1.    #1  
    I've developed a new problem.

For the past year or so I've been syncing like this:
    An exchange server syncing calendar, contacts, tasks, & email
    and
    A desktop PC with Outlook syncing calendar, contacts, & tasks (via BT)
    This worked perfectly.

I got a new desktop PC and am no longer able to do this. For example if I have contacts checked under the exchange server and try to check it under the desktop PC it will not let me. It says I have to first uncheck it under the exchange server. Basically I can't have the same thing checked under both exchange and desktop. Hopefully this makes sense. I know that I can't sync email on both - nor do I want to.

I'm using Activesync 4.5 and WM6.

I have come across other threads at various places where others have similar problems, but I've yet to see a solution.

Can anyone help? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shannon
    would be interested in this one too as I have the same problem. As I am in and out of the office quite a bit I can't be bothered having to change settings all the time so I just have it sync through the exchange server.
  3.    #3  
    This is the way I have my set up currently as well, however the desktop PC that I'd also like to sync (contacts, calendar & tasks) with isn't served by my exchange server. I need help...

Thanks,
    Shannon
    Scollins, that's the way it's designed to work.

You can have an Activesync relationship with up to 2 PC's, but any items set to sync with Exchange will ONLY sync with Exchange over-the-air.

Activesync assumes that if you're using Exchange for those items, that you would naturally set up your copies of Outlook to do the same. There's not really anything that allows for syncing with 2 copies of Outlook with different account configurations like that.

If you want to keep calendar, tasks, notes, & contacts synced between both copies of Outlook, then uncheck the Exchange server for those items and just use exchange for real-time email. Then your Treo can sync with both manually, but will no longer sync those items over the air with Exchange.

You can't have it both ways. Either you use Exchange over-the-air or Outlook with local sync connection.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    If this is true about Exchange then I can't believe that Good has actually done something that others can't. We use exchange at my office. but instead of Exchange Activesync we use the devil-developed Goodlink/GMM for our Windows devices. I too synch at work and at home. Of course my calendar, contacts, tasks, etc sync OTA through GMM. i also use activesync at home to sync my contacts and calendar from my desktop. When I do this they do not show up in the GMM contacts, etc, but rather in the pocket outlook apps. However, when I actuallu cable sync my device through activesync with my work computer, those contacts and calendar items do indeed get picked up by GMM. So bottom line is that I am able to sync perfectly with two computers (one being on exchange). but i have to manually cable sync in both instances.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    With Goodlink you're not using ActiveSync for the over-the-air Exchange sync at all, so that leaves it's only job as local syncing via cable.

It also sounds like it maintains a separate contacts list which is probably tied to the mail profile on your work machine.

I never really understood why anyone bought goodlink for WinMo devices as they have been able to talk directly to exchange since WM5. It just adds another layer of complexity and failure points.

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlerner View Post
    Scollins, that's the way it's designed to work.

You can have an Activesync relationship with up to 2 PC's, but any items set to sync with Exchange will ONLY sync with Exchange over-the-air.

Activesync assumes that if you're using Exchange for those items, that you would naturally set up your copies of Outlook to do the same. There's not really anything that allows for syncing with 2 copies of Outlook with different account configurations like that.

If you want to keep calendar, tasks, notes, & contacts synced between both copies of Outlook, then uncheck the Exchange server for those items and just use exchange for real-time email. Then your Treo can sync with both manually, but will no longer sync those items over the air with Exchange.

You can't have it both ways. Either you use Exchange over-the-air or Outlook with local sync connection.
    Thank you for the reply. I do have a new piece of information though. Before when it was working perfectly I was syncing with an exchange server and a desktop PC with Outlook that wasn't being served by an exchange server. The new desktop has Outlook as well and IS being served by an exchange server. This apparently is causing the problem. I went back to the old PC and it worked just fine as it did for over a year, but apparently it doesn't like with the Outlook on the new PC being served by exchange. I wish there was a way around this b/c it's causing major issues for me...Maybe I'm just stuck..

Thanks,
    Shannon
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I do have a new piece of information though. Before when it was working perfectly I was syncing with an exchange server and a desktop PC with Outlook that wasn't being served by an exchange server. The new desktop has Outlook as well and IS being served by an exchange server. This apparently is causing the problem. I went back to the old PC and it worked just fine as it did for over a year, but apparently it doesn't like with the Outlook on the new PC being served by exchange. I wish there was a way around this b/c it's causing major issues for me...Maybe I'm just stuck..
    Okay, now I'm confused.

If your new PC syncs with Exchange, and your Treo syncs with Exchange, then whats the issue? Any changes you make on the PC will propogate up to Exchange and back down to the Treo and vice versa. At that point, the only thing you need your sync cable for is installing software and copying files. Everything else stays synced automatically.

and by the way - Goodlink DOES create an entirely separate set of PIM databases - contacts, calendar, tasks, notes - all of it. That's why some folks end up getting confused by local PC syncing (native PIM stuff) and Good/Exchange over the air syncing (Good's PIM databases). The two can co-exist because they're syncing two different databases. But man does it tend to confuse peeps.
  10.    #10  
    Okay, now I'm confused.

If your new PC syncs with Exchange, and your Treo syncs with Exchange, then whats the issue? Any changes you make on the PC will propogate up to Exchange and back down to the Treo and vice versa. At that point, the only thing you need your sync cable for is installing software and copying files. Everything else stays synced automatically.

I have a home computer that syncs with an exchange server which I was syncing with my treo.

Then I have a work computer that used to just access a pop3 account and I synced via bluetooth with it to keep my contacts, calendar and tasks in sync with my home computer.

This all worked great until my work computer switched over to syncing with an exchange server. Now when I try to sync via bluetooth at work it won't allow me to do so. I went back and tested on my "old" work computer and it worked fine just like always...it just won't work on the "new" work computer since it syncs with an exchange server.

I guess that is probably by design, but I had things working "just right" and now it is frustrating me to death...

Thanks,
    Shannon
    Fastlearner is right, I have seen this on a few systems. It's not designed to do that but it is able to sync to a pc and EAS. Thing is if you change anything when that is setup you will loose the functionality that you love...

What you could try is deleting the exchange account on the device and reset it up. No guaranties that it will work though.
    Okay, so now your home PC and your work PC both sync with an Exchange server.

Is it the same server?

If so, then both PCs and the Treo should all be pointed to it and everything will stay synced without the need to connect the Treo to any PC at all (unless you want to copy files or install software.)

If you are syncing with 2 different exchange servers, then you're going to have issues. If you want to sync the treo over-the-air, then you'll have to pick one. The only way for the Treo to act as a middle man to synchronize the outlook items on both PCs is if it's not set to connect over the air at all. At this time it cannot (and probably never will) support multiple exchange servers.

Only other alternative I can think of would be to back up your outlook items to a PST on a jump drive and import the data to the other copy of Outlook periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    I have a home computer that syncs with an exchange server which I was syncing with my treo.

Then I have a work computer that used to just access a pop3 account and I synced via bluetooth with it to keep my contacts, calendar and tasks in sync with my home computer.

This all worked great until my work computer switched over to syncing with an exchange server. Now when I try to sync via bluetooth at work it won't allow me to do so. I went back and tested on my "old" work computer and it worked fine just like always...it just won't work on the "new" work computer since it syncs with an exchange server.

I guess that is probably by design, but I had things working "just right" and now it is frustrating me to death...

Thanks,
    Shannon

13.    #13  
    Okay, so now your home PC and your work PC both sync with an Exchange server.

Is it the same server?

If so, then both PCs and the Treo should all be pointed to it and everything will stay synced without the need to connect the Treo to any PC at all (unless you want to copy files or install software.)

If you are syncing with 2 different exchange servers, then you're going to have issues. If you want to sync the treo over-the-air, then you'll have to pick one. The only way for the Treo to act as a middle man to synchronize the outlook items on both PCs is if it's not set to connect over the air at all. At this time it cannot (and probably never will) support multiple exchange servers.

Only other alternative I can think of would be to back up your outlook items to a PST on a jump drive and import the data to the other copy of Outlook periodically.
    Unfortunately they are two different exchange servers.

Thanks again for your help. I agree - through much trial & error I've come to the same conclusion as what you already knew.

I'm considering abandoning my "personal" exchange server all together and just going with my work exchange server. I'll just have my personal mail forwarded to that account. It's not the best solution, but that's about all I can figure out now - other than the jump drive - and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,
    Shannon
    Ah. A personal exchange server.

Well, you could always set up a free Hotmail account and forward your personal stuff there. Since Hotmail is also Microsoft, it supports direct push and can be used in addition to the exchange push. At least that way you could keep them separate.

15.    #15  
    Yes - I should've been more clear from the start. Thanks for everyone's help. I think I will look into the hotmail forward idea. I'm not sure that's my solution, but...

Thanks,
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Check my posting today "Syncing Multiple Exchange Computers Solution" -- you can synch with two Exchange servers/computers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    Check my posting today "Syncing Multiple Exchange Computers Solution" -- you can synch with two Exchange servers/computers.
    Great solution!