Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Long time Palm OS user , almost a decade since the Handspring Visor. And I love the Palm OS but after seeing the stats on this 800W I am almost ready to move to this and leave palm behind. I still love the palm OS and I have my trusty Centro with me at all times but this phone has everything I ever wanted. 2.1 phone , wifi etc. Probally the only thing holding me back might be the cost of replacing all my apps I paid for over the years.

Any other Palm OS devotees thinking of jumping the ship for this phone. I feel so gulity thinking about it. LOL. But this phone looks sweet.
    I have jumped 3 times and kept coming back. I will jump again for the 800W due to the OS and its size. Like you though I also hate spending more money, but I am to the point that I am not interested in customizing it like I did the Palm OS devices - I plan on keeping it fairly stock.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    You will be happy if you go with Window OS.
    Last edited by Hicks; 06/13/2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Removed frowned upon content
    I have went back and forth a few times. I used palm for 4 years, WM for a year, palm for 6 months, WM for a year, palm for 32 days, WM now again for 8 months.

I have replace every palm app I had with WM apps. Many developers offered this to me at no charge. Other developers gave me 1/2 off when switching to the WM version.

Palm has major drawbacks so even when I start to miss palm OS and try a new hot palm OS device,,,,,,,,, It doesn't last long,,,,,,,, I come right back to WM. The only problem with WM is that it is slower than palm to launch an application........... that's it. That's the only drawback. The drawbacks with palm OS are many IMHO,,,,(for me). After using WM for a while it feels just as intuitive and user friendly as palm.
    I've posted this same thing in other threads - I too was a long time Palm OS crazy. Long time, as in from the very start - Palm Pilot Personal, then added one of the 512Kb cards to get it to the full 1Mb of memory (wasn't I cool when i put that card in the back of the Palm Pilot!). Then a Palm III, then V, then Vx (later added an Omnisky wireless modem, with the Omnisky wireless service - I was doing wireless email and browsing back in 99!), then a Kyocera 6035, then a Treo300, then a 600, then a 650). So I was about as insane for Palm OS as anyone could be. Every app out there I'd either tried and/or rejected. And during all those times I looked with scorn at all the various iPaqs and other WinCE machines - what a bunch of garbage they seemed to me.
    But when Palm and VZ came out with the 700w, I thought I'd take a run, and honestly (yes even with the 700w's lack of memory - I later went to the WX thankfully) I cannot imagine going back to the Palm OS. There is not one app that I've missed - I just find WM to be more overall....polished, I guess is the word. The core PIM apps are just better - contacts, calendar, notes, tasks - all of it. And don't get me started on VersaMail - it's fine for my wife and her Centro, with her Yahoo, but I need more than VM can deliver (most notably, subfolders ALWAYS displaying for me). Yes I know about Chatter and Snapper - but I have all that now with WM.

Bottom line - a PALM Windows Mobile device is usually a different animal than a stock WM device, with their goodness and such - all one-handed, etc. Give the 800w (or whatever it will be called) a shot when it comes out, and as long as you have an open mind, you'll most likiely be very happy.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Very similar background with Palm as you JohnnMac. I still have the box from my upgrade to the Pilot "Professional". Re: the hot new infrared port included with the memory and cover.
    The comment about Palm's implementation of WinMob is spot on. No one does it better imho. Despite the limitations (bluetooth) of previous Palm hardware, they have consistently outperformed similarly spec'd hardware and have been much easier to use (especially one handed.)
    For those who use it, multi-tasking can be hard to give up when going back to the Palm OS. However, there is a lot to be said for the OS' simplicity and durability.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    So, I had a 600, a 700p, and a 755p. I recently switched to the (WM Standard) Motorola q9c. The transition wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I do miss a bit about the Palm OS, a couple apps here and there, and it has a simplicity that I think is necessary for a phone, as well as the Treo at least being designed around the fact it has a keyboard. Initiate did this best for my concerns, but even the stock app launcher had it- How come I can't type a few letters to jump to the app I want? WM Standard was designed for a 10 digit keypad so thats an issue. However, WM Pro has its whole own set of issues, namely that it was designed around touchscreen use, whereas its my opinion (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) that you should be able to use a phone one-handed.

However, WM is definitely much more powerful than Palm OS, and the devices themselves just are able to have much better features. I'm hoping Nova works out, because everyone else seems to be moving in the wrong direction. (Ie, Android says it'll be for any type of device but the videos I've seen show its clearly being designed around a touchscreen as well.)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    I've posted this same thing in other threads - I too was a long time Palm OS crazy. Long time, as in from the very start - Palm Pilot Personal, then added one of the 512Kb cards to get it to the full 1Mb of memory (wasn't I cool when i put that card in the back of the Palm Pilot!). Then a Palm III, then V, then Vx (later added an Omnisky wireless modem, with the Omnisky wireless service - I was doing wireless email and browsing back in 99!), then a Kyocera 6035, then a Treo300, then a 600, then a 650). So I was about as insane for Palm OS as anyone could be. Every app out there I'd either tried and/or rejected. And during all those times I looked with scorn at all the various iPaqs and other WinCE machines - what a bunch of garbage they seemed to me.
    But when Palm and VZ came out with the 700w, I thought I'd take a run, and honestly (yes even with the 700w's lack of memory - I later went to the WX thankfully) I cannot imagine going back to the Palm OS. There is not one app that I've missed - I just find WM to be more overall....polished, I guess is the word. The core PIM apps are just better - contacts, calendar, notes, tasks - all of it. And don't get me started on VersaMail - it's fine for my wife and her Centro, with her Yahoo, but I need more than VM can deliver (most notably, subfolders ALWAYS displaying for me). Yes I know about Chatter and Snapper - but I have all that now with WM.

Bottom line - a PALM Windows Mobile device is usually a different animal than a stock WM device, with their goodness and such - all one-handed, etc. Give the 800w (or whatever it will be called) a shot when it comes out, and as long as you have an open mind, you'll most likiely be very happy.
    This is well said and echos my experience as well.

The bottom line is that the windows mobile OS has come a very long way in the last 3-4 years.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  9.    #9  
    I'm probally gonna do it. I also go back as I said. still got the first PDA in my basment. that casio that was the size of a book. just a question my favorite apps are Palm VNC (anything like that for windows) Slingplayer , A backup program. is there a good browser on windows? better than blazer? (not hard to do). is the email program cpmparable to snapper etc. and last I use TCMP (or whatevr the name) and pocket tunes. is there a program to watch movies and listen to music like those?
    those are my concerns I guess.
    Thanks in advance.
  10.    #10  
    sorry forgot to ask what's battery life like in comparison to palm os.
    Opera Mobile 9.5 is an excellent browser for windows mobile (better than Safari mobile), SlingPlayer started on WM, of course you get VNC for WM (which platform does not have it).

In fact most of your software would have direct WM counterparts or ports.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    sorry forgot to ask what's battery life like in comparison to palm os.
    From what I've noticed on my q9c, WM has better power management, so it throttles down the processor when necessary, leading to increased battery life. (You can also change these settings in the registry.)
  13.    #13  
    Thanks Surur and Jhoff80 and everyone else.much appreciated. all my friends and coworkers have Treos with WM and I always get jeoulous on how nice it looks compared to the palm os. I love palm for a decade but its probally time to move into a new operating system. EVen palm is moving away from its OS to nova soon from what I read. Maybe nova will be nice but its probally time if I can afford the 800W.
    Just got myself a 750 from ebay sold by one user here. I, as a user, is going for a long learning curve. Took me 3 days to figure out the OK key. I still haven't fully moved over as I still keep asking myself the same question: How do you do this in WM when you easily do that in Palm for 1 or 2 steps? Darn memory is no bigger than my 650 after the OS and one software. Still getting used to smaller view area for IE, why did they have to put that darn bottom bar with the keyboard below, menu and back.

The other challenge is the cost of software. It took me a while to move from the Treo 600 to Treo 650 plus shelling out $ to update the software. It will take me a while to shell out $ again unless something really blows me on this.
  15.    #15  
    Yeah the money is an issue that would hold me back. I have alot of games I play regulary and I would atleast want to replace some. I see there is something called styletap that allows some Palm Apps to run on Windows , May save some money.
    I agree with all of the sentiments here. I plan on moving from my Treo 700P to the Treo 800w when it is released.

Another thing that influenced me was the recent commentary by Colligan that the Nova, the replacement to the Palm OS, would be strategically placed at the prosumer portion of the market and the Treo would be the Enterprise side of the market. To me, that places the "Nova" line lower than the Treo line right out of the starting gate. It's almost about setting diminished expectations.

I continue to hope for success from Nova, but I just have my doubts. With iPhone 2.0 coming out on Monday, WM continuing to progress, the eventual release of Android from Google; I just continue to wonder how much support a new OS from Palm can hope to get in the developer community. One OS (Nova) for only their line of phones (Palm) does not spell success to me at all. Palm is not Apple, they can't pull that off.

But I've been using Palm devices for probably 10 years at this point and I've always liked their products, so I still hope for the best.
  17.    #17  
    If i knew the new Palm phones with the Nova Operating system were coming out anythime soon I might wait as its suppsoed to be better than Palm os and backwards compatible with old palm programs. But I cant be sure it will have Wifi or a better camera and you cant even be sure what service provider will be releasing it. Palm usually releases new stuff on Sprint but whats to say they will not release it on another carrier and myself who is locked into a 2 year plan with Sprint cant get it. So its looking like i am going to jump and if by chance the nova comes out and its good maybe jump back.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post

Another thing that influenced me was the recent commentary by Colligan that the Nova, the replacement to the Palm OS, would be strategically placed at the prosumer portion of the market and the Treo would be the Enterprise side of the market. To me, that places the "Nova" line lower than the Treo line right out of the starting gate. It's almost about setting diminished expectations.
    I, for one, am not putting too much weight on Colligan's remarks. There is nothing to say that a "prosumer" or even a "consumer" product won't do what I need it to do for my business including interfacing with Exchange. Who is to say that a program such as Chatter (maybe Palm bought it for a reason) won't work with Nova in a new and useful way to push exchange (and maybe even PIM data).

I will pick the best device for me regardless of whether it is called an enterprise or prosumer model.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    So, I'm in the same boat and also have questions on which of those "must-have" POS apps have counterparts in WinMob. Specifically:

• Butler -- Most essential for alarms and keylauncher (single assignable key to launch an app). Also useful for remote lock/wipe
    • NV Backup -- or similar. Maybe a lack of crashes in WinMob vs my 700P makes this redundant

I'm assuming Windows Media Player does a decent enough job replacing Kinoma and/or TCPMP. Also assuming games like Chuzzle, Bejewled, etc have WinMob counterparts...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
    I'm assuming Windows Media Player does a decent enough job replacing Kinoma and/or TCPMP.
    Unfortunately, Kinoma customers who've made the transition to WinMo report that WMP doesn't even begin to do what Kinoma Player does.

Many people coming from Palm OS use StyleTap in order to continue using Kinoma Player on WinMo, and we support StyleTap officially.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast