Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a huge fan of palm. I have owned the Treo 600, 650, and 700w. I waited and waited for something new, until I had to jump ship for another device.

In my heart I still held the hope that somehow Palm would pull a rabbit out of a hat and come up with some sort of new, sexy, innovative design for the 800 and win me back.

So the leaked photos come out, and...eh. I am glad that I decided to jump ship.

The icing on the cake here is the leaked photos of the 850 that just showed up. Why would Palm want to take a dump on the customers by designing a a new interesting phone, but then sticking the USA with the same old boring stuff?

I concede that the specs on the 800 sound good, but they just do not go far enough to offset the bulkiness, and frankly, the ugliness of it.

It breaks my heart, but Palm blew it. The only thing that can save them is that the 850 is really the 800.
    Last edited by nickf126; 05/22/2008 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickf126 View Post
    I am a huge fan of palm. I have owned the Treo 600, 650, and 700w. I waited and waited for something new, until I had to jump ship for another device.

In my heart I still held the hope that somehow Palm would somehow pull a rabbit out of a hat and come up with some sort of new, sexy, innovative design for the 800 and win me back.

The icing on the cake here is the leaked photos of the 850 that just showed up. Why would Palm want to take a dump on the customers by designing a a new interesting phone, but then sticking the USA with the same old boring stuff?

I concede that the specs on the 800 sound good, but they just do not go far enough to offset the bulkiness, and frankly, the ugliness of it.

It breaks my heart, but Palm blew it. The only thing that can save them is that the 850 is really the 800.
    you speak the truth brother in pain
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I couldn't agree more. I absolutely love my Palm device and so desperately want to drool over the 800w. However, if the 800w looks like the leaked pictures after being teased with these 850 shots then BB Bold here I come...
    Go Ducks!
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

In my heart I still held the hope that somehow Palm would pull a rabbit out of a hat and come up with some sort of new, sexy, innovative design for the 800 and win me back.

What?

Last time I checked, no phone has been released, and no pics or a reviews of a final unit have been seen/leaked.

Remember how ugly the centro was from leaked pics?

And how are they screwing the US? They have released anything anywhere yet... If there is a exclusitivity to vodafone, which I doubt, it'll be short as they dont even compete with ATT.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I think the OP is referring to the fact that many folks in the us use CDMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    Go Ducks!
    Go Lakers!

Go Palm!

The 800w will look great in it's final iteration.
    I hear you, nick. I had the EXACT same response upon looking at the leaked pics, myself.

Its just.....eh.

I'm heading over to either the blackberry bold or the apple 3g iphone when the time comes for me to upgrade.

The palm experience is old and tired and its just time now to move on. I'm eagerly looking forward to the change. Many former treo users are sorry they hadn't done so earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    I hear you, nick. I had the EXACT same response upon looking at the leaked pics, myself.

Its just.....eh.

I'm heading over to either the blackberry bold or the apple 3g iphone when the time comes for me to upgrade.

The palm experience is old and tired and its just time now to move on. I'm eagerly looking forward to the change. Many former treo users are sorry they hadn't done so earlier.
    It is interesting to see a lot of posters here to judge the final product(s) by using the leaked pictures. Do we have any information about the date of the leaked products, whether it is a final engineer product, whether it is a final product for testers, etc.? I don't have it (maybe you have).

From the investor conference, Palm kept mentioning they will use the same components (most not all) to build future devices to save cost, like CDMA & GSM versions of Centro. My SPECULATION is Palm will make the same hardware for their upcoming models in both GSM & CDMA.

Oh... I may be classified as a defensive fanboy... LOL.

From many years of experience in IT field, I always suggest people to look at the functionality instead of technology. The most important is whether it is worked for you. It doesn't matter how old is the technology. If you found anything can improve your productivity or meet your needs, then you should move on. Who's stopping you?
    Its always interesting to see palm fanboys come to the immediate defense of a company which has done such precious little to significantly improve the user experience in its successive product lines over the past several years. Aside from evdo, memory changes and minor software tweaking, we're holding the same treos we had back in 2004 - 5.
    (Not to mention it being a monumental disappointment to its own shareholders. )

They defend the sensibility behind a company's use of "old" components being used in products which they "upgrade" to. LOL. That is rich.

There ARE better alternatives to palm and, in my case, the only thing stopping me from switching RIGHT NOW is the fact that sprint does not yet carry the blackberry bold. The moment it does, you can bet the creaky old parts in your treo that i'll be very happily jumpin' aboard!!!
    There ARE better alternatives to palm and, in my case, the only thing stopping me from switching RIGHT NOW is the fact that sprint does not yet carry the blackberry bold. The moment it does, you can bet the creaky old parts in your treo that i'll be very happily jumpin' aboard!!!
    Not on sprint... IMO... and I'm not moving to another provider.

I like the treo form factor but I'm sure there are better alternatives to palm for some people.... htc makes some nice devices... BB has some nice devices... those device don't work for me.

I'm stuck waiting for an alternative or waiting for the 800w or keeping my treo 700wx.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    those device don't work for me.
    Clearly they work for other people - treo sales have been declining year on year.
    Its always interesting to see palm fanboys come to the immediate defense of a company which has done such precious little to significantly improve the user experience in its successive product lines over the past several years. Aside from evdo, memory changes and minor software tweaking, we're holding the same treos we had back in 2004 - 5.

They defend the sensibility behind a company's use of "old" components being used in products which they "upgrade" to. LOL. That is rich.

LMAO... Did I say Palm is good? Did I say other device is no good? Do you know what devices I am using? I am wondering whether you are defensive or I am defensive.

Why do people keep mentioning the Bold? It's not even in the same league as the 800w. It's a dumbed down smartphone for newbies. Limited OS, no touchscreen, no 3rd party programs, etc. Compare the Bold to the upcoming Instinct if you want a fair comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Clearly they work for other people - treo sales have been declining year on year.
    You hit reply for the sake of watching yourself type...

That is why I put in bold "don't work for me."

Of course they work for other people... I don't deny that... my reply was not about other people... I'm selfish, it is about me. And only me.

There are a lot of reasons for the treo sales decline... we could argue about that for ages and get no place that we have not already been.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  16.    #16  
    The point to my post is this:
    Somehow...I really don't know how, photos of the 800w and 850 have been leaked by someone. It really does not matter if Palm did it or not. The fact of the matter here is that the 850 has that "0o0o0o0" spark that makes you want to use it. It is new and interesting. It just looks cool.

Now you may say, hey if the device works and does what you want it to do I don't care what it looks like. I disagree with that mindset. I WANT that new sexy device. I want that new piece of technology. If this were not true, we would all be walking around with a Treo 600.

Are YOU using a Treo 600? If you aren't, then you agree with me, weather you admit it or not.
    By-the-way, I use the Treo 600 as an example here. You can feel free to insert the last device that you owned and are currently not using that is collecting dust somewhere.
    The point to my post is this:
    Somehow...I really don't know how, photos of the 800w and 850 have been leaked by someone. It really does not matter if Palm did it or not. The fact of the matter here is that the 850 has that "0o0o0o0" spark that makes you want to use it. It is new and interesting. It just looks cool.

Now you may say, hey if the device works and does what you want it to do I don't care what it looks like. I disagree with that mindset. I WANT that new sexy device. I want that new piece of technology. If this were not true, we would all be walking around with a Treo 600.

Are YOU using a Treo 600? If you aren't, then you agree with me, weather you admit it or not.
    By-the-way, I use the Treo 600 as an example here. You can feel free to insert the last device that you owned and are currently not using that is collecting dust somewhere.

Your argument falls short when you consider that the treo 600 had less function than say a treo 700wx or even a treo 700p.

The treo 800w will have win 6.1 and a better screen... that is enough for me to upgrade.

I think we all upgrade for different reasons... if you like something sexy, I respect that.... I don't care as much. I want function.

But your argument falls short when you bring the treo 600 into it... and really short when you attempt to compare devices like the 700wx to the 800w.... or even the 600 to the 800w. lol....

All of the above is "IMO." We all upgrade/update or love/hate devices for our own reasons... I think we could argue the sexiness vs. function thing all day long and not get far.
    The 800w and 850 are expected to basically have the same specs:
    • WM6.1
    • 320x320
    • WiFi
    • GPS
    • 128/256mb
    • BT 2.0
    • 2.1mp camera

So the technology underneath will relatively be the same, it's just the outside shell that'll be different.

I do find the 850's looks more compelling but I also prefer the 800w's KB overall. The Centro's KB is nice and works for me but the larger 700/800 series is slightly better.

I'm with theog here: looks and style don't really matter at all for myself when it comes to cell phones--just how they feel in the hand and how well they work.

Of course I recognize that puts me in the minority and does not necessarily translate into higher selling numbers. So be it. I'm not really interested in if a company fails or succeeds as long as I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is quite false actually.

Palm's problem is that they have not been growing as fast as everyone else. They have lost market share due to basically not having enough product on the market both in terms of cycles and different versions. Combine that with other companies offering varying devices, price points and form factors (all a good thing) and the pie slice gets smaller, but only relatively, but everyone still gets "more" overall.

But there is little reason to suggest that if they offer a compelling Treo that is available in many markets for a reasonable price, that it won't do well.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I do find the 850's looks more compelling but I also prefer the 800w's KB overall. The Centro's KB is nice and works for me but the larger 700/800 series is slightly better.
    Well I'm assuming since the 850 is still part of the Treo line I'm pretty sure that it's overall width will definitely be wider than a Centro. The Centro has a very usable KB for it's size imo, but throw that same rubbery style KB on a Treo with it's wider dimensions and I think we have a great improvement to the Treo's KB. It just looks like Palm took the keys from the 700 and slapped it on the 800 with no refinement in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    It just looks like Palm took the keys from the 700 and slapped it on the 800 with no refinement in any way.
    I noticed that as well... but I'm unsure how they could have refined the KB on the treo. I pretty much like the 700wx feel and usability.

Maybe in their tests they had more people say they liked the treo kb so palm decided to leave it alone. I dunno... only speculating.

I'll have to admit that I've not used other devices for any length of time to perform a fair comparison. I've never even held a centro.

Is the KB an issue to some? It must be too small for a small number... that is a given... not sure of any other issues.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast