Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Palm looks to be ripping off RIMM`s nav pad design while bringing over the centro keyboard, which I did not like. It looks cramped. 400 mhz processor...hmm. I realize its not the processor speed but how well the device performs, but with the current lags on the 700 and the 755, you`d have expected palm to go the extra mile in attempting to eliminate it. That would have meant putting in a 624 mhz chip. But the fact that they are copying a blackberry design for their new navpad is very telling. They are fresh out of originality and creativity.

The sleek black finish is alright, but it looks like much of what palm is doing innovation-wise these days is simply eyewash - from rubberized skin to shiny textures, rounding corners, trimming thickness ever so slightly, etc. It`s very underwhelming.

Brown has now said that the success of new devices running nova will lie with the software, not the hardware. That means relatively uninspiring hardware HOPEFULLY running a significantly improved operating system.

If you`re not going to make an awe-inspiring hardware design, at least equip the model with an impressive engine and features to arouse admiration from your customers. Palm is ho-hum on both counts.

I hope they turn it around, but this company looks like a lemon.
    There's the "hot" factor I was just typing about.

But I suspect that it wouldn't look quite so cool in a different color. Black blends with the creases wonderful in just about any hardware design, so it gives the illusion of greater uniformity.

I don't love that look/layout of the keyboard or the fact that they seem to have abandoned the soft touch exterior, but it's still sweet-looking.

I'm afraid to find out about battery life, though. I'm still sporting the baby-got-back battery on my 755p b/c battery life matters that much to me.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Now we are talking! Glossy black, flush screen, thinner - given a choice, why would some-one buy the 800w over this?

Surur
    Engadget is claiming this is a WM Standard device (as opposed to a WM Professional device like the 800w). So that could be one reason why someone would want the 800w over the 850. However, Engadget's source is boygeniusreport.com and I don't see any mention of WM Standard being the OS on the 850 on that site so not sure where they got that piece of information from. WM Standard devices do tend to be smaller and/or slimmer than WM Professional devices however (presumably due to lesser hardware requirements), so if in fact the 850 is running WM Standard, that may be a reason why its slimmer than the 850.

Also, while I definitely find the Centro's keyboard more than usable, I would think many would prefer the 800w's keyboard. True, we have not actually gotten a chance to use either the 850's or 800w's keyboard so its hard to make a direct comparison at this point in time, but if the 850's keyboard ends up being more similar to the Centro's keyboard and the 800w's keyboard closer to that of the 700wx's (as it would appear from the pics), then its not hard to imagine some people prefering the 800w over the 850 because of the keyboard. OTOH, I could also see some feeling that the 850's keyboard is adequate enough though and hence going for that device.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    400 mhz processor...hmm. I realize its not the processor speed but how well the device performs, but with the current lags on the 700 and the 755, you`d have expected palm to go the extra mile in attempting to eliminate it. That would have meant putting in a 624 mhz chip.
    Yep and having a much shorter battery life to go with it

But the fact that they are copying a blackberry design for their new navpad is very telling.
    Looks like the 5 way on the Treo 500/Centro just round instead of oval You could say that any design that uses a front facing keyboard is a Treo rip off. Design goes through fashions whether it be cars, phones, furniture etc so you will see similarities between every manufacturer.
    Engadget do not know what they are talking about. WM Standard devices do not have start buttons and OK keys. I guess they just cant believe Palm can do flush screens too.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm afraid to find out about battery life, though. I'm still sporting the baby-got-back battery on my 755p b/c battery life matters that much to me.
    WM 6.1 has a 8-21% improvement in efficiency for power...whatever that means, so it's getting a bit better. GSM will also help.

treosensei
    : while keeping the Treo form-factor (it is a Treo afterall), what pray tell do you actually mean by "innovation".

I see lots of forum throw that term around with abandon but never define it or give an example of how they would make this device "more innovative" yet not change the form factor.

I mean it's a screen, keyboard, earpiece on top, mic at the bottom and some buttons. Camera on the back with a speaker.

