Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    will probably be non-existent.

Thanks
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    There is every indication that the boneheads at Sprint who still think that they can compete head-to-head with AT&T and Verizon, will mandate the matching $30/mo data option for ANY new Sprint smartphone, just as they have stated will be required for the Instinct. So unfortunately, that particular "+" for the new Treo (or any new Sprint smartphone), will probably be non-existent.
    Yeah, for new customers it'll be $69 which includes 450 anytime minutes, messaging + unlimited data. In that sense, since you are getting messaging (sms), it's still cheaper than AT&T.

If you are an existing customer getting a new phone, they can't force you to a new plan--so that's not an issue.

And if you are a new customer, it begs the question: why not Sero? Then it'll just be $30 a month for 500 anytime minutes and unlimited everything.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yeah, for new customers it'll be $69 which includes 450 anytime minutes, messaging + unlimited data. In that sense, since you are getting messaging (sms), it's still cheaper than AT&T.

If you are an existing customer getting a new phone, they can't force you to a new plan--so that's not an issue.

And if you are a new customer, it begs the question: why not Sero? Then it'll just be $30 a month for 500 anytime minutes and unlimited everything.
    Well, for the record there is one thing that the everything plan includes that SERO doesn't and that's unlimited Sprint Navigation usage as well. I actually switched from my old plan which was a 200 minute one to the 450 minute Everything plan, mainly because I needed more minutes, and no matter how hard I tried, Sprint refused to switch me over to SERO.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well, for the record there is one thing that the everything plan includes that SERO doesn't and that's unlimited Sprint Navigation usage as well. I actually switched from my old plan which was a 200 minute one to the 450 minute Everything plan, mainly because I needed more minutes, and no matter how hard I tried, Sprint refused to switch me over to SERO.
    The Treo will be able to utilize third party apps for GPS, like live search with its integrated chipset. No need for "Sprint navigation".

Yes, switching from a regular plan to Sero is not an easy process.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    The Treo will be able to utilize third party apps for GPS, like live search with its integrated chipset. No need for "Sprint navigation".

Plus it has a built in maps program for GPS.

I actually switched from a in-contract account to sero with one phone call. You can also threaten to cancel your plan and just port your number (it works).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    It's not about patience or learning, it's about speed. Take all the time to learn the iPhone keyboard and I will crush you in typing speed with a Treo. I will beat you like a red-headed stepchild. Arguing that point just makes you sound foolish.

I agree that the iPhone does some things very well but also does some things very poorly, or not at all. Try A2DP on your new multimedia wonder or perhaps tethering. Won't happen.
    Dude, take it easy. I'm sure you can "crush" me at typing and we'd all be very impressed, but my points are hardly foolish. I guess in your world typing at the speed of light is a live or die necessity...in mine 40-50 wpm is just fine. I need to send emails and view docs..that's it. If your some exec who's glued to his BB or some junior high school kid that sends 30k texts a month then yes, maybe the iPhone is not for you.

I'd prefer to have a big, beautiful screen and a decent media player coupled to a phone that doesn't lag and crash every 30 minutes.

A2DP and tethering are not CURRENTLY options on the iPhone but will be very shortly via 3rd party app. And A2DP is hardly an option worth missing...it's unreliable and poor quality at best, plus I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those oversized, blinking headsets on. Then again, I wouldn't wear the Apple clone army white ear buds, either.

And if you'd actually read my post you'd see that I am quite apprehensive about losing the Treo's one handed operation. It's a big advantage when trying to stay upright on the El. I'm also not sure how I'm going to adapt to lack of hard buttons as I tend to leave my phone in my pocket and operate it by feel. We'll see in a few weeks. Who knows, I may be back here waiting with the rest of you for the 800w to come out on VZW. I sure hope not.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post

Yes, but some people need voice instructions. There's also Garmin Mobile/ TomTom etc. but some also don't like having to use up space on their memory card for maps programs, and Sprint Navigation / Telenav works well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblerooski View Post

A2DP and tethering are not CURRENTLY options on the iPhone but will be very shortly via 3rd party app. And A2DP is hardly an option worth missing...it's unreliable and poor quality at best, plus I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those oversized, blinking headsets on. Then again, I wouldn't wear the Apple clone army white ear buds, either.
    Third party apps can not add A2DP and tethering, due to either the SDK's restrictions and of course Apple's oversight of the software channel. You have given up that kind of freedom by going Apple.

Surur
    The SDK is jut words on a page. It also prohibits turn by turn navigation but Tom-Tom is prepping an iPhone version. It's only a matter of time until those features become available, whether blessed by Apple or not.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    It's only a matter of time until those features become available, whether blessed by Apple or not.
    And then only a matter of time when an update "accidentally" breaks those features.
    As a longtime Treo user who switched to the iPhone several months ago, I thought I'd add some perspective on the switch:

Things I miss from the Treo 700p:

1. Better one-handed operation (but I'm pretty darn good with it on the iPhone)

2. More software choices (but as discussed here, that's going away)

3. SPRINT. AT&T (legacy Cingular) on the iPhone is crap - "More bars in more places" - what BS. However, there have been reports that the 3G iPhone has better reception. Time will tell. It's not intolerable at the moment, but I DO miss Sprint.

What I gained with the iPhone:

1. Built in video iPod - means I sold the Archos and have one device for phone/internet/video/music. Great for traveling.

2. Gorgeous display, and the interface is so much nicer. Seriously, you need to spend some time with it to appreciate it. I didn't at first.

3. Full web sites, and the iPhone-specific sites kill any "Treo-compatible" sites dead. Dead.

4. Lots of cool software (my iPhone is "jailbroken" - so I can install apps).

5. WiFi!

6. Not crashing/rebooting daily. BIG plus. My iPhone has not ONCE reset on me during a phone call. My Treo did on occasion.

7. Bluetooth that actually WORKS - and works like it SHOULD. I don't care about A2DP, but I *DO* care about reliable, static-free BT headsets/carkits. Imagine being able to shop for a headset based on style, features, and price -- not "Does it work with the Treo? How well?"

8. Location-aware Google Maps that isn't clunky as hell.

9. Visual Voicemail. This feature downloads your voicemails to the phone (probably as MP3s) and presents a list, which you can play back at any time - even when the phone portion is off (airplane mode) - and which doesn't use minutes. When you step off the plane and have 9 voicemails, being able to prioritize them by caller is AWESOME. I can even receive them on a layover and play them on the next flight without violating FAA regulations.

10. Much better camera.

Things that are pretty much equal:

1. Keyboard. Took me 3-4 days to get used to the iPhone's keyboard (as, indeed, it did for the Treo) and I'm sold. I type as fast or faster, and the predictive text and predictive character sense are great features. The key to the iPhone is not getting obsessed about hitting each character on the nose - just plow ahead and make some typos - the iPhone fixes them for you.

2. Battery. Removable battery? I never took mine out of the Treo - I kept it charged. Same with the iPhone.

3. Web speed. The iPhone on edge and the POS Treo on EVDO are about even, I think due to the inefficiency of the POS/Treo/Blazer combination. 3G should rock, as indeed, WiFi rocks.

4. Service plans. I spend about $10 more than I did. No biggie.

5. Outlook syncing. I get my calendar and contacts, which is all I really need.

6. Email. Versamail/iPhone mail. Both are about as good; and about as bad.

Overall, I'm glad I made the switch. I think the iPhone has a much greater future than the Treo line; certainly much greater than the POS Treos.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa View Post
    As a longtime Treo user who switched to the iPhone several months ago, I thought I'd add some perspective on the switch:

3. SPRINT. AT&T (legacy Cingular) on the iPhone is crap - "More bars in more places" - what BS. However, there have been reports that the 3G iPhone has better reception. Time will tell. It's not intolerable at the moment, but I DO miss Sprint.

1. Built in video iPod - means I sold the Archos and have one device for phone/internet/video/music. Great for traveling.

2. Gorgeous display, and the interface is so much nicer. Seriously, you need to spend some time with it to appreciate it. I didn't at first.

3. Full web sites, and the iPhone-specific sites kill any "Treo-compatible" sites dead. Dead.

5. WiFi!

6. Not crashing/rebooting daily. BIG plus. My iPhone has not ONCE reset on me during a phone call. My Treo did on occasion.

7. Bluetooth that actually WORKS - and works like it SHOULD. I don't care about A2DP, but I *DO* care about reliable, static-free BT headsets/carkits. Imagine being able to shop for a headset based on style, features, and price -- not "Does it work with the Treo? How well?"

9. Visual Voicemail. This feature downloads your voicemails to the phone (probably as MP3s) and presents a list, which you can play back at any time - even when the phone portion is off (airplane mode) - and which doesn't use minutes. When you step off the plane and have 9 voicemails, being able to prioritize them by caller is AWESOME. I can even receive them on a layover and play them on the next flight without violating FAA regulations.

10. Much better camera.

1. Keyboard. Took me 3-4 days to get used to the iPhone's keyboard (as, indeed, it did for the Treo) and I'm sold. I type as fast or faster, and the predictive text and predictive character sense are great features. The key to the iPhone is not getting obsessed about hitting each character on the nose - just plow ahead and make some typos - the iPhone fixes them for you.

2. Battery. Removable battery? I never took mine out of the Treo - I kept it charged. Same with the iPhone.

3. Web speed. The iPhone on edge and the POS Treo on EVDO are about even, I think due to the inefficiency of the POS/Treo/Blazer combination. 3G should rock, as indeed, WiFi rocks.

Overall, I'm glad I made the switch. I think the iPhone has a much greater future than the Treo line; certainly much greater than the POS Treos.

For those that are able to take advantage of Sprint's SERO plan, #4 above is a HUGE difference: $30 month (SERO) vs. $60 month (current iphone) vs. ~$75 month (iphone 3G).
    The SDK is jut words on a page. It also prohibits turn by turn navigation but Tom-Tom is prepping an iPhone version. It's only a matter of time until those features become available, whether blessed by Apple or not.
    All rules are just words on a page. I dont see you driving through every stop street due to this.

Adobe also had flash running in a lab. Apple controls the iPhone with an iron fist, and when Apple starts only allowing signed apps to run the jailbreak community will be more or less dead.

Surur
    JoeTampa, thank you for that great comparison. I have been a long time Treo owner (650/680) and have told everyone I know how much I love my Treos. However, this new iPhone may have tipped the scale with built in GPS and 16GB capacity. I have an 8GB card and it is full, and I have TomTom with two different GPS fobs and still get inconsistent GPS service at best (drops signal way too often). I use my Treo for video, eReader, and music primarily, and as of now iPhone does 2 out of 3 very well and I know eReader is working on iPhone compatibility. If I go with the iPhone I will be keeping my Treo 680 (just in case).

I'd also like to compliment Treo members on this forum - I have been reading lots of apple/iphone forums and there are way too many rude/profane postings - I just don't ever see that here. Thanks for the courtesy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I actually switched from a in-contract account to sero with one phone call. You can also threaten to cancel your plan and just port your number (it works).
    Must be nice, I've tried this in about 5 different emails and 5 phone calls to customer service over the past year or two and they just refused to do it.

Anyway... I was thinking about this and when has a Treo honestly gotten that much press lately anyway? Not since the 600 and 650 really.

Not to mention, does it really matter if there's any press for it? If you like it, get it for yourself, and if other people don't, that's really their problem anyway.....

though I'm still crossing my fingers for a one week delay so I can win the contest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa View Post

5. WiFi!

10. Much better camera.

That's a very good review that covers all the things I care about. You should be a professional reviewer. The big things for me are:
    1. WIll I adapt to the keybaord and will I be able to type emails as fast on the Apple Keyboard.
    2. AT&T data coverage. Sprint is actually better then the rep it has. I rarely have problems. Will I have problems with the new 3g iphone getting the coverage I need. 75 bucks for the new iphone seems steep given the coverage issue and sprint you can get as cheap as 30.
    3. One handed operation. I need to be able to do this. Is it even possible given the way the keyboard works or is it just harder. Will the Iphone 3g improve this?
    4. Use of maps. I have no info on how well the treo800 will use this.
    5. New apps. I'd like to use Slingbox on my iphone, I hope that's coming soon.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Am wandering all over the map with 3 yr old 650. Got a curve, returned it within 24 hours. Looking at centro, not sure I want to commit for 2yrs on older tech. Thinking of 800, move to wm6.1 should be ok. Also considering iphone, but would have to change service from vzw, and not sure about 1 handed ops. Tried samsung i760, and found out that I am definitely wanting a keyboard i can get to immed and use with 1 hand.

Had to get a macbook as a gift for someone last nite, took my son who is in college, and they were offering itouch for free for students (as well as $100 off macbook). So of course I didn't turn them down. Played with it last nite.

Not so sure I can use this one handed. If you are looking at kybd, it works ok. (I don't think I can type 100 wpm on it, but then i can't do it on my 650 either;-). However, I know that I use my 650 one handed wo looking at it. If I know where the 1st letter is, I can move my hands by feel, and dial numbers, make quick responses, etc. Or just look a bit and type pretty well.

Again, I am sure this is something that you adjust to. Originally, I wasn't sure how well I could use the 650 coming from a regular phone, but after a week or so, I adapted pretty well. Having wifi and gps built in is nice. And the iphone for 'real' web browsing is amazing. It looks like your computer, just smaller. I want to see the 800 before I make any choices now.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Not to mention, does it really matter if there's any press for it? If you like it, get it for yourself, and if other people don't, that's really their problem anyway.....
    It matters if you want Palm to be around to make a 900w.
    For anyone who emails from their phone. Touch screen - is a joke.
    Price - iPhone does not compute.
    Style - Yes iPhone is sexy.
    Usability - Palm wins.
    It is pretty simple as far as I am concerned. But yes, we will have to wait and see how Nova pans out.
    In the interim I am up for a Treo. Going to get it today.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyHeyHey View Post
    For anyone who emails from their phone. Touch screen - is a joke.
    Price - iPhone does not compute.
    Style - Yes iPhone is sexy.
    Usability - Palm wins.
    It is pretty simple as far as I am concerned. But yes, we will have to wait and see how Nova pans out.
    In the interim I am up for a Treo. Going to get it today.
    are you saying you tried the iphone for email and it was bad?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast