Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
    I agree with most of what you said, but WHERES the gamble?

Tmobile is committed to the AWS band (they spent enough money for it). It will be rolled out. It is in process!! I just don't understand how its a gamble. Its not like AWS will go away. Its just the "fledgling" band right now.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the US Government's fault that the deadlines were missed? They didn't vacate the spectrum ontime? I didn't think it was T-Mobile's fault.
    Regardless of shifting the blame around, T-Mobile doesn't have anything resembling a nationwide 3G network. The gamble is palm creating an AWS treo that likely won't attain lucrative sales. The concepts of contribution margin and incremental analysis come into play here, and from what we all know, it ain't lookin' pretty. BTW, look at the other big players out there in the PPC market. Why hasn't HTC bothered with an AWS model? Manufacturing capacity certainly isn't a problem, and given HTC's giant portfolio of devices and propensity to sell unlocked devices, you would think it would have offered something compatible with T-Mobile's 3G if it was worth it. Apparently, so far its not given the lack of T-Mobile 3G compatible devices on the market, PPC or not...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

The gamble is: how long before T-Mobile 3G is at least partially nationwide? They have been very slow. It is also a gamble as to whether or not you can sell enough phones for a network not truly ready. Of course that's true for any new phone. But due to this one feature unique to T-Mobile that's not even truly ready for primetime, I don't know if it's a good idea to release a lot of phones that only a handful of people can use, YET. Maybe by the time 2009 CES rolls around.
    Exactly. Think of how many complaints Palm would get about dropped calls, lack of 3G availability for a 3G device, etc. etc. It hardly seems worth it.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Look, I'm not here to argue with you or pick fights.
    Neither am I, I was just looking for you to backup statements you said.

But its obvious that I'm an army of one on this board anyway, in my thought process regarding why I think Palm should add the AWS band.

Thats ok. I appreciate all the feedback regardless.

I hope we can all revisit this thread in 18 months and see how T-Mobile's deployment of 3G really went.
    I agree with you that they should add it, but if I was Colligan, I'd be hesitant too. Although I wish I could say that T-Mobile would be an option with 3G, I really can't as it doesn't really give me the coverage I need - traveling for business and t-mobile = no go unfortunately.
    Palm is the wrong company to add AWS at this time.

HTC could actually do it, because T-Mobile USA seems to love them. The upcoming Shadow II had a rumor of AWS included, though I'm not sure it's true. RIM can for the same reasons. An AWS version of the Bold could work for the MANY T-Mobile BB users. At least those two companies have customers who may wait for AWS to develop enough.

Palm, who's Treo 600 was the last model carried by T-Mobile USA(and also didn't T-Mobile once say "we won't carry anymore Treos"?), NO. Now one way this COULD happen successfully is if T-Mobile truly agrees to push this to their customers again, along with RIM and HTC. But would they do it?

Otherwise Palm has to stick with the 850/1900/2100 for guaranteed sales. FOR NOW They just don't have the freedom to risk losing sales. Even with the success of the Centro, they still should be careful IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #26  
    They just don't have the freedom to risk losing sales.
    I just have to ask about the above statement: How would adding a radio band, make them LOSE sales?

If you said they couldn't risk the extra capital it would take to add in the AWS band (as you said, AT THIS TIME), I could agree, but honestly, how could including more frequencies make them lose sales?
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
    I just have to ask about the above statement: How would adding a radio band, make them LOSE sales?

If you said they couldn't risk the extra capital it would take to add in the AWS band (as you said, AT THIS TIME), I could agree, but honestly, how could including more frequencies make them lose sales?
    Production capacity. I read somewhere on Google Reader (so engadget or giz or some other tech site) that quadband HSDPA chips weren't very feasible due to price and size constraints. This means that there would have to be separate models. Which means that production capacity would have to be allocated accordingly. Allocate too much to the T-Mobile version and you run the risk of supply shortages. Given that HTC is likely the actual manufacturer of these Treos, you also have to consider that they probably promise Palm a specific amount of units. Given that HTC has been ramping up production of its own devices, well you get the idea. Its all basic management accounting.
    No love for Treo over at T-Mobile makes putting out an AWS Treo a possible failure in sales concerning T-Mobile customers, which is the only real reason to even add AWS. Sorry for repeating myself but once again, did T-Mobile say they were going to carry and/or support Treos again? If not, right there they have lost a main avenue for AWS sales. They can make an unlocked model but they are not that good at marketing unlocked Treos to the general public. How are most people in the general public even going to know there's an unlocked AWS capable Treo out?

What an unlocked model could be good for NOW is AT&T and Roger's customers who roam on T-Mobile, but is the T-Mobile 3G network really enough of a market NOW to get that many people to buy another expensive unlocked phone? I don't think so, at least not for the Treo. Treos just aren't the "it" phone to get many people jumping to buy. The 850 got bashed by the general public who saw the test model online, as old and tired already. It really should have been released either last year or early this year, IMO. Palm is actually late to the table again IMO. Great specs, but covered by so many others already(except for the screen resolution).

I think they risk losing sales because there really isn't too much incentive to buy an AWS capable 850, for the general public that is. Lack of official T-Mobile support could hurt. Lack of a decent T-Mobile 3G network might make people think buying it is a waste of money now. Plus everyone's drooling over the Xperia which is viewed as hot and innovative, and the new BB Bold which will have an AWS model that T-Mobile WILL support. And the only reason people will spend money on those phones even though the network's not up yet, is carrier support and perceived hotness. It's certainly a bit inconsistent on the consumer's part, but Treo doesn't seem to have enough popularity to get people to spring for a fully decked out AWS capable model now.

P.S. Sorry for the long post.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Production capacity. I read somewhere on Google Reader (so engadget or giz or some other tech site) that quadband HSDPA chips weren't very feasible due to price and size constraints. This means that there would have to be separate models. Which means that production capacity would have to be allocated accordingly. Allocate too much to the T-Mobile version and you run the risk of supply shortages. Given that HTC is likely the actual manufacturer of these Treos, you also have to consider that they probably promise Palm a specific amount of units. Given that HTC has been ramping up production of its own devices, well you get the idea. Its all basic management accounting.
    When you explain it this way, it makes perfect sense to me.
    Don't know if it's true, but I have heard that T-Mo will be rolling out nationwide AWS in late June. Take it for what it's worth. That would be very good news.
    That would be good news!!`Now tell us that they will support Treos again and we may be all set for an AWS 850.

12.    #32  
    That would be good news!!`Now tell us that they will support Treos again and we may be all set for an AWS 850.
    Whats cool is, Tmobile Customer Care always make a best effort for unsupported phones, they helped me with my Treo 750, 650, and the wife's 680.

I will cross my fingers for a Tmobile subsidized Treo in the future!!!!
    Phone Diva - I wish I could tell you that they'd be supporting Treos again! As the only major carrier without them, it certainly makes them somewhat behind the ball. I had heard they were going to get Centros, but obviously, that hasn't happened.
    That would be good too! Everyone will be having the Centro but them, if the Verizon version seen was true.

Yes T-Mobile does help with unsupported phones but this Treo's specs look expensive(and you know their usual price for Treos) and many customers probably would want something off like T-Mobile does for other WM smartphones; or else they'll stay with their Wing, Dash and Shadows. Also Blackberry fans may not ditch if they can't get a price break. There are indeed those willing to buy unlocked, but then there are also those many customers I mentioned before whom Palm could snag if they can get a subsidized version out of T-Mobile.

But Palm also just doesn't always have the bang to get people to spring for unlocked. People are now waiting for the US version of the Diamond(there's a rumor that T-Mobile MAY carry this) and the AWS Xperia 1(Xperia 1 period for that matter). Do you think people would forgo those for an unlocked AWS Treo? I'm not too sure, due the the 850's reception. And how come this sub-forum has such a low amount of threads? Not even much excitement from here. And this is a Treo that finally has up-to-date specs!

I think the best chance for an AWS Treo is a good push from T-Mobile itself. One main reason is because Palm itself is often bad at tooting it's own horn, concerning unlocked Treos. I don't remember seeing one good unlocked Treo ad, at least not in the US. Although maybe they learned from the Centro that if they ADVERTISE, many people will then know what's available. But it's best chance is to just let T-Mobile push a subsidized one. But then the ball will fall in T-Mobile's court. Will they do it? They seem to be tied to RIM and HTC for smartphones.

Sorry for the long posts again. I guess looking at the specs of this new Treo got me too excited. They're enough to make me switch back IF they stay around $600 for unlocked and/or offer a decent AT&T model.

15.    #35  
    Well add Canada to the AWS mix of potential customers for 1700/2100 !!

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...tion-underway/

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...an-the-us-was/

Of course it remains to be seen as to when a carrier (Rogers / Telus) will implement.

But it does show that AWS will not just be little old T-Mobile USA.
    Since T-mobile USA doesn't choose the best phones, Rogers would be great for AWS! They are more advanced in phone choice than either AT&T or T-Mobile USA. Look at the phones they agree to carry. Despite their horrible contracts, people snap them up because they are actually almost up-to-date like Europe. Manufacturers may jump faster if Rogers agreed to use AWS because they'd have a better chance of getting sales with Rogers IMO.

I still can't explain T-Mobile USA's HORRIBLE choice of phone line-up. There were even EDGE phones they never utilized that would have been perfect while waiting for AWS. The only phones that are any good are their smartphones, but that's not the whole market.

17.    #37  
    Well as a T-Mobile customer, I guess I will benefit from a "big brother" type huge wireless carrier from Canada using the same AWS spectrum.

Thanks Canada!

Hopefully that muscle will bring more and better AWS enabled handsets to market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    Phone Diva - I wish I could tell you that they'd be supporting Treos again! As the only major carrier without them, it certainly makes them somewhat behind the ball. I had heard they were going to get Centros, but obviously, that hasn't happened.
    Well it's official! T-Mobile is the ONLY major US carrier with no Centro!

And most of the line-up is still very mediocre. Yep Blacknoi, looks like we may have to wait for Canada to get the ball rolling for some excellent T-Mobile compatible AWS phones.

Unbelievable! You'd think they'd want such a hot phone as the Centro. I don't know who's making the buying decisions at T-Mo, but they're clearly behind the 8-ball when it comes to phone selection.
  20.    #40  
    Well it's official! T-Mobile is the ONLY major US carrier with no Centro!

And most of the line-up is still very mediocre. Yep Blacknoi, looks like we may have to wait for Canada to get the ball rolling for some excellent T-Mobile compatible AWS phones.
    Totally agreed.

I can't understand why Tmo doesnt have the centro at this point.

It would mesh PERFECTLY with their present strategy.

1) lowcost for on average, a low cost customer.
    2) doesn't have 3g on GSM, so it'd work great on their built out EDGE network.

Both 1 and 2 point to a no-brainer to carry the centro (to which my wife would IMMEDIATELY sign a 2 year contract to get at the 99 dollar pricepoint ...and retire her Treo 680).

Oh well.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast