Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Is single handed navigation as good as PalmOS?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Is single handed navigation as good as PalmOS?
    From what I've heard, the Palm devices have this improved. However, this is one of the reasons I went with a WM Standard phone (no touchscreen) as opposed to a WM Pro phone. Since there's no touchscreen, developers are forced to make things work with one hand (as well as the OS working better in general for one-handed use). WM Pro device makers in general seem to be going for more flashy touchscreen design than one-handed ness. Even still though, I find that in many ways Palm OS worked better with one hand. Its not any specifics I can think of, just subtle differences in how they're handled really.

Like I said, haven't used a Palm WM Pro device myself though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    However, this is one of the reasons I went with a WM Standard phone (no touchscreen) as opposed to a WM Pro phone.
    That's like....cutting off your right hand so you can learn to write better with your left.

The one handed operation of the 700wx is spectacular. Coming from a 650 (which had great one handed functionality), one handed use was a big deal for me. The 700wx isn't quite as good as the 650, but it's still excellent.

The Palm tweaks make a big difference, but MS has done an excellent job with their design.
    In what way is the 650 better than the 700wx?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's like....cutting off your right hand so you can learn to write better with your left.
    Maybe that's your opinion, but after trying both, I much preferred WM Standard.

Like I said though, I didn't use any Palm products because they didn't have some of the features that I wanted at the time. I probably won't upgrade to the 800w, am very happy with my current phone, but if it'd been available when I switched, I'd have considered it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    In what way is the 650 better than the 700wx?

The 650 can be operated 100% one handed. The 700wx is only 90-95%, the 750 though seems to even further close on that gap.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    I am also thinking of going with the Treo 800W when it is released because I am tired of my 700P.

What programs do you like and use?

Is there something that does background push from Gmail like Chatter email does?

My other favorites are stock manager, weatherchannel, backup (using Resco) callblock, Butler, Technician, Callrec, Cardreader, munduIM, checklist, and TryDA.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    You will be happy if you go with Window OS. More warez!
    Quote Originally Posted by estroh View Post
    Is there something that does background push from Gmail like Chatter email does?
    In my experience, no email program, for ANY operating system, has lived up to Chatter Email, unfortunately. For Gmail on WM you can use Seven's beta email program, which gets a signal from the Gmail server to signal the push, however it doesn't work with most IMAP servers that way (doesn't use IMAP IDLE) but only a few.

Every single other email application has fallen short, quite frankly. I guess Chatter has put my standards too high lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    In my experience, no email program, for ANY operating system, has lived up to Chatter Email, unfortunately. For Gmail on WM you can use Seven's beta email program, which gets a signal from the Gmail server to signal the push, however it doesn't work with most IMAP servers that way (doesn't use IMAP IDLE) but only a few.

Every single other email application has fallen short, quite frankly. I guess Chatter has put my standards too high lol.

You think "chatter" is better than Exchange Active Sync?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    ActiveSync is a protocol not a program. IMHO, Chatter is superior to Versamail, SnapperMail and even pocket outlook. But that is because I control my Exchange server and have IMAP IDLE.
    Last edited by gadgetfreak; 06/13/2008 at 01:46 PM.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    ActiveSync is a protocol not a program. IMHO, Chatter is superior to Versamail, SnapperMail and even pocket outlook. But that is because I control my Exchange server and have IMAP IDLE.
    Activesync is a program, exchange activesync is a protocol.

Your the one that decided to get technical.
    I forgot to put the word Exchange in but that IS what you were referring to. But, now that you mentioned it, please enlighten me. What is the ActiveSync program that competes with Chatter?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    I forgot to put the word Exchange in but that IS what you were referring to. But, now that you mentioned it, please enlighten me. What is the ActiveSync program that competes with Chatter?
    So you are saying that you were typing quickly, and forgot a word/called something the wrong name. And even though the context of the thread made it clear what you were referring to- some smart *** came in and corrected you- Which ironically you found annoying.

Hmmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    You think "chatter" is better than Exchange Active Sync?
    Yes, Chatter is a million times better than Pocket Outlook. As for using Exchange Active Sync, not that it matters anymore, but at my old company, to officially use the Exchange Server, you had to VPN into the network, which most employees (myself included) didn't have access to. However, Chatter's "forms" type login, which I'm not entirely sure how it worked, I'd guess that it somehow parsed the Outlook Web Access page, was entirely capable of getting push email from the exchange server without having to jump through hoops. It's the only email program I've ever used that can do that. In general, sure, Pocket Outlook implements EAS a little better, because it has the capability of calendar and contact syncing (which aren't that important to me really), but Chatter in addition to being a better email program in many other ways (usability, summary mode, etc) and supporting IMAP IDLE mode for IMAP push (which is again, very important to me for my other email address) is the only one to do this and yes, that made it even better for EAS for me. (Though that's currently irrelevant since I'm no longer employed there and now only have IMAP accounts anyway.)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'll chime in since I have already jumped from a 700p to a Tilt.

The amount of power this WM6.0 thing has is quite amazing. The 800w/850 sorta matches the Tilt specs, so extrapolating experiences I can tell you the jump is entirely possible and even delightfull. You'll have minor headaches adjusting in the beginning and have problems coming to terms with the fact that WM is capable of running many things at the same time, vesus Palm OS single-threaded nature.

The one-handed operation is entirely possible. I can browse anything in the phone with one hand, either with the jog-dial or with the 5-way navigator. The problem with the Tilt is the slide-out keyboard, you need two hands to type anything; in that regard the 800w should provide a better one-hand experience given the front-facing KB and compact size.

WM has come a long way. I don't see any memory issues that were long mentioned with the 700w.

I have to yet dive into software apps, but browsing here and there I have found a couple of WM apps that mimic very closely what I had in PalmOS. A pain to shell out cash for them though. PalmOS had many free apps around but I am sure if I search enough I should find something similar in the WM nation.

In the Email front, I have to admit that for whatever reason, it was easier for me to set up email in Versamail than in Outlook mobile (shocking I know!). It may be AT&T's fault though, my old SMTP server does not seem to work in that network but in Verizon it worked flawlessly in Versamail. I found a way around it so is not such a big deal. Anyhow other than that my email is as solid as it ever was in my 700p days.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I am also strongly leaning towards moving to WM6.1.

My main concern, is will my calendar and contacts (DateBk6) convert over?
    The calendar I could do manually if needed, but with over 900 entries, don't even want to consider that for the contacts.

So, will the data convert?
    RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    I am also strongly leaning towards moving to WM6.1.

My main concern, is will my calendar and contacts (DateBk6) convert over?
    The calendar I could do manually if needed, but with over 900 entries, don't even want to consider that for the contacts.

So, will the data convert?
    Sync to outlook,and WM will automatically sync from there.

BTW, backup, backup, backup.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Sync to outlook,and WM will automatically sync from there.

BTW, backup, backup, backup.

Surur
    OK, I don't have Outlook, so that option won't work.
    What about export/import csv file? Would that convert from Palm to WM?
    RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    OK, I don't have Outlook, so that option won't work.
    What about export/import csv file? Would that convert from Palm to WM?
    Windows Mobile is all about outlook. You basically need it to have access to your PIM on the desktop.

Many WM phones ship with outlook. I dont know if this Treo will, but the Treo 750 shipped with Outlook 2002.

Surur
    OK, that would simplify things a lot if Outlook comes with.

Appreciate your quick responses!

Thanks
    RJuhl
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast