Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yes, Chatter is a million times better than Pocket Outlook. As for using Exchange Active Sync, not that it matters anymore, but at my old company, to officially use the Exchange Server, you had to VPN into the network, which most employees (myself included) didn't have access to. However, Chatter's "forms" type login, which I'm not entirely sure how it worked, I'd guess that it somehow parsed the Outlook Web Access page, was entirely capable of getting push email from the exchange server without having to jump through hoops. It's the only email program I've ever used that can do that. In general, sure, Pocket Outlook implements EAS a little better, because it has the capability of calendar and contact syncing (which aren't that important to me really), but Chatter in addition to being a better email program in many other ways (usability, summary mode, etc) and supporting IMAP IDLE mode for IMAP push (which is again, very important to me for my other email address) is the only one to do this and yes, that made it even better for EAS for me. (Though that's currently irrelevant since I'm no longer employed there and now only have IMAP accounts anyway.)

You make some good points. It is worth noting though that in no way is VPN access something that is required to use outlook/exchange/EAS. It sounds like you had an inept IT group or were running a version of exchange prior to 2003SP2.

I enter server and domain settings right into my treo, and within a few minutes all of my contacts and calender entries are there as well as both incoming and sent email. When I send an email from my PC, it shows in my treos sent mail. Etc, vice versa.

9/10 times incoming mail shows up on the treo before it does on my desktop.

However, you can only have one exchange mail account, (true push email), for others you are forced to manually sync, or poll every x minutes. I forward my gmail to my sprint email address which sends me an SMS notification, then I manually poll.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    robber: I understand entirely that VPN isn't usually required for email but for some reason that company wanted it to be. I think its because those who had VPN access were held to tighter regulations maybe, not entirely sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    robber: I understand entirely that VPN isn't usually required for email but for some reason that company wanted it to be. I think its because those who had VPN access were held to tighter regulations maybe, not entirely sure.

If it was more than 3 years ago they probably just had an older version of exchange that did not support direct push.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Echo most of the comments here. we are going from 700p's to 800w as soon as they are available on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    It is worth noting though that in no way is VPN access something that is required to use outlook/exchange/EAS. It sounds like you had an inept IT group or were running a version of exchange prior to 2003SP2.
    It's also worth noting that many companies (like the one I work for ) primarily support BB's, and don't support pushing to WM devices.

While the pieces all may be there, they're not all put together.

I've talked with my exchange admin, and it's on his list of things to do, but a very low priority as 98+% of the VP's and Directors around here use BB instead of WM.
    I thought that is a company supported OWA,it near automatically support Exchange Activesync. I may be wrong however.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It's also worth noting that many companies (like the one I work for ) primarily support BB's, and don't support pushing to WM devices.

While the pieces all may be there, they're not all put together.

I've talked with my exchange admin, and it's on his list of things to do, but a very low priority as 98+% of the VP's and Directors around here use BB instead of WM.
    No question, BB is incredibly entrenched.

However, I think you will see the trend start to change as Exchange functionality continues to expand. Most companies run exchange and at the end of the day running a seperate BES server and subjecting your email data to an additional (and unneccessary) network traversal (a network which has failed in the past) just doesnt make any sense. Exchange does it natively now which is a somewhat recent development.

In addition, BBs are not cheap. The data plans are at least 2x what a standard WM plan would be with most carriers. Companies will eventually catch onto this.

IT people in general simply dont like change. They are understaffed most of the time and going out on a limb to improve operations or cut costs is the last thing these guys want to do. They think reactively, when something breaks they fix it. Your IT admin is a perfect example- enabling direct push is simple and all the components are there- it is just more work and something else to manage.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Long time Palm OS user , almost a decade since the Handspring Visor. And I love the Palm OS but after seeing the stats on this 800W I am almost ready to move to this and leave palm behind. I still love the palm OS and I have my trusty Centro with me at all times but this phone has everything I ever wanted. 2.1 phone , wifi etc. Probally the only thing holding me back might be the cost of replacing all my apps I paid for over the years.

Any other Palm OS devotees thinking of jumping the ship for this phone. I feel so gulity thinking about it. LOL. But this phone looks sweet.
    I've certainly thought about it regarding the 800w, 850, and the Nova OS Treo that's supposed to be coming out... but there are a few things that give me pause:

* My current Treo (755p) is still doing its job.
    * Cost of abandoning old and buying new applications.
    * Going to an "untested" product.
    * Lack of familiarity with WM.
    * BIGGIE: The fact or opinion that Palm screwed over early adopters of their previous "leap" models. Lack of support and information for 700p users plus putting out the 700wx (with suped-up specs) not long after people bought the 700w.

I do not want to be abandoned by Palm in such a way.

For now I'll using my Freedom Bluetooth Keychain GPS thingee thingee with my 755p and just do without wifi.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    hello guys

I would like to know about phone, mwg or o2 if anybody could tell me some thing about them that would be nice.

thanks you.
    Quote Originally Posted by same View Post
    hello guys

I would like to know about phone, mwg or o2 if anybody could tell me some thing about them that would be nice.

thanks you.
    I don't know what those things are.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't know what those things are.
    O2 is a cellphone carrier in UK
    mwg used to be the manufacturer of O2 Asia's smartphones, but now spun off.

Now we know that, we still downt know what he's asking

Surur
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Well after owning the Sprint Touch for 2 weeks I give up and I'm going back to my Centro. I loved the WM 6.1 with GPS but I couldn't get used to not having a keyboard. I used Touchpal, which is the only way to type on a no keyboard device, but I still found I need a builtin keyboard. Looks like the 800w might fit the bill perfect.
  13.    #53  
    Wait for the Touch pro I think in OCtober. That phone is gonna blow people away. 3mp camera with flash , Wifi , TV out so can use it like a laptop, full keyboard , wifi , gps , fm radio. Only thing with that is its like an inch thich. and I wonder how much somethinglike that would cost. Im going to grab a 800W but if I like WM I may make the jump to the TOuch pro. If not then I wait for the Palm Nova . July 13th cant come quick enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Wait for the Touch pro I think in OCtober. That phone is gonna blow people away. 3mp camera with flash , Wifi , TV out so can use it like a laptop, full keyboard , wifi , gps , fm radio. Only thing with that is its like an inch thich. and I wonder how much somethinglike that would cost. Im going to grab a 800W but if I like WM I may make the jump to the TOuch pro. If not then I wait for the Palm Nova . July 13th cant come quick enough.
    Its a slider though, and to me (and many others) the keyboard is necessary for any usage. If thats the case, why bother with a slider in the first place? It takes a few more seconds every time before any data entry to open the slider, so it really just gets in the way. Besides, a touchscreen interface doesn't usually work very well one-handed since there's few physical buttons for anything.
  15.    #55  
    Ofcourse I have never used a slider so I can not comment on its usage. YOu may well be right. WOuld have been great if it had a keyboard on it like the treo instead of the slider concept But other than that aspect have you seen the specs. i is pretty awsome. My issue is if its as thick as it looks would I want it. its all a personal choice. For me the big issues with my purchase would be 3rd party apps , Camera , Wifi . the FM radio is terriffic, the ability to plug it into the TV and use the TV screen as a monitor is pretty terrriffic too.
    My thing with my phone over the years is to get every ascpect of it into one phone. Back in the days I used to carry a cellphone , pda , camera , . ( Portable tv only on vacations) and then I got my prism with sprint phone. now its just my cellphone and camera . Now with the 800 and its 2MP camera ( my regular camera is a 2mp) I will be able to ditch the camera ecept in the dark. I also have a fm radio I wear to work to listen to the radio and the Touch Pro with its flash and FM radio I can ditch those 2 leaving me with one device .also when I go on vacation and away I bring a laptop , can ditch that in some circumstances and hook the Touch Pro to the TV and use it to surf the web etc. we shall see. But thats in the end of the year. For now I am focused on the 800W as it does almost everything i want.
    I had a slider for 1 week. The configuration of the Treo series is what I am interested in.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123