Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Truly truly I say to you the 850 and 800 will have the same screen size, (2.5), diagonal as the past treos so the keyboard on the 850 will be .18 inches bigger that the centro, couple that with the improved tactile experience present on a centro device and we are in for a wonderful keyboarding experience that has become the hallmark of palm hardware!!! We are treo lovers because treo kicks @$$ and the 850 and 800 will be even better that all the palm hardware that has come before it!!! There is no chance that the addition of GPS and WiFi will be contained in a "centro size" thus the new hardware will have the benefits of innovation, successful redesign and tried and true, loved, uber friendly form similar to the 700 series,,,,, (but better)!!!!
    Dude, high five for some unabashed Palm enthusiasm!

Verily, Palm then bestowed the 8xx series upon the world (and there was much rejoicing)...
    I had to laugh when I saw all the early reactions to the pictures of the 850 and how everyone says that 800w should be designed liked the 850.

It's the same phone! All they did was swap the radio from CDMA with GSM and replace the front face. My money is on the fact that the 850 and the 800w are going to be functionally identical. The buttons may be curved differently but they're all in the exact same spot. Every single one of them.

I think it's going to wind up being a big non-event.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    It's the same phone! All they did was swap the radio from CDMA with GSM and replace the front face.
    Buy a broken 850 on Ebay and do a body swap?
  4.    #44  
    Well, we have seen the actual 800w phone that will be released (on the Powerpoint presentation). We haven't seen the actual 850 phone AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$ $tend$ $to$ $agree$ $that$ $they$ $will$ $likely$ $be$ $the$ $same$ $iteration$. $I$ $just$ $wonder$ $how$ $long$ $it$ $will$ $take$ $for$ $my$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$ $store$ $to$ $get$ $the$ $GSM$ $version$.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    Well, we have seen the actual 800w phone that will be released (on the Powerpoint presentation). We haven't seen the actual 850 phone AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$ $tend$ $to$ $agree$ $that$ $they$ $will$ $likely$ $be$ $the$ $same$ $iteration$. $I$ $just$ $wonder$ $how$ $long$ $it$ $will$ $take$ $for$ $my$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$ $store$ $to$ $get$ $the$ $GSM$ $version$.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...palm-treo-850/

Surur
  6.    #46  
    Is this indeed the actual device that Palm will release? I was thinking this was just another pre-release spy-type shot. I guess I need to find out what exactly "BGR" is.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    Is this indeed the actual device that Palm will release? I was thinking this was just another pre-release spy-type shot. I guess I need to find out what exactly "BGR" is.
    It seems polished enough already and I believe its the 800w pictures which everyone says is pre-release.

Surur
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    It seems polished enough already and I believe its the 800w pictures which everyone says is pre-release.

Surur
    I was *asz-summing* that the photos of the 800w in the powerpoint presentation that was leaked to Engadget were of the final device. The Samsung device has "ID not final" plastered over its picture in the slides, while the 800w does not. Hence, my rationalization that we have seen the actual 800w model.

I do agree with you, though, the 850 does indeed looked "polished." As long as it is the same size as the 800w, I will be happy if what we have seen is the final product. I still like the looks of the 800w, but I gotta have GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    I had to laugh when I saw all the early reactions to the pictures of the 850 and how everyone says that 800w should be designed liked the 850.

It's the same phone! All they did was swap the radio from CDMA with GSM and replace the front face. My money is on the fact that the 850 and the 800w are going to be functionally identical. The buttons may be curved differently but they're all in the exact same spot. Every single one of them.

I think it's going to wind up being a big non-event.
    I dont think it is the same phone physically, software wise yes.

The BGR pic shows the "850" on top of a 8800 series Blackberry from a side profile. They are essentially the same exact thickness. For the record the 8800 series BBs are .55in thick.

Now, the most recent 800 specs (which would seem to be pretty darn accurate) put the 800w at .73in thick. Substantially thicker than the 8800 series and much closer to the 8700 series BB (.77in) or 750/755 treo (.83in)

Two different phones in my opinion. Much like the 700w vs 750.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123