Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    So this thing's coming out tomorrow, right?
    Gonna be a long wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    WM 6.1 has a 8-21% improvement in efficiency for power...whatever that means, so it's getting a bit better. GSM will also help.

treosensei
    : while keeping the Treo form-factor (it is a Treo afterall), what pray tell do you actually mean by "innovation".

I see lots of forum throw that term around with abandon but never define it or give an example of how they would make this device "more innovative" yet not change the form factor.

I mean it's a screen, keyboard, earpiece on top, mic at the bottom and some buttons. Camera on the back with a speaker.

All the rest is just minor details, no?

That was a hardware issue with the 700/755p (specifically the memory architecture). The Centro is actually the fastest PalmOS phone yet and has the same processor.

Likewise, the 700wx and 750 are quite speedy for WM devices--faster than their counterparts. A 400mhz processor is just fine, especially since Palm has removed a lot of the overhead from WM.

When I say innovation, I`m referring to incorporating a larger screen with sharper resolution, improving the keyboard usability with larger and more comfortably spaced keys - the centro kb design is just too cramped for heavy data input. They might place a flash with the camera. There are all sorts of advancements they could make.

Yes these are treos but that doesnt mean palm shouldn`t offer other form factors. Different people may prefer different designs, and providing them could improve palm`s profitability, create more appeal and therefore larger market share.

You might offer one model with a large screen and slideout keyboard. They could also offer a phone which resembles the form factor of the LG enV - a larger interior screen though. They could offer a treo without a keyboard, to compete with the iphone.

A flip phone could also be considered - reminiscent of the kyocera hit model. There are many opportunities for innovation regarding different form factors, Mal. Relegating themselves to simply ONE, particularly in their current financial situation, doesnt seem to be the way to go. We can all agree that their current strategy is not conquering the world, by any stretch of the imagination. That is for sure. They are practically also-rans in the world of mobile computing now.
    Is it possible this is the Treo 800? The 800w leaked picture is the prototype or engineer unit and this is the final design.
    The screenshot shows the user agent, and that says Treo850.

Maybe its because Europe demands a more stylish device? I recall Colligan saying this was the main reason they were dropping the antenna on the 750.

Surur
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Also, when you blow up the pic, the connection icon appears to be an H (although admittedly blurry) indicating HSDPA coverage.

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    When I say innovation, I`m referring to incorporating a larger screen with sharper resolution, improving the keyboard usability with larger and more comfortably spaced keys - the centro kb design is just too cramped for heavy data input. They might place a flash with the camera. There are all sorts of advancements they could make.

Yes these are treos but that doesnt mean palm shouldn`t offer other form factors. Different people may prefer different designs, and providing them could improve palm`s profitability, create more appeal and therefore larger market share.

You might offer one model with a large screen and slideout keyboard. They could also offer a phone which resembles the form factor of the LG enV - a larger interior screen though. They could offer a treo without a keyboard, to compete with the iphone.

A flip phone could also be considered - reminiscent of the kyocera hit model. There are many opportunities for innovation regarding different form factors, Mal. Relegating themselves to simply ONE, particularly in their current financial situation, doesnt seem to be the way to go. We can all agree that their current strategy is not conquering the world, by any stretch of the imagination. That is for sure. They are practically also-rans in the world of mobile computing now.
    Well we know some things for sure.
    1. This is the Treo brand design period. Palm OS or WM the form factor will remain the same.
    2. The new OS will come in different form factors and we'll just have to wait and see then. This was confirmed by Ed.
    3. Some things may seem like the ideal improvement but maybe be. Example are screen = a smaller KB or a longer device.
    4. For a lot of people and I'm assuming you palm can't win because even if they didn't make form factors give you'd say they aren't innovating.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Well we know some things for sure.
    1. This is the Treo brand design period. Palm OS or WM the form factor will remain the same.
    2. The new OS will come in different form factors and we'll just have to wait and see then. This was confirmed by Ed.
    3. Some things may seem like the ideal improvement but maybe be. Example are screen = a smaller KB or a longer device.
    4. For a lot of people and I'm assuming you palm can't win because even if they didn't make form factors give you'd say they aren't innovating.

Im not being unreasonable here. In fact, Id say Im in the majority whose opinion reflects distaste with palm`s minimalist, incrementalist approach. If palm truly innovated, Id acknowledge the effort. They are doing as little as possible and that has been their style for years now. Im not being difficult.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Im not being unreasonable here. In fact, Id say Im in the majority whose opinion reflects distaste with palm`s minimalist, incrementalist approach. If palm truly innovated, Id acknowledge the effort. They are doing as little as possible and that has been their style for years now. Im not being difficult.
    LOL last time they did the product *didn't made it to market
    Last edited by Doc31; 05/21/2008 at 12:21 PM.
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Potentially shorter battery life. Even if that was the case, that`s why there are extra or extended batteries... The goal is performance. You dont want to have lag in a high end device.
    High capacity = bigger. People want slimmer phones so you can't make it slim and have a high capacity battery.

The nav pad looks like what you would expect to find on most blackberry devices - namely the blackberry 9000 ( bold )
    The Bold has a trackball and not a D pad so I don't see the similarity
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    What about the buttons on the right-hand side ... WiFi ... and ...? Doesn't look like an IR port to me ...

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil750 View Post
    What about the buttons on the right-hand side ... WiFi ... and ...? Doesn't look like an IR port to me ...

WiFi on/off switch?
    Handspring treo 90/180/600
    pa1m0ne Treo650 palm Treo 680, palm Treo750,Centro,Samsung i780, Now Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Yeah. But what's the thing next to it?

Quote Originally Posted by nomad2000 View Post
    WiFi on/off switch?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil750 View Post
    Yeah. But what's the thing next to it?
    my guess would be a IR port what makes you think order wise. It isn't rised like an additional button. just a different texture suggesting a plastic window

.... actually you maybe be right. might an assignable button
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad2000 View Post
    WiFi on/off switch?
    It looks like a comm manager button to me.

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    LOL last time they did the product *didn't made it to market
    The foleo was a legitimate attempt? Please, Doc. The foleo was just plain stupidity. Egregrious stupidity and a waste of limited resources.

They are a smartphone company, not a laptop business. Im talking smartphones here, not tablet pcs, or notebook companions, or anything other than pocketable mobile devices.

The foleo does NOT pass by any stretch as a legitimate, credible example of palm offering better, more diversified smartphones. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    High capacity = bigger. People want slimmer phones so you can't make it slim and have a high capacity battery.

The Bold has a trackball and not a D pad so I don't see the similarity
    I dont mind having a device that isnt slim, as long as it is an excellent performer. That`s the honest truth.

The trackball point is a matter of opinion. In my view, it is very reminiscent of the blackberry
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Is it possible this is the Treo 800? The 800w leaked picture is the prototype or engineer unit and this is the final design.
    I was thinking the same thing. Or that internal response to the 800w was that the design sucked so, they redesigned it as 850w?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    The foleo was a legitimate attempt? Please, Doc. The foleo was just plain stupidity. Egregrious stupidity and a waste of limited resources.

They are a smartphone company, not a laptop business. Im talking smartphones here, not tablet pcs, or notebook companions, or anything other than pocketable mobile devices.

The foleo does NOT pass by any stretch as a legitimate, credible example of palm offering better, more diversified smartphones. Period.
    LMAO....Off topic but for the record I loved the Foleo and that's from experience. Innovating: Yes, no one else did it. Yes lacking in some areas but w/ some improvements it would have been the Eee
    Palm is a mobile computing company w/ there main product being a smartphones. Can't wait until its returns with full integration into Palm OS II
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I agree with Malatesta, there isn't much innovation you can do to the Treo form factor, but I think the actual arguement here is a result about of different definitions with the term "innovation".

All your suggestions don't seem like innovation to me. They sound like different design features. If Palm added a flash, people wouldn't be going, "Finally Palm is being innovative with the Treo". They'd say, "Lol! Palm is just stealing the idea again from [insert company that has built a camera phone with a flash]". If they made a larger screen, slightly larger keyboard layout, etc. People would have a lot of lack luster responses, and a few "Finally! This is all I've wanted from Palm."

For me, when I hear the word innovation, I think of some new design of some kind of feature, hardware or software, that has never been done before, and not adding a feature that is simply an improvement.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    One of you photo shop guru's. Can we get a picture of the "800W" and the 850 side by side?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast