Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I need to sync a WM5 750 with Gmail and Outlook. (Myself, I have a 755p, so if I say something stupid in reference to WM5, thats why.) Im guessing here. So, when Gmail mail and calendar syncs with Outlook mail and calendar by whatever method, then the next step is to get the 755 to sync with one of them using its native email client? Does it have to be a hotsync between 755 and Outook? What is the best way to do the Gmail<--->Outlook sync? Thank you. Thank you very much.
    Pushing the Boundaries of Disorganization
    Uh, okay. That's about as clear as mud.

First off, upgrade to WM6. Nothing to do with the issue at hand, but you'll be happier in the end.

So, it sounds like you are using Outlook to connect to your google mail and calendar, correct?

Windows Mobile will not "sync" with anything except Outlook or Exchange. However, you can set it up to check your gmail via POP, but it won't be real-time. You'll set a schedule or have it check manually.

Anything else (calendar, tasks, contacts, notes) will come from syncing with Outlook. And of course, Outlook should stay synced with gmail.

Hope that clears things up.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Kind of. A little, maybe.
    First off, upgrade to WM6.
    That would be with the Treo Updater 2.25, yes?
    So, it sounds like you are using Outlook to connect to your google mail and calendar, correct?
    Not yet. The person I am trying to help has one of each-a Gmail account, OL and a 750. She wants the same thing reflected in all 3, automatically-open an email in one and its been opened in the other two/deleted in one and its been deleted in the other two, etc. The same for her calendar and contacts. Email sent to the Gmail address will also be in OL and on the 750. So, an action taken in one is reflected in the other two. It doesnt have to be in real time, an interval of 1 or 5 minutes would be close enough, so POP would work. I guess the sticky part of the triangle is the 750. When you say WM will sync with OL, is that only via a local hotsync?
    Pushing the Boundaries of Disorganization
    WM performs all sync locally, UNLESS you are running an Exchange server. It can sync real-time with Exchange over the air.

(The only free service I know of that syncs real-time over the air is Microsoft's Hotmail, thanks to MS Direct Push technology.)

However, in the scenario you outlined, the only way you could get close to what you are looking for is if you could set the Treo to connect to Gmail via IMAP instead of POP. POP will retrieve the messages, but won't update the "read/unread" status. IMAP will.

You would also need to set the PC to connect via IMAP. That way, all would show the message status that currently exists on the mail server.

All other sync items (tasks, calendar, notes, etc...) would still come from a local sync with the PC.

Also, be aware that the more agressive you set your sync schedule, the shorter your battery life due to the constant data connections.

One final note, there is some 3rd party stuff out there to enable direct push as well. Never used it myself as I'm on exchange, but you may want to have a look at www.emoze.com. They claim it's a free service. It may fit your situation.

Oh yeah, upgrades. Definitely move to WM6. 2.25 is the latest version of the AT&T rom. If you would rather have the "unbranded" rom (without all the AT&T crapware) PM me and I'll send you a download link.

Good luck.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html