Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    And does it matter? Is this going to force Sprint to price the Treo more aggresively?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    All they have to say is they do A2DP and can run TomTom (unlike the iPhone).

Surur
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    All they have to say is they do A2DP and can run TomTom (unlike the iPhone).

Surur
    lol, im sure that is their plan...

They also have to get someone to listen...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    The list is getting shorter of Treo's uniqueness because every developer is now making apps for the iPhone. My personal fav, TomTom for the Treo made me love the treo even more. And now I read this:

TomTom says navigation app already runs on iPhone
    http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...46553120080609

Still, I'm looking forward to the 800w ..hope windows is good as I'm coming from my beloved 650
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Off the top of my head, the 800w can claim the following advantages over the iPhone:

1. Removable memory card slot

2. Stylus

3. D-pad/hard app buttons + QWERTY thumboard (though some would see this as a negative)

4. Removable battery

5. A2DP

6. Video capture

7. MMS

The 750 looks like a horrid piece of antiquity next to the new iPhone. The 850 & 800w fare much better against it, spec-wise.

Where Palm REALLY oughta be concerned is with their Garnet-based devices. The Centro & 755p look absolutely abysmal next to a $199 iPhone 2.0.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Another area Palm should be sweating is a device like this getting a head start in the third party application space. Time will tell how many developers flock to it, but so far there are some pretty big names throwing their hats into the ring. Will their be any oxygen left once Palm finally gets Nova out of the garage?

As for the 8xx devices, I can't say I'm really wowed. The only possible draw would be if I was interested in WM. Otherwise they just don't stand out for me at all.

I'm not completely sold on the iPhone 2 /just/ yet. I need to see that there is some real attention from developers with productivity and connectivity applications. It's a promising start, but I still can't replicate on an iPhone what I'm already doing with my Treo 680. If I can reach that point, then I can switch and open doors to things POS will never ever do. Nova may be a different story... but Nova really /isn't/ a story yet, IMO. Palm has a lot to prove themselves...
    I don't think the Treo would get much mainstream press anyway, but it will get price-compared to the iPhone now by anyone who does cover the Treo launch. A $250 Treo doesn't look too hot next to a $200 iPhone.

Factor in the cost of the plans, though, and Treo is still the clear price winner. I'm looking to finally upgrade my Treo 650, currently paying about $40/month to Sprint for the plan. My choices at this point appear to be:

A) Upgrade to 800w: total cost of $250 for the phone (no change in plan)

B) Upgrade to iPhone: total cost of $200 for the phone + additional $30/month for the minimum AT&T plan for 2 years = $920

I'm a longtime Mac user and I love the iPhone, but $70/month minimum plan payment is just way too much for me to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Off the top of my head, the 800w can claim the following advantages over the iPhone:

iPhone has 16gb onboard for $300, and you'll have to pay $50 each for MicroSD cards at 8gb a pop, then have to keep track of them. I'd call this a disadvantage. Now if the Treo had this expansion with 16gb onboard that would be another story.

2. Stylus
    This is an antiquated disadvantage IMO.

3. D-pad/hard app buttons + QWERTY thumboard (though some would see this as a negative)
    The QWERTY is a big advantage until you get used to the iPhone keyboard..then it's apples & oranges.

4. Removable battery
    Agreed.

5. A2DP
    I don't buy Apple's excuse for leaving this out (they don't think it's advanced enough). I'd agree that it still has a long way to go to catch wired headphones that is no reason to leave it out.

6. Video capture & 7. MMS
    These will likely be addressed by 3rd party apps.

I think I will miss tactile speed dial the most as the iPhone doesn't even have voice command. The one handed operation of the Treo is also a big plus. I definitely won't miss that joke of a screen though!
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
  9.    #9  
    [QUOTE=taroliw;1448747]Another area Palm should be sweating is a device like this getting a head start in the third party application space. Time will tell how many developers flock to it, but so far there are some pretty big names throwing their hats into the ring. Will their be any oxygen left once Palm finally gets Nova out of the garage?QUOTE]

This is a good point.
  10.    #10  

2. Stylus

4. Removable battery

5. A2DP

6. Video capture

7. MMS

The 750 looks like a horrid piece of antiquity next to the new iPhone. The 850 & 800w fare much better against it, spec-wise.

Where Palm REALLY oughta be concerned is with their Garnet-based devices. The Centro & 755p look absolutely abysmal next to a $199 iPhone 2.0.
    The advantage of the treo IMO (and why I have always loved them) is raw efficiency. There is simply no other device out there that can do everyday tasks as quickly and easily as the Treo.

Like everyone else, I have 15 friends with iphones, I also have a 8gb touch so I am familiar with the interface- but when we are all sitting around and something needs to be looked up on wikipedia, or a restaraunt number needs to be found, or movie times need to be found out, etc- I am light years faster than any iphone user at getting it. Even launching a call is no contest.

Now of course I cant view the "real" Internet, or flip through pictures with my finger but I also dont really want to.

-Rob
    Maybe they'll delay it a week to not compete with the iPhone, and I'll win the contest
    Question? Will the iPhone ever show as a removable disk drive? If not, I'm betting that's tied into the reason why they won't allow storage cards. They don't want you to have too much control over your own phone. If they allow drag and drop capability, part of their iTunes control is gone. 16GB is nice but forcing you to go through iTunes to sync everything, um yeah.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post
    iPhone has 16gb onboard for $300, and you'll have to pay $50 each for MicroSD cards at 8gb a pop, then have to keep track of them. I'd call this a disadvantage. Now if the Treo had this expansion with 16gb onboard that would be another story.
    But the 8GB card will have less restrictions than iPhone's 16GB. This includes being able to use whatever sync program works with the card, which will be several, as opposed to ONE with the iPhone. Not only that, but even on phones with carrier firmware, whenever I add ringtones to the card, they usually work on the phone unless too big or the wrong format. iPhone will not allow your own ringtones, unless they said something different for version 2(I didn't read everything yet). Storage cards also allow apps to be added, and you know iPhone's storage won't allow that unless you go through them(unless you'll be jailbreaking your phone). +1 for removable storage IMO. Just due to the freedom of use alone.

BTW, now I'm going to go look for a $50 8GB, they must have gone down in price if you found them for that, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    don't forget the 800w has a Rev-A radio which is much, much faster (data) than the 3g iphone.
    Is that 4G? The Instinct seemed to stutter through it a bit, so reviews said. So Sprint said they were still tweaking the network. Although that could have been the browser the Instinct used.

According to this, 3G iPhone will NOT ship. You must buy and activate in-store only, YUCK! Plus the rates went up for 3G iPhone plans.

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archi...nd-data-p.html

Think I'll stick with the Nokias, HTCs and SEs instead.

Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Another area Palm should be sweating is a device like this getting a head start in the third party application space. Time will tell how many developers flock to it, but so far there are some pretty big names throwing their hats into the ring. Will their be any oxygen left once Palm finally gets Nova out of the garage?

As for the 8xx devices, I can't say I'm really wowed. The only possible draw would be if I was interested in WM. Otherwise they just don't stand out for me at all.

I'm not completely sold on the iPhone 2 /just/ yet. I need to see that there is some real attention from developers with productivity and connectivity applications. It's a promising start, but I still can't replicate on an iPhone what I'm already doing with my Treo 680. If I can reach that point, then I can switch and open doors to things POS will never ever do. Nova may be a different story... but Nova really /isn't/ a story yet, IMO. Palm has a lot to prove themselves...

It's time for Palm to show us the Nova Phone along with applications ect; Apple released a lot of specs 6 months before the Iphone was released. Hopefully Google shows us more Android phones. What if Apple intensifies the competition with a iphone with a Treo like keyboard such as a Motorola Q9c or a BB 8830. (I know that probably will not happen). I do hope that Sprint (Palm ) lowers the price on the 800W
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by though View Post
    don't forget the 800w has a Rev-A radio which is much, much faster (data) than the 3g iphone.
    Theoretically maybe, but at the end of the day Sprint does a single T1 backhaul from their towers to the network backbone- so your chances of getting anything over 1.5mbps are very low- maybe Times Square or other similiar places have larger pipes, but the vast majority of towers- even in major metro areas, are T1s.

From what I have read (nothing too recent FWIW) RevA provides better uplink speeds and lower latency more than anything else.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Guys, I always read you, but never post... I own a Treo 700wx, a Mogul, and an Iphone.... Let me tell you, of the three, the Treo is the most intuitive and efficient of all of them.

It looks like a brick, it feels like one... but damn, I can't ever complain about usability, even with that POS WM loaded onto it.

Like everyone else, I dealt with the iPhone's growing pains, and expected the iPhone 3G to solve everything...

Well, I can say that they did (except for the crappy keyboard - no one can like a touch keyboard over a hardware one. You're fooling yourself if you say so), but at what cost to me? We should all be cost conscious and the cost over two years is going to be too much for those of us who are on Sprint.

Now, VZ, ATT members are already paying more for data, so for them it may work. I long sexyness in phones, but iPhone ends up being a glorified mp3 player that costs me every month. I can deal with it at current levels, but I cannot pay more for the little use it actually gets in comparison to the efficient Treo...

That said, 800w in 2008 sucks compared to just about everything else that is coming out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    lol, im sure that is their plan...

They also have to get someone to listen...
    Releasing the iPhone 3G without A2DP was a BIG mistake.

I was almost willing to consider it until I discovered that GIANT omission.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast