Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Ouch. $600? I hope it will come down in a few months.
    I would assume that $600 is full retail. I would look for it to be around $300 with a contract, but that's just a guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    I would assume that $600 is full retail. I would look for it to be around $300 with a contract, but that's just a guess.
    past reports on WMExperts and elsewhere have said $249 w/ 2 year contract and rebates.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    $249 is not too bad.
    I dunno... Considering what the iPhones are going to sell for I'm not so sure...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I dunno... Considering what the iPhones are going to sell for I'm not so sure...
    It's right in the middle between the two iPhone models, plus we shouldn't overlook that the iPhone forces you into a pricier plan. I certainly wouldn't complain if Sprint gave me an even better break on the 800w, but I simply don't see the iPhone as a viable option. Touchscreen bad! Smudgy all over bad! Call quality (previous model, anyway) bad!

I know some people are trying to decide between the black slabs and QWERTY models, but I just don't undertsand it. I greatly dislike the all-touchscreen interfaces, every one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post
    It's right in the middle between the two iPhone models, plus we shouldn't overlook that the iPhone forces you into a pricier plan. I certainly wouldn't complain if Sprint gave me an even better break on the 800w, but I simply don't see the iPhone as a viable option. Touchscreen bad! Smudgy all over bad! Call quality (previous model, anyway) bad!

I know some people are trying to decide between the black slabs and QWERTY models, but I just don't undertsand it. I greatly dislike the all-touchscreen interfaces, every one.
    Don't worry... I'm not an iPhone fanboy but $599.00 compared to $200.00 or $300.00 seems a bit steep... Especially considering the internal storage capacity of the iPhones.

I'll probably end up milking my 700wx a bit longer anyway just for lack of funds and custom ROMs.
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Don't worry... I'm not an iPhone fanboy but $599.00 compared to $200.00 or $300.00 seems a bit steep... Especially considering the internal storage capacity of the iPhones.
    That's apples and oranges.

The 800w is reportedly $249.99 after subsidies; iPhone $199-$299.

Why the difference at all? AT&T is paying $325 per iPhone ($425 if bought in an Apple store) which is about $125 more than what they usually pay for a smartphone subsidy. AT&T is actually loosing money on the deal till about 2010. It's like the xbox for MS years ago.

You can't even buy the iPhone out of contract/full price which would be quite high as usual. Either way, a subsidized or un-subsidized 800w on a SERO plan will pay off in the long run as far as true costs.

Going further, HTC Diamonds are about $700-900 full retail.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That's apples and oranges.

The 800w is reportedly $249.99 after subsidies; iPhone $199-$299.

Why the difference at all? AT&T is paying $325 per iPhone ($425 if bought in an Apple store) which is about $125 more than what they usually pay for a smartphone subsidy. AT&T is actually loosing money on the deal till about 2010. It's like the xbox for MS years ago.

You can't even buy the iPhone out of contract/full price which would be quite high as usual. Either way, a subsidized or un-subsidized 800w on a SERO plan will pay off in the long run as far as true costs.

Going further, HTC Diamonds are about $700-900 full retail.
    if you factor in the additional cost of the plan, the iphone is a lot more expensive. but you do of course get a far better piece of hardware with the iphone. its basically a mini mac where you can watch videos, browse the net (which does not require a lot if keyboard input) and do gmail etc.

i am pretty sure ill be going iphone. then maybe coming back in a month or two for the htc touch pro.

oh and I didn't know that you could not buy the iphone unsubsidized. that doesnt make sense given some people will have to buy it without a subsidiy if they are already att customers or if they just bought a 2g iphone. i imagine they will have an option to buy it--it will just be 499/599..something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    if you factor in the additional cost of the plan, the iphone is a lot more expensive. but you do of course get a far better piece of hardware with the iphone. its basically a mini mac where you can watch videos, browse the net (which does not require a lot if keyboard input) and do gmail etc.
    No doubt the iPhone 3g will be a solid device, but I still consider the Treo better suited for dedicated email (attachment support), calendar and task support. iPhone is great multimedia device, where as a Treo I think is a better messenger one. Plus the unlocked GPS will be nice.
    i am pretty sure ill be going iphone. then maybe coming back in a month or two for the htc touch pro.
    I'm not expecting that device till at least mid fall. Just a hunch.
    oh and I didn't know that you could not buy the iphone unsubsidized. that doesnt make sense given some people will have to buy it without a subsidiy if they are already att customers or if they just bought a 2g iphone. i imagine they will have an option to buy it--it will just be 499/599..something like that.
    If already a customer, they can purchase the iPhone 3g at the given rate but they have to sign up for another 2 years and move up to the minimum $70 a month plan.

AT&T and Apple have been pretty clear: no purchases of the iPhone without a 2 year contract. When you buy it in the store (either one), they will have to create an account for you right then and there.

That's also why the device is launching worldwide at the same time--no more purchasing and exporting. Every phone bought will be tied to a new AT&T account. They're going to be strict about this, especially since AT&T is forking over so much cash for the darn thing.

And that's the trade off for it being $199. Though perhaps AT&T will shift on this in the future; we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    No doubt the iPhone 3g will be a solid device, but I still consider the Treo better suited for dedicated email (attachment support), calendar and task support. iPhone is great multimedia device, where as a Treo I think is a better messenger one. Plus the unlocked GPS will be nice.
    My thoughts exactly. Messaging and other typing-intensive things are my secondary need in a device (primary is, still, phone calls!). Multimedia, I don't really care about. If I want visual entertainment, I go to the computer or TV, so I don't need my device to be all screen. I don't listen to the iPod I have already, much, so even music functionality is far in the backseat.

When I want entertainment on the go, or even at home, I still read books. Apple's entertainment gadgetry is lost on me.

tangentially: Mal, what the heck is your avatar?
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrOfJustiz View Post

tangentially: Mal, what the heck is your avatar?
    lol, self portrait

naaa...

Why it's Dan Halen from Adult Swim (Cartoon Networks)'s Squidbillies!

Vid Clip 1

Vid Clip 2

Went into a Sprint store and asked about the 800w and the reps had no idea about the street date. Neither did the manager! I'd expect better since their headquarters used to be right down the street.... Maybe they're told to play dumb until July.

Mal: thought I recognized the drawing style, but wasn't familiar with the character. Haven't seen more than a handful of Squidbillies episodes.
    I visited a local store and was told they would be getting them to learn on within a week and when asked if I could play, the answer was yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I visited a local store and was told they would be getting them to learn on within a week and when asked if I could play, the answer was yes.
    Oooo.... I may have to bug my local store in a week and see if I can play as well. Thanks for the info!
    Grant Smith

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

Stores always get them a week before. How I got my Centro a week earlry. Think I need to go see my sprint guy this weekend and have a chat.
    Surprised no one has posted this yet. In the new Sprint Playbook it states that the 800w will be release July 10th (keep in mind that might be Telesales or Business accounts first), as well as the Red Blackberry Curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by vicn77 View Post
    Surprised no one has posted this yet. In the new Sprint Playbook it states that the 800w will be release July 10th (keep in mind that might be Telesales or Business accounts first), as well as the Red Blackberry Curve.
    link? pic? scan?
    no link, no pic, no scan.

not trying to lose my job. there should be another sprint employee who can verify this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vicn77 View Post
    no link, no pic, no scan.

not trying to lose my job. there should be another sprint employee who can verify this.
    Good reason.

Since I'm almost certainly going to be getting mine online through SERO, an earlier release for telesales (online sales follow the same timeline, right?) would be great!
    Not really sure...I believe the Instinct wasn't available on the SERO site when it was released. I could be wrong, hopefully it will be available for ya!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast