search on activating GPS for the blackberry, you will see how long people have been trying to figure this out.
    I have tried to figure this out, and I think I will just have to wait until it comes out because the VZW tech staff don't know what I am talking about, but they think GPS software (GoogleMaps, TomTom...) should be able to work even if VZNavigator is on the device.

Call me crazy, but if we are paying for a phone plan, and a data plan, and then purchase the software (I have TomTom already), I feel pretty frustrated at having to pay another $10 per month for the ability to utilize the GPS function!!

Bottom line bro... if it isn't locked out by Verizon's request (which might not stop some knowledgeble peoples), than TOMTOM should work fine with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Bottom line bro... if it isn't locked out by Verizon's request (which might not stop some knowledgeble peoples), than TOMTOM should work fine with it.
    Yeah, and the sinking feeling I have is that it will be locked out. I have been doing a lot of reading about the crackberries being GPS locked posted by insol, so I guess we will see!!!

Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Yeah, and the sinking feeling I have is that it will be locked out. I have been doing a lot of reading about the crackberries being GPS locked posted by insol, so I guess we will see!!!
    A lot more wiggle room with WM to work around those lock outs though than a BB... have faith in the community if that is the path.

You should probably be most concerned when VZ is going to get the Treo 800w more than anything else
    A lot more wiggle room with WM to work around those lock outs though than a BB... have faith in the community if that is the path.

You should probably be most concerned when VZ is going to get the Treo 800w more than anything else
    I have seem some pretty amazing things done in a few communities I belong to, so I am fairly certain that short of it becoming a hardware issue, someone in here or a couple others (that would wind up here of course) will get it licked!!!

I agree with the 'hoping they get it' mentality as well, you never know with VZW!!!!

I have seem some pretty amazing things done in a few communities I belong to, so I am fairly certain that short of it becoming a hardware issue, someone in here or a couple others (that would wind up here of course) will get it licked!!!

I agree with the 'hoping they get it' mentality as well, you never know with VZW!!!!
    What you mean those slackers at PPCGEEKS?

Good group of guys over there... DEF the ones to get it done.
    What you mean those slackers at PPCGEEKS?

Good group of guys over there... DEF the ones to get it done.
    Yeah....you got me....what gave me away? My membership in the CozBoogie Militia as advertized in my sig?

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    And lets not forget xda-developers.com... still I must say things have not yet been made to work smoothly for the Touch's hacked GPS on VZW. here my problem... while it works, it may take 10 seconds to lock sometime or 30 minutes. I hate the unreliability and if VZW gave up the PDE server IP (like Sprint does) it CAN be made to work quickly. I will likely leave VZW to goto Sprint when the 800w comes out just because of this issue.

I love their network work as discussed in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=165310
    but their hardware and crippling is ridiculously frustrating.
    Yeah....you got me....what gave me away? My membership in the CozBoogie Militia as advertized in my sig?
    Nah, I've seen your posts over there... wish I could say I was that observative with all that sig business.
    Nah, I've seen your posts over there... wish I could say I was that observative with all that sig business.
    That is a cool community as well, between my trilogy of communities (here, PPCGeeks, and XDA) I have a pretty cool looking (I think so at least) and smooth running device!!

A treo 800w on the verizon network (myvzw.com) popped up on dslreports' mobile speed test about a week ago. So for those interested, they have it. Only one instance was found however, but the results:

Speed was 784 down testing a 1024k file...latency was 0.236ms.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12