1.    #1  
    Now that Ebag has figured out how to build custom ROMS for our 700wx phones I thought it might be a good idea for us to have another thread for those of us new to this idea so we can discuss what we are doing and how it works etc without flooding the custom ROM thread with unrelated topics...

MY intent is to understand how this works inside and out so I can develop a program that will do all of this easily so anyone can do it.. Because if anyone can do it we can have people create some amazing things and we cam all have our phones customized as much as we want.

Would like someone to go through the process and explain what they are doing and what the end result is.

With a custom WM5 ROM you can trim out the bloat, you can speed up the phone, and pre-install programs you would like to have installed on the phone thus saving your precious program storage for other programs you would like to add. You can also update the funtion of the phone with things like WM6, .net, flash etc....

We start out with a version of the rom that is an update, then we take out one of the files that contains the total ROM, you use ebags kitchen and strip out the files from the ROM, make your modifications, "recompile" the ROM and then burn it on your phone...
  2.    #2  
    After looking at the process it looks to me like some of the ROM editing tools are a little buggy and probably are what is causing the problems with some of the intended changes not working. When we dump a ROM are we just dumping the windows directory? There are other directories that we have on the phone as well so I wonder whats up with those.. And since when Sprint comes out with a new version of the ROM they have their own stuff done to the registry and such I have to assume there IS a way to edit the stuff just that no one has come up with the way to do it...

If someone knows the structure of the ROM file and can forward that to me I would appreciate it. It should be a relatively easy thing to strip out and compile and such...

I am building a new machine thats sole intension is to write software and stuff like that. I eventually want to follow up on my degree and get a computer forensic type degree and I am looking to learn everything I can about any variety of windows out there.. And this is a GREAT way for me to understand how WM is put together to write future software for it as well as PC software to help make things work a little better for the phones in the future.

Thanks ahead of time for anyone that can help me better understand this process. I realize xda-developers has alot of this information available but I am hoping we can kind of help direct people in the right direction here...

I work two jobs so I really can't spend hours researching stuff if I can help it.. I WILL but would rather not if I can help it.

Rodney
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    I work two jobs so I really can't spend hours researching stuff if I can help it.. I WILL but would rather not if I can help it.
    I'm a little confused here. So even though all the information is in the currently existing thread, you'd rather have it just handed to you?

All the answers you want are in the existing thread. This thread is rather pointless/redundant as the answers are right there. If you had a new/unasked question, I could kinda understand opening a new thread, but for a question that's already been answered? (Multiple times, none-the-less.)

Try searching for these terms:

PROVXML
    default.hv
    user.hv
    initflashfiles

Those will answer every question you've posted here.

(Oh, and I might only have 1 job but I usually only have 1 day off, which I usually spend working around the house or on my trucks. For example last week I worked 24.5 hours of overtime. I still manage to do my research, which is a heck of a lot more complex than what you'd need to do to cook a ROM. )

To anyone else with questions:

I recommend you read (or at least skim) through the thread. If you still don't understand (or can't find what you're looking for), feel free to post in the existing thread, and I (or someone else who knows what they're doing....hint hint Landon and Larry!) will do our best to assist you.

No need to clutter the forums up for something that's already there.
  4.    #4  
    I'm a little confused here. So even though all the information is in the currently existing thread, you'd rather have it just handed to you?
    Not really handed to me but atleast get pointed in the right direction...

For instance.. Cab files... I would like to see how to extract them, modify them and put them back together... However I have spent in excess of 4 hours looking and all I can do is find how to extract the files but not how to take the files and make the actual install... The intension here is that I should be able to add registration information and maybe some basic settings to the cab files... They also look simular in structure to the ROM dumps so maybe understanding their structure will make it easier to understand the dumps a little bit better...

All the answers you want are in the existing thread. This thread is rather pointless/redundant as the answers are right there. If you had a new/unasked question, I could kinda understand opening a new thread, but for a question that's already been answered? (Multiple times, none-the-less.)
    Actually no they are not.. For a newbie that doesn't have a clue whats going on they are not going to be able to pick up much from the thread we already got going.. As for being answered multiple times? Show me where you discuss what the structure of a dumped ROM is... Because I sure haven't found it yet...

Ok....

PROVXML
    Ok got 7 responses but none of them told you what the file was or where it was.. Or what to do with it... Just to modify it to add certification to the registry without editing the registry...

default.hv
    user.hv
    There was really just two messages that dealt anything with these.. One said how to edit them and one was that you had issues with it... Doesn't really tell us anything how to use them...

initflashfiles
    Well you actually need to search for initflashfiles.dat and you will come up with three posts... Of which they hint at it but don't tell you where it goes or explain how to use it.. Just "put this in the rom and it will take care of it for you"

I am not trying to bash you in ANY way...
    The intent for this Thread is for newbies who have not touched a rom before to be able to understand whats going on. It is easy to just copy your ROM and burn it to the phone.. But its quite another to understand what your doing and customize it ourselves....

Sounds from your response that you are offended that I am trying to learn how to do this and how it works. I am trying to learn how it works to help make it better, not steal your work and try to say its mine or something stupid like that.

Now that this thread has become somethign other then intended...
    So are you guys cooking a WM6 rom? If not, then not interested. 700Wx works rock solid now, better RAM than any other WinMobile device with 64mb RAM...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  6.    #6  
    please see the cooking roms thread for information but ebag has trimmed the rom and made it faster by removing a lot of bloat.
    The idea is to try and port portions of wm6.1 over to the treo to get its better features.
    Ebag HAS had wm6 working on the treo at the same aprox speed as stock wm5.
    but usability was not tested before he reverted back to wm5.
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    please see the cooking roms thread for information but ebag has trimmed the rom and made it faster by removing a lot of bloat.
    The idea is to try and port portions of wm6.1 over to the treo to get its better features.
    Ebag HAS had wm6 working on the treo at the same aprox speed as stock wm5.
    but usability was not tested before he reverted back to wm5.
    I am running WM6 on my device and it owns. I actually think it is faster than WM5 stock for stock. Some of my apps are slowing it down a bit and I need to play with that, but overall I am happy with the speed of the device. I also finally got the SDHC to work, so it is much easier to do hard resets now.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    I am running WM6 on my device and it owns. I actually think it is faster than WM5 stock for stock.
    That was my impression as well.

WM5 trimmed kicks WM6 in the nuts though, as far as speed goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

PROVXML
    default.hv
    user.hv
    initflashfiles

Those will answer every question you've posted here.

(Oh, and I might only have 1 job but I usually only have 1 day off, which I usually spend working around the house or on my trucks. For example last week I worked 24.5 hours of overtime. I still manage to do my research, which is a heck of a lot more complex than what you'd need to do to cook a ROM. )

To anyone else with questions:

I recommend you read (or at least skim) through the thread. If you still don't understand (or can't find what you're looking for), feel free to post in the existing thread, and I (or someone else who knows what they're doing....hint hint Landon and Larry!) will do our best to assist you.

No need to clutter the forums up for something that's already there.
    Not to jump in 2nd hand, but I've read through the stickied post, and it isn't very clear on what to do. And 14 pages is huge for any newbie. I'd be all for a stickied thread with just 1 or 2 current posts that list the facts and point people to the right answers. I would have never ever ever known to search for
    PROVXML
    default.hv
    user.hv
    initflashfiles
    I don't even know what those mean.

Maybe it is stupid to start a new thread, but I think the stickied thread needs to have the first few posts re-written with the most current info and with all brands of phones in mind, and for people who don't know what a kitchen is. Since I have no idea how to use the kitchen, I should probably not mess with it, but I can always follow clear written instructions.

That's just my 2 cents. Either update and re-work the sticky or don't worry that someone else wants to more clearly explain how to, or help.

I'm sorry. I'm not criticizing your work, Ebag333. I'm very impressed and I would whole-heartedly like to thank you for taking this on and risking your phone through trial and error. That's cool. I do want to tweak out my 700wx, but right now, the instructions aren't very clear, especially if your phone is not Sprint branded.

I would have posted in that thread, but skimming over 14 pages, I haven't found the right info about VZW and WM6 rom. So when people get that figured out, I'll read through the instructions for VZW phones and try it and ask questions.

Or another approach might be to have a thread or dedicated first 3-4 posts with the most current info for 1. backing up your phone, with details for each carrier, 2 how to make your own rom and 3. how to upgrade your phone to WM6, and 4. how to restore to WM5, and have links to all the files necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    I'm sorry. I'm not criticizing your work, Ebag333. I'm very impressed and I would whole-heartedly like to thank you for taking this on and risking your phone through trial and error. That's cool. I do want to tweak out my 700wx, but right now, the instructions aren't very clear, especially if your phone is not Sprint branded.
    The instructions aren't clear because it's something like, say, baking a cake. Where I don't know what type of cake you want to bake. Is it cherry? Apple? Strawberry Rhubarb??

It is my intention to go through and create a simple program which will essentially hold your hand for cooking your own ROM. But I have't done that yet as I'm lacking in time. Until that's done, the kitchen does work, and it's actually really simple to use. There are no step-by-step instructions--but again--that's because I don't know what you want to remove, and what you want to add.

For simply flashing one of my pre-done roms (which I have reports of working on Verizon) the instructions are crystal clear and outlined in 19 step format. Would it reach "newbie level clear" if it had 21 steps? Perhaps.

The problem I see here is that people are trying to fly before they can even walk. They are ignoring run entirely.

If you want to learn how to cook a ROM, I sugest these three macro steps.

1. Flash one of the pre-done ROM's. Flash the stock ROM. Become comfortable with the flashing procedure. (At least as comfortable as one can be when doing one's best to turn a $500 phone into a paperweight.)
    2. Take the full ROM and strip out useless files. Only remove files you know you don't want and are safe to remove. Rebuild the ROM and flash it. Do this several times until you are familiar with the basics of tearing down and rebuilding a ROM.
    3. Take your stripped ROM and start adding files to it.

How many people here are attempting step three without ever trying step one? Without understanding the absolute basics of how it works, one will never understand the intricacies of cooking a ROM. While I have created a path and the tools to enable you to be able to do step three, this does not allow you to skip steps one and two.

I would have posted in that thread, but skimming over 14 pages, I haven't found the right info about VZW and WM6 rom. So when people get that figured out, I'll read through the instructions for VZW phones and try it and ask questions.

Or another approach might be to have a thread or dedicated first 3-4 posts with the most current info for 1. backing up your phone, with details for each carrier, 2 how to make your own rom and 3. how to upgrade your phone to WM6, and 4. how to restore to WM5, and have links to all the files necessary.
    One again, you're attempting to fly before you can even crawl. WM6 is a far cry from WM5, as our phones have never supported WM6. While WM6 is in the works (hopefully), my stance is (and will probably always be) that people stay with WM5 as it's simpler and easier.

There may come the point where WM6 will be as easy to cook as WM5. That point is probably months down the road, we are no where near that.

To adress some of your other points...

1) If you don't know how to back up your phone you have no business trying to flash it. That's like suggesting you hand someone a nuclear warhead when they are afraid of firecrackers.

2) Again, I can't tell you how to make your own ROM, I can only give you the tools to do it and try my best to assist you if you have problems. Your own ROM, by nature of cooking, will be very different than mine.

3) As there is no upgrade to WM6 how do you suggest I do this? Let me repeat this once more in the (probably vain) hope that it will get through (not just to you but to everyone): THERE IS CURRENTLY NO WM6 ROM FOR THE 700WX. Period. At some point there may be, but we are quite a ways off from that.

4) The very first post does exactly this. As I've said multiple times, I don't have a Verizon phone, I won't get a Verizon phone, and I can't support a Verizon phone. If you have a non-Sprint phone, you're completely on your own. That being said, the stock Sprint ROM should work just fine on Verizon, although it'd be slightly different (and with Sprint branding). So if all else fails even Verizon users could follow the first post and get back to (mostly) stock.
    Thanks for your reply. I don't really want to cook my own rom. I just want to use either someone-else's cool wm5 rom or preferably when someone figures it out, a wm6 rom.

But you said it, if I don't know how to back up my phone then I should not do it. And you also said it is all in the first post. But I'm simply saying that the first post is a little too quick and too down and dirty.

For example, does How to flash your phone back to standard settings mean how to backup your phone? And the procedure refers to a Sprint phone and download. Have others used this same procedure with success on different carriers?

Also, what are the benefits and differences between Ebag's Trimmed Rom 1, Full Rom Take 1, Trimmed Rom Take 2. I see the file list, but that's just a list of files. If Take 2 is better than Take 1, why even refer to it at all? And if someone chooses Trimmed over Full then what are they going to gain or loose. Also what are people's success rates with either version and any possible other versions.

Your first post is contains alot of info, but I guess those are my questions to help make the first posts better for me and for other TC members.
    Thanks for your reply. I don't really want to cook my own rom. I just want to use either someone-else's cool wm5 rom or preferably when someone figures it out, a wm6 rom.
    I think my ROM is pretty cool.

For example, does How to flash your phone back to standard settings mean how to backup your phone?
    No. If I'd meant how to backup your phone, I would have said "how to backup your phone."

It's how to flash back to a stock ROM.

And the procedure refers to a Sprint phone and download. Have others used this same procedure with success on different carriers?
    Read the 3rd post.

Also, what are the benefits and differences between Ebag's Trimmed Rom 1, Full Rom Take 1, Trimmed Rom Take 2. I see the file list, but that's just a list of files. If Take 2 is better than Take 1, why even refer to it at all? And if someone chooses Trimmed over Full then what are they going to gain or loose. Also what are people's success rates with either version and any possible other versions.
    I've kept the old ROM's for historical/tracking purposes. Plus some, like my first trimmed ROM, are quite useful for building on yourself.

Personally I think my Final ROM is the "best".

A very very brief rundown of the differences.

Ebag's Trimmed - Take 1:
    Stripped ROM, NOTHING added. Quite a bit more could be removed, though.

Ebag's Full ROM - Take 1:
    Some basic stuff added such as the custom wait cursor, a few programs. Not a lot of changes though.

Landon.Epps Full Rom - Ebag's Take 1, Verizonized:
    Same as my Full ROM - Take 1, just with the Verizon branding.

Ebag's Trimmed Rom - Take 2:
    Good for cooking. Be aware it has a bug in it though.

Ebag's Full Rom - Final
    The ROM that I use. An excellent ROM to use "out of the box". Has a bit of room left over if you wanted to add a few files/programs.

Also on my Full ROM - Final I have a more detailed list. You can read what I already posted at:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=165

As for success rates, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. That they flash successfully? Unless there's user error they'll all flash.