Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...and its called a Samsung i780!

The specs are basically identical (except that the i780 is much thinner), and you can go out and buy one unlocked right now.

I've been a Palm fan for years, so I wish them luck with this device, but its still 9 months to a year behind competitors. I mean, look at the innovation coming out of HTC. This is a generation behind the Diamond. I hope that when this comes out it will have some amazing GUI becuase that will be the only way to differentiate.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    ...except that the i780 is much thinner
    I wouldn't call 1.1mm less much thinner

The 850w should ship with WM 6.1 Pro which puts it slighlty ahead
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The 850w should ship with WM 6.1 Pro which puts it slighlty ahead
    The windows 6.1 update for the i780 is already written (I've seen it) and we should expect to see it in about six weeks or so (if what I'm told is right).
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The quad-band, USA-friendly GSM radio AND WM6.1 in the Treo 850 puts its two notches ahead by my count.

And of course, there remains to be seen if there's any of Palm's fabled "special sauce" in the 800w/850 that might help separate them from the competition.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Ok, so you know how to get people's attention. That was a waste of time.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The windows 6.1 update for the i780 is already written (I've seen it) and we should expect to see it in about six weeks or so (if what I'm told is right).
    where did you see it? XDA-DEVELOPERS is going to want to see that...!
    Palm also gets lots of support from 3rd party manufacturers of cases and other accessories. In addition, I have a gut-feeling that the 850/800w will be less expensive than the i780.

The 780 is indeed a fantastic device.

The specs are basically identical (except that the i780 is much thinner), and you can go out and buy one unlocked right now.

I've been a Palm fan for years, so I wish them luck with this device, but its still 9 months to a year behind competitors. I mean, look at the innovation coming out of HTC. This is a generation behind the Diamond. I hope that when this comes out it will have some amazing GUI becuase that will be the only way to differentiate.
    does the i780 have a touch screen? Did I read that the 850 would have touchscreen?
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    does the i780 have a touch screen? Did I read that the 850 would have touchscreen?
    They both have touch screens.

Surur
    How about a picture?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    How about a picture?

Here they are resized to similar size (but note than the 850 still looks smaller due to the source picture)

The Samsung i780 is 115.9 x 61.3 x 12.9 mm. Weight, 120 g.
    The Treo 850 is (supposed to be) 113 x 60 x 14 mm.

So the Treo is slightly shorter and narrower, and slightly thicker.

I personally feel the i780 looks more modern and professional, but the Treo 850 has a number of very real advantages - No optical mouse pad, extra calender keys and mail keys (which really speeds multi-tasking), a better dialing pad, and a more standard charge cable (microUSB is still better than the proprietary Samsung solution).

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 05/28/2008 at 06:02 AM.
    I agree with Surur - besides what he said, you have Palm's stability and "special sauce" that goes beyond the visible today screen enhancements. Pressing the end key to turn the screen off and auto-keyguard, optimizing the WM6.1 OS so its faster and more stable, better keyboard most likely, etc.
    Pressing the end key to turn the screen off
    With my Sprint 700wx, I could do this with all screens.

With my new AT&T 750, this only works on the Today screen (end brings you back to Today in applications), which I HATE.

I hope they go back to the 700wx way with both new Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisholland View Post
    With my Sprint 700wx, I could do this with all screens.

With my new AT&T 750, this only works on the Today screen (end brings you back to Today in applications), which I HATE.

I hope they go back to the 700wx way with both new Treos.
    The HTC convention is for the end key to bring you back to the today screen when you are not on a call. To me that seems very useful, else you would have to press 3 buttons to do the same job.

Surur
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The HTC convention is for the end key to bring you back to the today screen when you are not on a call. To me that seems very useful, else you would have to press 3 buttons to do the same job.

Surur
    Also you just hit the end key again and it powers it off, so maybe a couple of extra pushes but like Surur said it is pretty useful. Just took me a couple of days to get used to it.
    I think its nice to be able to press the end key to go to the today screen, but its a bit duplicative - you can press the Send key to go to the Today screen on the 750 now. Either way, I'm ok with it. I see benefits to both.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I think its nice to be able to press the end key to go to the today screen, but its a bit duplicative - you can press the Send key to go to the Today screen on the 750 now. Either way, I'm ok with it. I see benefits to both.
    Its not duplicative on HTC devices - the send key takes you to the dialler there.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Its not duplicative on HTC devices - the send key takes you to the dialler there.

Surur
    I meant on the Treo 750.

Surur
    As others have said, the send key on both the 700wx and the 750 sends you to the Today screen. Why both send and end?

I must be missing something, because it drives me nuts. I LOVED that end simply turned of the screen on the 700wx. PLEASE help if there is a workaround.

Thanks!
    I thought Dieter once mentioned how Palm had to do the "HTC way" or whatever for the 750 because this was how the Euro phones typically handled these operations? Not sure if that is true or I remembered correctly, but I believe that was why the difference between the 700w/750.

Personally, I like the 700w way:

Green:
    • Go to Today Screen (always)
    • On Today Screen --> menu (Dial pad, Call Log, Recent Call list)

Red:
    • Device on/off
    • Hold = turn on/off radio
    • End call

I guess I just like the idea that the Red key is the terminate button for power issues (radio, call, device) and the Green key for other stuff. Plus the power on/off button is more convenient to reach.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast