1.    #1  
    I have Palm OS apps that I use and depend on every day. This new HW looks very nice, but I really don't want to switch from Palm OS to WM 6.1.

Is there any chance that we could see this HW running PalmOS or some new Linux OS that is compatible with legacy PalmOS apps?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Palm did well at selling the Centro, but I believe we will have to wait and see how successful they are at selling the 800/850 before we can bet if they will make Palm OS versions. As slow as Palm is at getting new devices out, though, it will likely be a long wait regardless.

You should check and see if versions of your software are available in WM form. Even if you can't find the exact program, there is likely an alternative that functions just as well (I keep jumping between the two OS's).
    The closest you'll get to running Palm apps on this is Styletap. I love Palm OS myself, but it would be stupid of them to introduce a new POS device before Nova is ready. The Centro is pretty much the best they can do with it. Palm OS can't use multiple radios without a ton of work so GPS and Wifi are pretty impossible. If Palm is dumb enough to waste their time on getting support for those in POS at this point, then the company deserves to go under.
    Given that Garnet can't support more than 2 radios at once (that's why you see treos/centros with just Cellular + Bluetooth), it won't support GPS and WiFi. That's also why it can't support GSM 3G (HSPA) - HSPA requires simultaneous voice and data, and Garnet just can't do this.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    The centro will be the only device release by palm using POS and I wouldn't think palm put their new os on this device as the design would be old by then
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    The centro will be the only device release by palm using POS and I wouldn't think palm put their new os on this device as the design would be old by then
    But there will be more Centros as indicated by Ed Colligan in his recent interview.

"And for at least the short term, that OS will continue to be offered in low-end devices typified by the Centro. Centro is our consumer line of products, the start of a product line to hit that demographic and price point” Colligan says. “Centro will be strictly Palm OS”.
    Read Colligan Interview
    Last edited by johncc; 05/29/2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: expand Ed's quote
    My speculation is :

Consumer - Centro - Palm OS (Palm paid $44m for the right to use it.)
    Prosumer - New Palm OS (backward compatiable)
    Enterprise - Treo - WM.

Please read: http://blog.treonauts.com/2008/05/palm-nova-os-de.html

(move to center to see the picture)
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    But there will be more Centros as indicated by Ed Colligan in his recent interview.

Read Colligan Interview
    OK sooo the Centro will be the only device released by Palm with POS like I said.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer