Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    According to this, 3G iPhone will NOT ship. You must buy and activate in-store only, YUCK! Plus the rates went up for 3G iPhone plans.

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archi...nd-data-p.html

Think I'll stick with the Nokias, HTCs and SEs instead.
    What's the diff between a 3G unlimited user and a 3G unlimited BUSINESS user?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    What's the diff between a 3G unlimited user and a 3G unlimited BUSINESS user?
    About $15 according to AT&T....

Seriously though, as much as I am impressed with what Apple has done, the magic in their work is about the excitement they bring to the field. The 3G is old news. I've had that for two years already. GPS? Nothing unique to the iPhone, a lot of phones have that or are getting that.

But they've got the buzz. They've got the developers moving in their direction. It's what Palm had years ago and now Apple has it. More power to them.

I honestly am a big supporter of the iPhone even though I will never own one. They brought an incredible level of interest to the playing field and every owner of a Windows Mobile or Symbian device should thank Apple. There's now real work being done on mobile browsers that's long overdue. Look at Opera Mobile (Awesome). Look at Skyfire (wow, I love it). Google has some really nice mobile pages, Yahoo! too (though not amazing). Screen resolutions are finally getting pushed up. Adequate level of RAM are finally being put into handsets.

So they can have their wonderful capacitive touch screen (which I am very envious of). But I'll keep my removeable media, A2DP BT capable, tether enabled, removeable battery provided, MMS approved, virtually real keyboard (instead of really virtual) Treo and cheer them on from the sidelines....

Way to go Apple....keep up the good work.

Now about that $199 pricetag....
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    Now about that $199 pricetag....
    Nail. Head. Hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Nail. Head. Hit.
    Well, except that the Palm Marketing Engine would have us think that just because they badge a product as "consumer" (centro) vs "enterprise" (treo 8xx) we should magically imagine there are different value propositions. Likewise, I seem to recall some comparisons suggesting that, by Palm Marketing Engine standards, iPhone wasn't a smartphone at all. I think iPhone 2.0 (and especially the SDK) changes this story dramatically.

No device is perfect, iPhone 2.0 already has things about it I wouldn't mind seeing improved... and it hasn't even shipped. But Palm has a lot of crap to decompose before some of us will sit at their table again.
    Right-o. If Apple had ignored the Business Sector again with the iPhone 2.0, than I wouldn't have given a second thought to those 500+ price tags that Palm places on their devices.

But, now Apple has shown BUSINESS capable devices with a GREAT price tag... so what SteveNYC said above rings true for me, I love what Apple has done to the market, but I'd never own one... so for that, I respect what they've accomplished over the past 1.5 years.
    But, now Apple has shown BUSINESS capable devices with a GREAT price tag...
    Except that Apple's had to drop their price multiple times, as well as ditch the previous agreements.

AT&T is taking a pretty hefty hit on the iPhones, which is why you see some of the new restrictions that you do. (2 year contract, only in-store activation, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Except that Apple's had to drop their price multiple times, as well as ditch the previous agreements.

AT&T is taking a pretty hefty hit on the iPhones, which is why you see some of the new restrictions that you do. (2 year contract, only in-store activation, etc.)
    E,

That's the fine print... the customer (the general customer) sees the bottom line $199/$299 price tag. They even tell friends and family, I got this for 300 bucks, neglecting to mention rebates and whatnot.

But you are right, Apple had to kill (world) exclusivity with AT&T for that... and we all know that AT&T is still happy to have to take churn hits for the iPhone title over T-mo (and even CDMA carriers for that matter, as they all scramble to get the iPhone killer **coughINSTINCTcough**).

I am not sure I follow the whole "price" reduction comment though. In their second generation of device, Apple has reduced the price to less than Palm's devices with rebates attached. What I find odd is people can actually make this statement, "I was going to go with the new Palm but the iPhone was cheaper than the 850." Waiiit, wha?! First off, anything Apple is $$$, secondly, I don't find fault in Apple trying to find that sweet $ spot. They tested the market out realized to stay above the competition it comes down to device costs. The 3G iPhone isn't even "cutting edge" but it's the right mix of tech and cost.
  8.    #28  
    [QUOTE=taroliw;1449264]Well, except that the Palm Marketing Engine would have us think that just because they badge a product as "consumer" (centro) vs "enterprise" (treo 8xx) we should magically imagine there are different value propositions. QUOTE]

Difference being the OS, no?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    It is interesting though that they had to drop the price so much to reach their 10 million target. Since when did Apple have to be the cheapest to sell.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    It is interesting though that they had to drop the price so much to reach their 10 million target. Since when did Apple have to be the cheapest to sell.

Surur
    That is probably why I am so shocked and happy with Apple right now. Does this mean they are going to have a new pricing scheme for all of their products? Perhaps a $600.00 laptop to compete with the likes of Asus EEE-esque machines?

Probably not... but this still shocks me that "they" would rather have market share here over dollars.

Let's not forget, AT&T is taking the real hit. Apple is getting their cash regardless.
  11.    #31  
    That is probably why I am so shocked and happy with Apple right now. Does this mean they are going to have a new pricing scheme for all of their products? Perhaps a $600.00 laptop to compete with the likes of Asus EEE-esque machines?

Probably not... but this still shocks me that "they" would rather have market share here over dollars.

Let's not forget, AT&T is taking the real hit. Apple is getting their cash regardless.
    It seems to me that all they are doing is shifting hardware revenue to the service revenue. HSDPA plans are more- Apple gets a piece of the services each month- so they price the hardware less in order to move more units.

Revenue is revenue, they are making it back on the service side.

So until that $600 laptop requires a pricey monthly service plan for it to work dont bet on seeing one.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    It seems to me that all they are doing is shifting hardware revenue to the service revenue. HSDPA plans are more- Apple gets a piece of the services each month- so they price the hardware less in order to move more units.

Revenue is revenue, they are making it back on the service side.

So until that $600 laptop requires a pricey monthly service plan for it to work dont bet on seeing one.

-Rob
    Revenue sharing is dead. But I suspect Apple must be getting more for the 3G iPhone.

The 2G iPhone was meant to cost about $280, wasnt it, while a 3G iPhone probably cost at least $400.

Surur
  13.    #33  
    What do you mean by revenue sharing is dead?
    What do you mean by revenue sharing is dead?
    As Apple showed off the next generation of iPhone, AT&T (NYSE: T) announced it will no longer share monthly revenue from iPhone customers with Apple.

Instead, the wireless carrier will purchase iPhones from Apple, and then resell them to consumers at a lower cost. The move initially will cost AT&T, but the company said it will be beneficial in the long run because of increased subscribers.
    http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=208403007

Surur
    Just to add, I don't think we will see that laptop either (actually I am not adding it, I said it above).

However, once you set a precedent for CHEAPER hardware, you might end up opening a can of worms you didn't expect... namely consumer pricing expectations for future products.
  16.    #36  
    I did not realize that but the same principal still applies. AT&T grows their revenue and pays Apple more for the phone.

It's still all connected. The bottom line is that the iphone would not hit its pricing standpoint unless there were services attached to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

I still don't see why online sale and activation is taboo. All they had to do was make it a requirement that you sign up for a 2 yr. and ship the phone ONLY after your account is approved. Geez!!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Difference being the OS, no?
    In some cases (like diff 7xx models), no actually. And as I compare the headaches of many colleagues trying to use WM in the enterprise, I think POS still kicks it's *** where it counts (usability and required function). That's part of the reason why I laugh out loud when I hear or read Palm talking about Centro as being completely incapable of Enterprise use. Hogwash. My "consumer" 680 (which Centro replaced) *was* an upgrade of the "enterprise" 650 and does quite well for the same task. The difference? Marketing.

Just because it's Windows and does Exchange don't make it Enterprise. If you think so, I've got some lovely swamp land to sell you... perfect beachfront.

Palm is trying to position it's products without having a real story to deliver other than "well, it's Windows so it's Enterprise." ugh. Next. It'd be easier if Palm just admitted the POS is used (quite effectively, even if it is old and needs Nova badly) in the Enterprise but needs replacement. That they ever were forced down the WM path stuns me... but it's just part of that whole mismanagement extravaganza.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Since when did Apple have to be the cheapest to sell.
    Personally, I interpret it as a reality of the market they're competing in. And if they didn't adjust the price/features ratio, then someone else would. Hence the pressure to drop. And it's worth pointing out that everyone involved will still make their money... just the model by which they get it changed (to conform with existing market). Apple also now has the potential (and very likely) upside of the App Store. Blades, meet razor.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I still don't see why online sale and activation is taboo. All they had to do was make it a requirement that you sign up for a 2 yr. and ship the phone ONLY after your account is approved. Geez!!!
    Yeah... no one's really talking about it, but there's still a part of that AT&T exclusivity hangin' in there. And it's not really an F-U to Verizion (who they'd originally talked to), since they couldn't use this phone anyway. I suspect this is just a modification of their original deal, perhaps even part of their long-term strategy.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast