Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    More and more I am thinking that Windows Mobile 7 is going to be a variant of Windows 7, like Apple did with the iPhone OS. I read all this stuff about cloud computing and how it will change computing. Even MS says that half their Exchange mailboxes will be Exchange Online.

With the hardware for cell phones getting pretty solid and internet access basically in every area in the US at least. I see cloud computing being a benefit to the cell phone. The cell phone may even be the new PC/laptop for light use consumers who are more social network types. Especially with the advent of Redfly and Foleo devices.

So it seems logical to me that MS would make WM7 a core or offshoot of Windows 7, and I like this idea. I think it makes WM7 more powerful for the user and since Windows itself is built for personal use, will help bring Windows users to Window mobile.
    I disagree that this would be a good thing. I don't know if the rumored code merging of Pro and Standard will actually happen, but its my opinion that WM7 Pro should be built on top of the Standard version, because a phone should be one-handed and WM Standard (since it has to with no touchscreen) does this so much better than Pro, and quite frankly is much more intuitive.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Take a look at the videos of the HTC Touch Diamond on coolsmartphone.com. That is a WM Pro device with one handed use.

The iPhone isn't really one handed use right now and it is considered the standard for touch screen phones. I think the UI of the Diamond points to what we will see in the future for not only 3rd party UI plugins but also for WinMo itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by globecode View Post
    Take a look at the videos of the HTC Touch Diamond on coolsmartphone.com. That is a WM Pro device with one handed use.

The iPhone isn't really one handed use right now and it is considered the standard for touch screen phones. I think the UI of the Diamond points to what we will see in the future for not only 3rd party UI plugins but also for WinMo itself.
    Exactly why I don't want a touchscreen only (or a slider) phone, and used a Treo for so long (and now a q9c.) Until you can use a touchscreen without looking at it, it also won't be used by all that many. The iPhone is an exception because its considered a "cool" device. I know tons of people who have them though that wish they had buttons... and that's with the capacitive touchscreen rather than the resistive, the Diamond won't be any better in that regard. Don't forget not only those who have to dial when driving but also the younger generation who is constantly texting without looking. While the Diamond does look nice for a touchscreen only device, first of all, we don't know how it is for actual usability, and secondly as I alluded to, the merging of Standard and Pro code bases needs to happen soon, because a regular consumer doesn't know the differences... which is especially a factor with third party applications. I realize that there's many different devices that appeal to everyone, but I entirely agree with the recent Palm statement that the key is in the software. WM Pro as it is now is very unintuitive for casual users. WM Standard's button usage, being the only way to actually use the device, is far superior to the button usage of WM Pro. It should be much easier to add in touchscreen support to WM Standard than it would be to make WM Pro more intuitive.

I use Vista, and love it. However, its not what I'd want at the core of a phone (and the most recent updates is that Windows 7 will use the same kernel as Vista.) Not only is it too resource intensive, but it'd require another switch of processor architecture (we'd have to switch from ARM to x86) making a complete restart for third party apps.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 05/27/2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Hmmm.. maybe you're right though since they just demoed a multitouch Windows 7.