Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well, now at least your wife can get an unlocked Centro...

Honestly, with the obvious gap of Palm products on T-Mobile, my assumption is that someone at T-Mobile doesn't like Palm or that T-Mo is heavily influenced by their German overlords, and that's why they carry so much HTC and Nokia and no Palm.
    Something is effecting T-Mobile's decision process, and it ain't good! It looks like apathy to me. I wish something else fit the data, but even a bunch of 12-year olds would figure out that having the cool phones is better than not having them.

The Centro is one of the hottest selling smart phones out there. The GSM version has no 3G, and really neither does T-Mobile. How do you pass on this phone? And what exactly made them decide the Samsung t229 was worth having? Are they mad?! Stupid??! Or is it that they simply don't care?
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Something is effecting T-Mobile's decision process, and it ain't good! It looks like apathy to me. I wish something else fit the data, but even a bunch of 12-year olds would figure out that having the cool phones is better than not having them.

The Centro is one of the hottest selling smart phones out there. The GSM version has no 3G, and really neither does T-Mobile. How do you pass on this phone? And what exactly made them decide the Samsung t229 was worth having? Are they mad?! Stupid??! Or is it that they simply don't care?
    Hey Rambo, I pass denville every day on rt 80 on my way to work.

But I totally agree.... the centro and Tmobile is a match made in heaven, for the points in made on the past page's post.

But alas, its a no-go for them so far.

Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
    Hey Rambo, I pass denville every day on rt 80 on my way to work.

But I totally agree.... the centro and Tmobile is a match made in heaven, for the points in made on the past page's post.

But alas, its a no-go for them so far.

Oh well.
    I play rugby in Denville sometimes, we use the fields over by the hospital.

Would love to be a fly on the wall in the t-mobile discussions of what phones to carry. (Actually, that goes for any carrier. But especially T-Mobile since they seem to carry either really cool phones or never get the obvious choices. No in betweens for them!)
    Did you see this? Pathetic!!

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...-gets-handled/

I don't think T-Mobile will ask Palm to include AWS at this point. Their 3G line-up is all crappy non-smartphones and until they show some indication of getting better phones, it probably won't happen.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Did you see this? Pathetic!!

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...-gets-handled/

I don't think T-Mobile will ask Palm to include AWS at this point. Their 3G line-up is all crappy non-smartphones and until they show some indication of getting better phones, it probably won't happen.

Ugh, Tmobile should be ashamed.
    Let me get this straight, the Treo 850 won't work with the T-mobile version of 3G?
    Yes, it is not compatible.
  9.    #49  
    Well at least this thread exists to answer others questions on the subject.

I will be waiting for Tmobile's WM6.1 offering to see what I HAVE to buy (if I want to stay with Windows Mobile + Tmobile3g).

It'll be sad to leave the Treo family for a while (been using a Treo since the 270).
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Yes, it is not compatible.
    What this means is that Treo 850 users will essentially be limited to AT&T service. Hardly worth making an unlocked version.
    If you travel to Europe or parts of Asia, then an unlocked model can be made.

Otherwise, unless you can stand EDGE, T-Mobile USA is pretty much out at this time. Unless T-Mobile gets it act together to actively get better phones for it's 3G line. but they don't seem to like Treos, even if they did do this.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I look at this from the opposite perspective. Verizon, AT&T, and even Sprint have had solid SmartPhone offerings for quite some time. Palm has basically said "I want to play there too". From my perspective, T-Mobile's lack of good SmartPhone offerings is the best reason Palm should have targetted AWS - indeed first. Less competition, T-Mobile hold outs just iching to have a 3G SmartPhone means higher sales to me.

Given T-Mobile's balking at such expensive SmartPhones, though, and the impending HTC Dream/G1, it sounds to me like Palm has simply conceded T-Mobile's 3G SmartPhone market from the get go
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    curious about this aws band-

besides t-mobile (distant fourth place us carrier- right?) and canada (with population equal to what- california?) where else will that be used?

if its just the above then seems to me ANY hardware company would have a tough time making products for that standard.

is the rest of everyone with gsm using 2100?

for the us- you build for evdo and get verizon (soon to be the largest) and sprint covered- I would *guess* that's like half the us market? and both have like national coverage of their SECOND generation 3G with REV A- no?
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    curious about this aws band-

besides t-mobile (distant fourth place us carrier- right?) and canada (with population equal to what- california?) where else will that be used?
    Thats the problem.

Its Tmobile USA and ONLY Tmobile using the AWS band right now.

I believe there will be some Canadian provider(s) using it eventually (not sure about Mexico) but the band is in its infancy of usage.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    If t-mobile is the only user of that spectrum, then i really wonder if it wont just up and die then long term. Or at least be a red headed step child like nextels iden network was/is...

In a few years verizon and att will have their 700mhz assets (from the old tv uhf being abandoned) going on line. VZ is supposedly in trials this year for their LTE and the spectrum gets generally vacated after the superbowl in 2009 (not sure when vz gets control- but they say they plan to have LTE 700 up in 2010)

If I'm a chip maker or phone manufacturer do i worry about cramming in tmobile's aws band for 3g onto my quad band chips MAYBE getting deployed fully in 2009 or do I work on making the big guns att and verizon happy by figuring out how to wedge 700mhz in? Verizon will be LTE 700mhz in 2010- just a year after. With ATT aiming for 4g LTE on 700 in 2012.

ATT and Verizon each look to have 30% of the market with t-mobile having just 12%. Sprint has ~20%

Seems today a chip maker would have ~7 times the volume if it aims it's efforts at the "normal" cellular and PCS bands now (bands that the top 3 are using covering 80% compared to band that that tmobile with it's 15% share is going to use .)

Long term (2012) if they want to add a new band to their radio chips they have 5 times the volume by aiming at 700mhz compared to this aws (60% share of verizon and att compared to 12% for t-mobile.)

even short medium term- 2009/2010 it might be best to use resources towards vz's 700mhz 4G LTE in 2010 compared to t-mobiles 3G AWS in 2008, 2009. 30% market to 12% market.

Big picture - AWS doesn't look like a great market to me. Obviously t-mobile will get some phones made but i dont think there are going to be piles and piles of unlocked phones stuffing that in. (unless some other part of the world starts using it big time)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123