All the rest is just minor details, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    I realize its not the processor speed but how well the device performs, but with the current lags on the 700 and the 755, you`d have expected palm to go the extra mile in attempting to eliminate it. That would have meant putting in a 624 mhz chip.
    That was a hardware issue with the 700/755p (specifically the memory architecture). The Centro is actually the fastest PalmOS phone yet and has the same processor.

Likewise, the 700wx and 750 are quite speedy for WM devices--faster than their counterparts. A 400mhz processor is just fine, especially since Palm has removed a lot of the overhead from WM.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 05/21/2008 at 10:40 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    just saw this, it's kinda cool but i like the hard edge look of the 800 better. wonder if both will come out on gsm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I see lots of forum throw that term around with abandon but never define it or give an example of how they would make this device "more innovative" yet not change the form factor.

I mean it's a screen, keyboard, earpiece on top, mic at the bottom and some buttons. Camera on the back with a speaker.

All the rest is just minor details, no?
    Remember when the folio was rumoured, and people were talking about a folding screen? And how about the T3, with the sliding, extending screen?

Innovation has an element of risk taking,and it seems Palm these days refuses to take any risks at all.

Surur
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    Engadget is claiming this is a WM Standard device (as opposed to a WM Professional device like the 800w).
    If you look at the left hand side on the side shot there's what looks like the top of a stylus.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    If you look at the left hand side on the side shot there's what looks like the top of a stylus.
    Nice pickup! I certainly hope Engdget is wrong and the 850 is a WM Professional device and not a WM Standard phone.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Remember when the folio was rumoured, and people were talking about a folding screen? And how about the T3, with the sliding, extending screen?

Innovation has an element of risk taking,and it seems Palm these days refuses to take any risks at all.

Surur
    lol, right but you just did what I said people always do!

You mention "take risks" but then don't give an example. Like I said, the Treo line is pretty basic for form-factor. Palm needs to try overall new designs for other devices (sliders, flips, etc.)--no argument But I'm not really sure how "innovation" will translate here (plus, we know nothing really of this device).

I mean, adding a scroll wheel or an extra button is cool, but not really "innovative" either.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    Nice pickup! I certainly hope Engdget is wrong and the 850 is a WM Professional device and not a WM Standard phone.
    They are wrong by miles...

The Vodafone roadmap is pretty clear about the specs: link
    • Quad-band GSM
    • Windows Mobile 6.1
    • 320x320 Flush screen
    • 2mp camera
    • 1500 mAh battery (huge!)
    • GPS, WiFi (!), Bluetooth 2.0

I hope it comes out in CDMA, and with the 800 features.

The 850 looks pretty slick i must admit.
    Seems kind of weird they would release two so close together however. Why not get the 800 out, and instead of waiting 2 -3 years for a new product, release the 850 a year later etc with new stuff. It will be interesting to see what the real difference in the products--800 vs 850 will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    The 850 looks pretty slick i must admit.
    Seems kind of weird they would release two so close together however. Why not get the 800 out, and instead of waiting 2 -3 years for a new product, release the 850 a year later etc with new stuff. It will be interesting to see what the real difference in the products--800 vs 850 will be.
    From what I understand... form factor is the only difference. I've heard it will be the same scenario as the 700wx / 750v release. Internals almost identical (except for the whole pesky radio business) from what has been said.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    Seems kind of weird they would release two so close together however. Why not get the 800 out, and instead of waiting 2 -3 years for a new product, release the 850 a year later etc with new stuff.
    Well the 800 is a CDMA device whereas the 850 is GSM so it makes sense to release them at the same time, cover both bases
    Lets keep the Palm news going and release the Centro on VZW soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Yep and having a much shorter battery life to go with it

Looks like the 5 way on the Treo 500/Centro just round instead of oval You could say that any design that uses a front facing keyboard is a Treo rip off. Design goes through fashions whether it be cars, phones, furniture etc so you will see similarities between every manufacturer.

Potentially shorter battery life. Even if that was the case, that`s why there are extra or extended batteries... The goal is performance. You dont want to have lag in a high end device.

The nav pad looks like what you would expect to find on most blackberry devices - namely the blackberry 9000 ( bold )
    Last edited by treosensei; 05/21/2008 at 12:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I love it. I'll be buying one.

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast