Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Guys,

It is hard to define the innovation concept. I agree with Malatesta in the sense that everyone throws that into the mix but fail to grasp the basic concept. However, it is easier to describe it in this statement for this particular case

Innovation: 850

Clearly, putting the two devices together (800w vs 850v), anybody who is/isn't a Palm follower would very likely say that the 850 looks innovative, versus the 800w that looks just rather functional. Both have the same general features (the keyboard and screen Malatesta was referring to).

The innovative piece could be explained by the use of rounded shapes, flush screen, piano black finish. The devil is in the details. The looks call for a "function follows form" situation: if the device performs as good as it looks, then it is a desirable piece. The 800w lacks that awe inspiring external looks and many were only happy to claim that "well, at least is the first WiFi phone for Palm". It's like saying that the ugly lady in the room at least has a nice smile before her top-model sister makes an entry into the party.

A techno parallel we can draw here perhaps is with the Mac Air and the Lenovo X300. Both are laptops, both have keyboards, a screen, CPU, SSD, etc, the technological innovation is marginal there... but who is innovative? We can claim both in a good day, but who got the perceived innovation lead? Which is the laptop getting the momentum in the media, and the attention of everyone? Mac Air is probably the winner here.

In other note, it was just a few days ago when everyone was bracing for the 800w, doing mental excercises (brainwashing?) to convince themselves the 800w is a radical piece for Palm and that the looks were not as important. How many of those folks claim the same now that they have an 850, that matches vis-a-vis the 800w in specs? To them I say: people, it is OK to ask for quality in products, it is OK to ask for something to look both good and be functional at the same time. It can happen as Palm themselves have proven today.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Here you go - 750 - 800 - 850:

Credits to PalmInfocenter, Shadowmite, and BGR for the pictures. Not sure they're exactly to scale, but you get the idea

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    To be honest in my opinion the 800 looks to be the early design (6xx to 7xx) Palm had in mind before Jon Rubinstein joined the team and 850 is his design cues (ex. centro and I think 500v; they are too similar) I can't see them releasing 2 totally differnt looking smartphones. its wouldn't even be cost effective. I still feel that the 800 and 850 will be the same and they are beta testing with old shell to avoid actual leaks.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    I still feel that the 800 and 850 will be the same and they are beta testing with old shell to avoid actual leaks.
    That is what I was thinking today too, but unfortunately there is no evidence really to support it.

In fact, I know they are making alterations to that 800w design (with newer devices varying on certain trimmings, etc.), which seems odd if it's just a ploy. We'll know in a couple of weeks when the device gets finalized and ready for production.

OTOH, it's a brilliant idea and I think a bunch of us are hoping for that...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    yup sure hope so..... with all their talk about reducing cost from previous pratice by using the same parts and stuff that would be a dumb move to have orders for the 2 different form factors for the same model series.
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    The foleo was a legitimate attempt? Please, Doc. The foleo was just plain stupidity. Egregrious stupidity and a waste of limited resources.

They are a smartphone company, not a laptop business. Im talking smartphones here, not tablet pcs, or notebook companions, or anything other than pocketable mobile devices.

The foleo does NOT pass by any stretch as a legitimate, credible example of palm offering better, more diversified smartphones. Period.
    The only thing that was wrong with the Foleo was the OS. Palm dropped the ball developing the Foleo OS alongside Nova. The Foleo should have run Nova at launch.

I am still waiting for the Foleo because there is nothing like it. I would gladly take the drop in CPU power to allow the Foleo to last all day without a recharge. What else can do that now?
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The only thing that was wrong with the Foleo was the OS. Palm dropped the ball developing the Foleo OS alongside Nova. The Foleo should have run Nova at launch.

I am still waiting for the Foleo because there is nothing like it. I would gladly take the drop in CPU power to allow the Foleo to last all day without a recharge. What else can do that now?
    Celio Redfly?

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    Quote Originally Posted by URPREY View Post
    Celio Redfly?
    Can you use it without a phone?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Celio Redfly?
    Nope Celio Redfly isn't the same. Its like a docking station for your smartphone. The idea and concept behind the foleo is/was to have a extension of your smartphone including sync'd info and software. Basically imaging have a mobile verison of linux or POS on a very portable laptop and phone at the same time always sharing info and moving from one to the other on the fly.
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Thanks for the photos URPREY!!! Much easier to compare looking at them side by side rather than flipping between threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Nope Celio Redfly isn't the same. Its like a docking station for your smartphone. The idea and concept behind the foleo is/was to have a extension of your smartphone including sync'd info and software. Basically imaging have a mobile verison of linux or POS on a very portable laptop and phone at the same time always sharing info and moving from one to the other on the fly.
    How is that practically different from the redfly?

Surur
    Here you go - 750 - 800 - 850:

Credits to PalmInfocenter, Shadowmite, and BGR for the pictures. Not sure they're exactly to scale, but you get the idea

Looks like the 850 is going to be a winner
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Even thought I doubt I would be getting one lets hope the 800w leaked pics are just beta models or what not. Also for some reason i think the 800w is going to come out on Sprint and VZW the same time the 850 comes out.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    dont hate me too much i dont have a treo or a centro or any sorta palm product for that matter but i like the 800w over the 850............

i dunno just one guys opinion.........
    I have both a 700wx and a Centro. All I can say is, I hope that the final product isn't as small as the Centro. The keyboard is too cramped, but most importantly, the screen is too small. I love the fact that most stuff I do with the 700wx can be done without using the stylus; I just tap the screen with my grubby fingers. The WM operating system is great for pecking at the screen. I can't imagine using WM on hardware like the Centro (mine is sitting in a box unused).

That being said, I want integrated WiFi so bad I'll probably just live with whatever hardware piece Palm produces.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I know this is preproduction, but what's up with those yellow dots? Mal?
    One of them looks like a talk key, the others not sure.
    I like the 800w - don't like the straight keyboard - the Centro look is growing on me - but I still like the feel of my 755p 4 hotkeys over my wife's Centro hotkeys
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Like others have mentioned its definitely not Windows Standard. Windows Standard has no use for that on screen KB icon.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    850w is much better in my opinion. 800w might be just a prototype and will never go into production (I hope). If they price the 850 right, it's going to be selling hot like the Centro.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast