Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    my 650 was stolen and im now considering buying a Palm refurbished unlocked 650 on ebay. But now the 750 has caughrt my eye, and I can pick it up new for @ $100 more than what I will pay for the factory refurbished Palm 650 (90 day warranty)
    Besides the difference in operating systems, and no antenna, do they really differ that much? I may not even use the internet that much, besides email.

    so, I would love to hear peoples comments, and especially past 650 owners that now own a 750.
  2. #2  
    I came to the 750 from a 650. I was actually waiting to make the switch to a Centro and was holding out for it. However, my 650 was degrading to the point that it was finally unusable (it reset itself 5 times, just in the AT&T store). I had been considering a 750 for a while, and I don't think I'll be going back to Palm OS anytime soon. For every program I had on the 650, I've found one to do something comparable on the 750. It feels smaller and lighter in my hand, and I have had precisely one reset in the > 6 months that I've owned it. I couldn't be happier. Hope this help.s
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins


    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  3. #3  
    Pros:
    1. Radio is better since it has UMTS and HSDPA capabilities (3G).
    2. True multitasking capabilities.
    3. Most Palm OS apps has Windows Mobile equivalents.
    4. Palm OS apps can run on Windows Mobile via StyleTap app.
    5. Form and factor is better than 650. No antennae, slim form, lighter weight.
    6. Ability to charge and surf the web via USB connection.
    7. Better PC synching using Active Synch (XP) or Windows Mobile Device Center (Vista)
    8. Brighter screen.
    9. Better camera (750 = 1.2 megapixels, 650 = VGA)
    10. Better Bluetooth Connectivity
    11. Ability to use most of the Treo 650 accessories.
    12. Ability to use SDHC cards larger than 4 gig (Treo 650 can do this with custom ROM hacks).
    13. Improved QUERTY keyboard compared to 650.
    14. Less Resets.

    Cons:
    1. Lower resolution screen (750 = 240 x 240, 650 = 320 x 320)
    2. Poor battery life.
    3. Slower GUI compared to Palm OS. But after a while you'll get used to it.
    4. Palm OS has better PIM apps compared to Windows Mobile.
    5. Palm OS has a lot of freeware compared to Windows Mobile.

    It would better if you test the unit first. Experience is the best teacher.
  4. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #4  
    I disagree about the battery life - I find the 750 about the same if not better than the 650, and I had an "extra capacity" battery for the 650. But I recognize that others have different experiences here.
  5. elsussman's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #5  
    my experience since upgrading to WM6 has been a spectacular improvement in battery life. I virtually never have to replace battery with my spare during the day even with heavy use

    Elihu
  6. ShuckyD's Avatar
    Posts
    157 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    #6  
    I use a Treo750 running WM6 daily and with alot of use and I cant say enough how much I LOVE MY PHONE, but the upgrade to WM6 really made all the difference, I had alot of buggy issues with WM5, storage cards, etc. Battery life did lengthen with the upgrade as well, but the TreoStore has a 1600mah battery that will fix inside the OEM case without adding any thickness.
  7. #7  
    Power management is definitely better under WM6. For those in GSM/EDGE areas, this translates to longer runtime between charges.

    However, WM6 also enables 3G/HSDPA which is a larger power drain. It's about an even offset though. I got a full day out of WM5 on GSM, and get about the same with WM6 on 3G.

    Charge nightly, or in the car if you think about it and you'll have no problems. Also, WM6 charges over the sync cable so you're charging when you sync.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

    My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
  8. #8  
    I miss some things about the palm os, like ease of use. But, there are 3 things I like about the 750 that make it a keeper on a GSM network. Reception, bluetooth stereo, and internet speed. The reception is SOOOO much better than the 650. Its gonna make you mad when you see what you were missing. Bluetooth is better all around, mono or stereo. Palm os only hits edge speen on GSM. I contrast this with the Palm os devices on Verizon and Sprint which can do 3g speeds. The treo 755 looks awesome but I do not use Sprint or Verizon, and it is super expensive.

    Besides after July 11 (iPhone), anybody who buys a device for more than $199 is going to look like an *****. Hopefully this will drive down the price of the 750 to downright affordable.
  9. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #9  
    The iPhone could be free and I still wouldn't want it. It doesn't do what I need - the 750 does.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    The iPhone could be free and I still wouldn't want it. It doesn't do what I need - the 750 does.
    Agreed. Just try to get your iphone to talk to exchange, for instance.

    Completely unsuitable as a corporate device.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

    My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
  11. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #11  
    Supposedly the Exchange issue is addressed with the new model. But, no tethering, no third-party applications, no physical keys are all issues for me. I'm not saying that the iPhone isn't excellent for many, but it isn't for everyone.
  12. ace587's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    935 Global Posts
    #12  
    get the 750 its way better, and an awesome phone, had mine for a year now
  13. #13  
    I agree with roydok's statement, especially when you upgrade to WM6

    Quote Originally Posted by roydok View Post
    Pros:
    1. Radio is better since it has UMTS and HSDPA capabilities (3G).
    2. True multitasking capabilities.
    3. Most Palm OS apps has Windows Mobile equivalents.
    4. Palm OS apps can run on Windows Mobile via StyleTap app.
    5. Form and factor is better than 650. No antennae, slim form, lighter weight.
    6. Ability to charge and surf the web via USB connection.
    7. Better PC synching using Active Synch (XP) or Windows Mobile Device Center (Vista)
    8. Brighter screen.
    9. Better camera (750 = 1.2 megapixels, 650 = VGA)
    10. Better Bluetooth Connectivity
    11. Ability to use most of the Treo 650 accessories.
    12. Ability to use SDHC cards larger than 4 gig (Treo 650 can do this with custom ROM hacks).
    13. Improved QUERTY keyboard compared to 650.
    14. Less Resets.

    Cons:
    1. Lower resolution screen (750 = 240 x 240, 650 = 320 x 320)
    2. Poor battery life.
    3. Slower GUI compared to Palm OS. But after a while you'll get used to it.
    4. Palm OS has better PIM apps compared to Windows Mobile.
    5. Palm OS has a lot of freeware compared to Windows Mobile.

    It would better if you test the unit first. Experience is the best teacher.
    Treo 90, Palm Tungsten W, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T)
  14. #14  
    I'm considering an upgrade to 750 myself, but am concerned about apps like Mapopopolis, pTunes, TCPMP, and Worldmate, etc. running on Windows mobile via StyleTap.

    How about email? Is Versamail still the default? Also, how do I get all my contacts out of Palm Desktop into Windows Mobile?

    Etc. etc. - lots of other questions, but I'll keep researching...

    Thanks,

    Greg
  15. holmes4's Avatar
    Posts
    982 Posts
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    #15  
    On Windows Mobile, you get the Microsoft email application, which in WM6 is decent. I have not yet found a third-party email client I like more.

    Contacts - if you sync with Outlook on the desktop, they'll get to the 750 automatically. If you sync to Palm Desktop, you have more work to do. I'd install Outlook (a copy comes with the 750 usually), reinstall the Palm software specifying to sync with Outlook, make sure you set HotSync to "handheld overwrites desktop" and sync. You'll need Outlook with the 750 anyway.

    Let me suggest that you try native apps before trying to run all the Palm apps under StyleTap.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    On Windows Mobile, you get the Microsoft email application, which in WM6 is decent. I have not yet found a third-party email client I like more.

    Contacts - if you sync with Outlook on the desktop, they'll get to the 750 automatically. If you sync to Palm Desktop, you have more work to do. I'd install Outlook (a copy comes with the 750 usually), reinstall the Palm software specifying to sync with Outlook, make sure you set HotSync to "handheld overwrites desktop" and sync. You'll need Outlook with the 750 anyway.

    Let me suggest that you try native apps before trying to run all the Palm apps under StyleTap.
    I was hoping to avoid Outlook, since I use it at work, and actually hate it, but oh well...

    I agree that I'd have to try each app. individually under StyleTap.

    Thanks,

    Greg
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss View Post
    I agree that I'd have to try each app. individually under StyleTap.
    I don't think he meant to try each app individually under StyleTap. I think he meant that there are WM Equivalents that you might want to check out first. They will run more efficiently than if you're running the Palm version under StyleTap. For example, TCPMP has a WM version.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins


    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    I don't think he meant to try each app individually under StyleTap. I think he meant that there are WM Equivalents that you might want to check out first. They will run more efficiently than if you're running the Palm version under StyleTap. For example, TCPMP has a WM version.
    I understand - I just don't want to end up having to re-purchase the WM versions.

    Thanks,

    Greg
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    Supposedly the Exchange issue is addressed with the new model. But, no tethering, no third-party applications, no physical keys are all issues for me. I'm not saying that the iPhone isn't excellent for many, but it isn't for everyone.
    As of July 11th, 3rd party apps will be supported. Other issues not resolved.

Posting Permissions