Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 135
  1. #101  
    Knowing Palm-logic, if people complain enough about the 850 looking better than the 800, they'll probably make them both look like the 800 so no one can complain
  2. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Apple will do nifty things with the GPS in iPhone II, and everyone will say (including me) "anyone could have done that" because anyone could have done that. Most people are not very interested in the excuses why they did not however.
    Exactly. Palm could have done things to improve Garnet so it at least looked modern, as several third party apps have done, but for whatever reason they didn't. It's the software and not the hardware that's going to make the difference, HTC figured that out eventually.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    The most obvious innovation from Palm is the Centro keyboard. For all the skepticism, it's remarkably effective. To me innovation is a feature like this, inconceivable and yet redefines a new threshold of what's possible.
    That sounds like a pretty good definition and example, to me.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  4. #104  
    I re-sized the pics based on the usable screen area and this is what I got for size comparison. As long as the 850's screen is the same size as the 700's screen then this is a perfect comparison.

    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 05/23/2008 at 01:35 PM.
  5. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #105  
    all these complainers about the Centro's keys. my gawd ppl, get a laptop! I'm a fat fingered 50 yo and have no issues with my Centro!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    all these complainers about the Centro's keys. my gawd ppl, get a laptop! I'm a fat fingered 50 yo and have no issues with my Centro!
    It's not so much that the Centro's keyboard is bad...it's just that the 700 series keyboard is, well, better.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAholic View Post
    It's not so much that the Centro's keyboard is bad...it's just that the 700 series keyboard is, well, better.
    yup, exactly.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. mikecc's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    #108  
    So far from what I read, it will be available only on GSM network. Which means only AT&T will have it in the States. How come T-Mobile never carry Treos?
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
  9. #109  
    Nice design, seems an OEM build with Palm's trimmings though. I doubt that Palm would be looking to break the mold with Treos. It would be smarter to get inline with current trends and then use Nova's first devices to break molds. That would be innovative, and smarter for them. These two seem more a refresh than a renew - and that's ok. I personally hope that they can just execute well on these, and then really knock out the box what's been much better hidden.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

    Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  10. #110  
    Barring insanely low RAM, this is my next phone. Never thought I'd be considering a Windows Mobile device, but these specs are just too juicy! I'm also very appreciative of a 1500 mAh battery. Sweet indeed!
  11. H_D
    H_D is offline
    H_D's Avatar
    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Barring insanely low RAM, this is my next phone. Never thought I'd be considering a Windows Mobile device, but these specs are just too juicy! I'm also very appreciative of a 1500 mAh battery. Sweet indeed!
    Honestly, if they dont have AT LEAST 64mb RAM, you shouldnt even consider it. The RAM issue is the same issue that hampered the 700w & trust me, that was a user experience I would rather not even remember.
  12. #112  
    rambo:

    I'm with you, well, almost. If the 850 were available tomorrow, I'd be in line at the store. For now, I'm torn between the 850 and the HTC Diamond. I'm guessing the first one out the door is the first one on my desk.
    Gimme the P-Funk!
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi View Post
    rambo:

    I'm with you, well, almost. If the 850 were available tomorrow, I'd be in line at the store. For now, I'm torn between the 850 and the HTC Diamond. I'm guessing the first one out the door is the first one on my desk.

    Having a Touch XL, and after months of using it, I don't have doubts between Treo and any other form factor, specially keyboard-less devices: Always Treo.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    You keep talking about my GPS button idea, but innovation is not just about new technology, but using that technology in new and useful ways.

    When I said add a button for GPS, I saif this button should be tied to a software backend, so hitting it should for example report back the GPS location to back-office, so managers know where their sales team are. That would be innovative, and the kind of thing I expect Apple will do with the GPS in iPhone 2.

    There is plenty of innovation that can take place which can increase the utility and desirability of a Treo without losing the iconic form factor.

    Maybe we can have a thread were people can list interesting ideas (as Palm cleary are devoid of them).

    Surur

    THIS post is spot on regarding innovation, Mal.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Err...if any of that is directed towards myself, I never claimed that
    • what Palm does or is doing is "innovative"
    • justified Palm's "single device" approach (in fact I have said otherwise)

    My only issue is all things being equal with a Treo form factor, I'm not clear on what it is exactly people are expecting for a "break through" in design. Make it thinner? Make it wider? Add a button here, a scroll wheel there? Does that count? I would think not.

    You say you know what innovation is yet fail to elaborate.

    "Innovation" for myself means new form factors, putting a KB somewhere else, adding an accelerometer for screen changes, etc. But when it comes to a "Treo", the form factor is tried and tested: it just works. That's why the slight modifications to overall design.

    Heck, even RIM knows this. When the 9000 pics leaked there were plenty of "yawns" in the comment sections at BGR, Engadget, etc. as RIM is basically re-hashing the same design. They just upped the specs (and cost).

    Also, no one "approves" of Palm's pace on anything--I've had my 700wx since the day it came out and I'm, you know, sort of yearning for something new.

    So since you "bolded" my name in your post and I assume you are aiming the "fanboy" remarks indirectly at me, I would appreciate a response or clarification on what you mean.

    btw, Gerorne's post above is spot on.

    As I highlighted above, I think surur makes good points regarding form factor development. Since you claimed ive FAILED to elaborate on what i think is innovation, I`ll go further here.

    Palm could design a screen which rotates from a vertical position into a horizontal position revealing the keyboard. In doing so, they could incorporate a much larger screen with much higher resolution ( 480x320, lets say ). In doing so they would enhance the media experience on their devices significantly while maintaining their focus on business features. THIS is innovation, Mal. It would attract more to their base.

    Having GPS onboard, this larger screen would also improve the navigation experience as you would have more viewing real estate for turn by turn directions.

    On a software end, they could make sorely needed improvements (like flash) to their blazer browser, enabling a more efficient internet experience.
    They could develop an email service which rivals or improves upon blackberry push. Palm could develop cdma devices with chips built in to operate when out of the country - increasing usability for their customers who travel frequently. There are all sorts of possibilities.

    So there you go. For all palm has promised in offering the best in mobile computing, I think THEY are the ones who have failed here.
    Last edited by logmein; 05/31/2008 at 10:41 AM.
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Palm could design a screen which rotates from a vertical position into a horizontal position revealing the keyboard. In doing so, they could incorporate a much larger screen with much higher resolution ( 480x320, lets say ). In doing so they would enhance the media experience on their devices significantly while maintaining their focus on business features. THIS is innovation, Mal. It would attract more to their base.
    Entirely disagreed. This wouldn't attract more to their base, it'd result in the few customers who have remained loyal to vanish. There's a reason Treo users haven't switched to the Tilt, Mogul, etc. We don't want sliders, but instead want the keyboard to be accessible at all times. This is one of the few features for Treos that makes them stand out from the rest of the WM crowd, changing that would give no reason for people to stay.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Entirely disagreed. This wouldn't attract more to their base, it'd result in the few customers who have remained loyal to vanish. There's a reason Treo users haven't switched to the Tilt, Mogul, etc. We don't want sliders, but instead want the keyboard to be accessible at all times. This is one of the few features for Treos that makes them stand out from the rest of the WM crowd, changing that would give no reason for people to stay.
    Absolute nonsense. I ENTIRELY disagree with you. Maybe YOU dont want different form factors, but maybe, just maybe, OTHERS might. What palm is already doing NOW is causing many loyal palm customers to vanish. Check out the blackberry subforum. Many veteran treo users here have happily made the switch from treos to blackberries in the past year and only wish they`d done so sooner! We can very clearly see that Palm is giving no reason for people to stay as it is, jhoff So Im not buying your pitch here whatsoever.


    Look at rimm. Even they are working on a flip design blackberry and other form factors to appeal to a broader margin. Do you think those efforts are based on YOUR type of reasoning? They are the top gun in the market. With their success, they have no reason to experiment with form factors, yet even they are going in this direction. Your argument is dubious at best.

    New models CERTAINLY WOULD attract more to the base and show me evidence ( not merely biased opinion ) that it wouldn`t Please. Palm could produce BOTH the treo form factor (which some here seem to insist on having) and the new design together, to appeal to those who are ready for something new.

    By how much exactly is the treo outselling the Tilt, Mogul, etc?

    You folks are funny. You want examples of innovation and then immediately discredit any and all ideas when they are given. Pfft.
    Last edited by logmein; 05/31/2008 at 02:31 PM.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Absolute nonsense. I ENTIRELY disagree with you. Maybe YOU dont want different form factors, but maybe, just maybe, OTHERS might. What palm is already doing NOW is causing many loyal palm customers to vanish. Check out the blackberry subforum. Many veteran treo users here have happily made the switch from treos to blackberries in the past year and only wish they`d done so sooner! We can very clearly see that Palm is giving no reason for people to stay as it is, jhoff So Im not buying your pitch here whatsoever.


    Look at rimm. Even they are working on a flip design blackberry and other form factors to appeal to a broader margin. Do you think those efforts are based on YOUR type of reasoning? They are the top gun in the market. With their success, they have no reason to experiment with form factors, yet even they are going in this direction. Your argument is dubious at best.

    New models CERTAINLY WOULD attract more to the base and show me evidence ( not merely biased opinion ) that it wouldn`t Please. Palm could produce BOTH the treo form factor (which some here seem to insist on having) and the new design together, to appeal to those who are ready for something new.

    By how much exactly is the treo outselling the Tilt, Mogul, etc?

    You folks are funny. You want examples of innovation and then immediately discredit any and all ideas when they are given. Pfft.
    Those who are still using Palm products haven't switched for a reason. The ones who want another form factor have already switched, and quite frankly, nothing Palm can do will get them back, since they just can't compare hardware wise. The one defining feature of Treos right now, is the keyboard. People are keeping hardware that is in many ways inferior for the keyboard. I realize that many are switching anyway, but if you don't want a keyboard, there are far better options, and always will be. Palm just can't keep up in that regard, and so sticking to the one thing that keeps users around is a good thing.

    And in fact, I don't think innovation is necessary in the form factor at all. The Treo is a great form factor. Its the internal hardware and software that has fallen behind the times. (WM partly helps that, but WM still looks behind the times compared to Android or the iPhone OS.)
  19. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #119  
    A rotating screen could be innovative I guess, but I see it as a slight variation on a slider. And unless you have inside information how do you know there are no innovations with the software?
    I think Palm really needs to update the 7XXW series and make them stable with all the latest bells and whistles. Once they have a revenue stream from that, they can focus on the new form factors for Nova. And this appears to be exactly their strategy. Put out one really good product first, then invest in R&D. Maybe it's too late for you, but I think they are on the right track. Releasing new form factors now would be stretching themselves too thin.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    THIS post is spot on regarding innovation, Mal.
    Yeah, this is really a dumb discussion as I already mentioned any labeling of "innovation" is subjective. It's opinion (as I pointed out, Surur thinks nothing on the iPhone is innovative. Do you agree with him there too?)

    But besides that, as I pointed out in this post, Surur's idea is hardly innovative, unless you consider Sprint having offered the service since 2005 (and a much better implementation than Surur's idea) innovative.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    As I highlighted above, I think surur makes good points regarding form factor development. Since you claimed ive FAILED to elaborate on what i think is innovation, I`ll go further here.

    Palm could design a screen which rotates from a vertical position into a horizontal position revealing the keyboard. In doing so, they could incorporate a much larger screen with much higher resolution ( 480x320, lets say ). In doing so they would enhance the media experience on their devices significantly while maintaining their focus on business features. THIS is innovation, Mal. It would attract more to their base.
    This is a bizarre idea.

    One of the main reasons people use a Treo is one-handedness (especially the WM ones), which you just now threw out the window.

    Look at the 6800 and slide it out. Now look at the back of the screen. That is what you would be looking at when you slid and rotated the screen--imo, that'd be hideous looking.

    Why is enhancing "the media experience" relevant for an enterprise device again?
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Having GPS onboard, this larger screen would also improve the navigation experience as you would have more viewing real estate for turn by turn directions.
    Sure, but with GPS units now coming standard in cars or selling for $149 with 3.5" + screens and much better integration with the car, the argument for making your phone a better "car GPS system" is waining.

    Most are now focusing on "personal GPS" for when you are walking around or are in a store and want to go get some Chinese food with some friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    On a software end, they could make sorely needed improvements (like flash) to their blazer browser, enabling a more efficient internet experience.
    What does Blazer have to do with WM? What does having Flash have to do with enterprise? Flash-lite is even coming to WM this year--why should Palm do it when MS is doing it for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    They could develop an email service which rivals or improves upon blackberry push.
    So a WM device is built around the core of Exchange/Activsync, a strong and viable competitor to RIM and you want Palm to offer yet another solution for push email? Colligan just said it would not make sense for them to try to compete against MS in enterprise--they'd get killed.

    Even on top of the fact that Sprint ships their devices with Seven's push email client which will SMS-push (for free) any personal email service you have, including Gmail?

    Palm needs even more solutions? C'mon.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Palm could develop cdma devices with chips built in to operate when out of the country - increasing usability for their customers who travel frequently. There are all sorts of possibilities.
    Yeah, I've said that numerous times myself. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Sprint$ $has$ $only$ $1$ $WM$ &$quot$;$world$ $device$&$quot$; $and$ $1$ $RIM$ &$quot$;$world$ $device$&$quot$; $and$ $they$ $are$ $both$ $lacking$ $other$ $features$. $Still$, $it$'$d$ $be$ $nice$. $Innovative$? $Not$ $really$--$they$ $would$ $not$ $be$ $the$ $first$ $company$ $to$ $do$ $something$ $like$ $that$.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    So there you go. For all palm has promised in offering the best in mobile computing, I think THEY are the ones who have failed here.
    Fine. Then move on and let it go. What's the big deal?

    You are confusing two things, it seems to me:

    Modify the Treo vs. Palm needs new other devices

    Your flip screens, etc that you want could be attempted on other devices--no problem, no argument. Just don't call it a Treo. It is not.

    Yet that is what we are talking about here, the Treo. Not what other designs Palm needs to try. That is a seperate topic with little disagreement.

    Colligan just stated they will have various "Centro" devices and various "Nova" devices--that is where (hopefully) we'll see a lot of the stuff you mentioned. The Treo will remain stable in the form factor and relatively conservative (compared to prosumer media devices) in superfluous features and...well..gimmicks.

    Just my opinion.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions