Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Say I am using an app., and someone walks up to me. With the 700wx, I hit end, and holstered the device. When i was finished talking, I hit end, d-pad center, and I was right back where I left off.

Now with the 750, I hit end, then have to hit end again. When I am finished, I have to hit end, d-pad center, and in my case, side button for Wisbar, toggle down to the app, d-pad, and I am back.

They really improved WM even more with the 750, but the above steps are two steps back as far as one handed ease of use.

Again, what do you fellas (and gals) do?
    Work around is:

01. Reg edit to open up the side button for use.
    02. Suspend application tied to the side push

= 1 touch off

Search treocentral.com

Works great.

Regards
    graylion
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Option + End will lock the 750. Still requires 2 key presses, but it is faster than pressing end twice.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    But the Samsung i780 does not support the 850 band. (Not a US/Canada phone).

Lets hope Palm speeds up the release of the Treo 850 or they might see there share of the market drop drastically.
    I think Samsung gonna release it as i788 that supports the US bands. Anyway, this model has been released for months for rest of the world and it is a fine piece. Professional and sleek looking, comes with all connectivity including GPS, 2 batteries etc. Guessed Palm only wants to do their business in the US, cause I think they are pretty SLOW in releasing their new products.
  6. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I personally feel the i780 looks more modern and professional, but the Treo 850 has a number of very real advantages - No optical mouse pad, extra calender keys and mail keys (which really speeds multi-tasking
    Surur
    i780 all the way for me. I don't see the advantages you quote for the Treo.

Now I've got used to it, I love the silent one-handed operation point-and-click operation of optical mouse pad over the up,up,up, right,right,right,clickety-click operation of a D-Pad (especially when that can annoy the hell out other people if in a quiet room). Sometimes I don't even bother with the hard Start and OK buttons, because it's just as easy to flick up the mouse pointer and click the right place in the screen without my thumb ever leaving the optical pad.

Your "extra keys" point too is debatable - the i780 has dedicated mail and GPS keys (which are configurable) at the bottom of the keyboard.
    The i780 = ugly...Palm Treo 850 = gorgeous!
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

8. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    The i780 = ugly...Palm Treo 850 = gorgeous!
    Well that's entirely a matter of personal opinion, and it's a bit premature to come to such a conclusion when all you have to go on is a blurry photo.

To me, the first impression Palm's recent products give is one of cheap plastic. If the Centro and 500 are anything to go by, the feeling in the hand reinforces that. They're OK, but they don't feel expensive, especially when the case starts to creak, and application 'keys' consist of squeezing the flimsy plastic front panel with hardly any tactical feedback (which just smacks of cost-cutting), rather than pressing real, discrete, buttons. The Samsung, with it's solid build, sleek lines, reflective buttons (with positive actions) and slightly mirrored screen, gives it a much more polished and professional air.

Of course the 850 might be different, but the photos suggest not, with it effectively being a bigger Centro with a flush screen. But I'll reserve judgment until I've seen one in the flesh.
    The 800w in no way feels cheap. Since the 850 is supposed to be the flagship GSM device, I'd be shocked if build quality were to be an issue.
  10. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    The 800w in no way feels cheap. Since the 850 is supposed to be the flagship GSM device, I'd be shocked if build quality were to be an issue.
    I hope you're right. I just wish Vodafone (or whoever) would get their finger out and let us see it for real!
    From the looks of the 850, it has literally everything I want in a PDA, and it even looks hot. But the i780 is at least OUT. What does Palm expect us to do? We've already waited, and waited, and waited some more for this elusive 850.

I'm going to get an 800w tomorrow just as a holdover device.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    ...clip...the i780 is at least OUT. What does Palm expect us to do?
    They expect us to go buy something other than their product-there is no other reasonable explanation.
    Let's not get ourselves debating which is better. The best phone is the one that fits your needs, be it functionality, looks, performances, etc.

Personally, I like the built of i780, but the Palm 850 is curvy and from the photos seems to be a good build as well.

Let's enjoy our phones shall we?
    Samsung looks like a brick with no brain! Besides it's made by Korean!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treopq View Post
    Samsung looks like a brick with no brain! Besides it's made by Korean!
    treopq,
    geez, don't drink and type.
    I had one of those too..called a centro and it's still simpler to use, did what i needed it to do, and gave you just about the same features.

Words to the wise:

1. Wifi doesn't mean much..if anything really on a rev a phone.
    2. GPS on a phone is fine for apps and geotagging, but for driving, get a real gps unit.
    3. Multitasking means little to 95% of the population who'd rather see an app close when switching than remain open.

Bottom line is this. The palm OS (yep the old as dinosaurs one) and Centro is still superior to anything WM or BB has out. Yep, that includes even the palm versions of WM.

Other than the iphone, there's not really been a device out yet that has been worth considering if you already have a Centro. BB and WM have never even caught up with the old palm OS. It's not like Palm hasn't given them time.
    I know a few people with Centro's upgrading to the 800w (myself included).

GPS is not just for driving. It's especially useful for the city or urban environements when you just want to find a Radio Shack, the lowest gas prices, movies or a Taco Bell (I'm talking about the free Live Search with voice command here).

Also, the rise of "friend finder" apps makes it very useful and fun--that's the future of GPS on phones, imo.

Wifi and RevA are comparable, but this is a GSM device--GSM 3g is not as widespread as CDMA 3g, so the need for Wifi is greater.

Multi-tasking is very useful when you switch between apps. I have seen no evidence about this "95%" number which seems to be arbitrary on your part.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Centro and still dig Garnet, but WM6.1 is pretty powerful.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/18/2008 at 01:10 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I stand corrected, but the gap really isn't that wide IMO between palm os and wm. But it is increasing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12