Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Found these over on The Boy Genius Report

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...eo-800w-shots/

Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Seems to be a slightly different version - the hubcab doesn't seem to have TREO on it.
    Last edited by CGK; 05/19/2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Seems to be a slightly different version - the hubcab doesn't to have TREO on it.
    If you look closely, it's been photochopped. That is, the upper right portion of the phone has the carrier name blotted out. This is probably very close to the "finalized" version.

It's hard to tell but it looks like it's about the same depth or maybe a bit thinner than the Mogul. That'd put it at about .7" deep. Same height, so about 4.3" high.

Wish they'd included a 700 in there for comparison.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    If you look closely, it's been photochopped. That is, the upper right portion of the phone has the carrier name blotted out.
    No I mean the ealier photos have TREO branded on the d-pad - this one seems to have a smooth d-pad.
  5.    #5  
    You know, I'm just not liking the look of it, its sooo plain.. I don't know, I actually like the way the 750 or the 755 looks as compared to this one. I hope the final version is a little better
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    No I mean the ealier photos have TREO branded on the d-pad - this one seems to have a smooth d-pad.
    I'm aware of this.

My point was that the finalized design likely lacked the branding on the center button in the d-pad. The carrier name in the upper right (which is where it exists for Sprint on the 700wx's, about the right size for Sprint too) is indicitive that this is a design that the carrier will likely be using (and not simply a test bed).
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    ...the upper right portion of the phone has the carrier name blotted out.
    Actually I think it's the devices ID number that's been blurred out, that way Palm can't easily trace which tester leaked the photos.
    Not a big thing, but the keypad colors have been inverted from the other pics we have.

Also noticing that it looks as if the soft keys are backlit... nice upgrade from my 700wx... never understood why they didnt backlight those.

With the soft keys being "built" into the screen bezel, its going to play hell on the case manufacturers... as they wont have any space for a "crossbar." That's too bad because I love the crystal Seidio cases.
    Last edited by overbyc1; 05/19/2008 at 07:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    This really look pretty!

Thinner than Mogul?

But I still have 1+ year left in my contract and I am using the Mogul now.
    One thing's for sure, the blue that Palm used for their beta tester units was friggin awful. I personally cannot wait until we get to see a finalized design from either Palm or one of the carriers.

Even though the pictures from BGR area a bit dark, the darker gray looks really good compared to that crap blue from the other pics. It would be cool if they color matched the logos of the buttons around the d pad to that of the actual device.
    Why they don't design it with a flushed touchscreen? Seems like everyone else was able to do it.
    Dark Lord of the Sith...
    Fear is My Ally...

http://www.ppcsg.com
    http://www.spug.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddeath View Post
    Why they don't design it with a flushed touchscreen? Seems like everyone else was able to do it.
    What would be the advantage of a flushed touch screen? I can't really see why that would be important.
    A flush touch screen won't collect dust on the edges like a recessed screen. It's much easier to wipe clean.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    A flush touch screen won't collect dust on the edges like a recessed screen. It's much easier to wipe clean.
    It's also much easier to scratch and much easier to press on accident while on a call. Flush screens suck.
    i agree...i would much rather have the 700wx style screen.
    OMG, it's as thick as the Mogul and current-gen Treos (Trei ??).
    I thought they'd go slimmer...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    What are the CPU specs?

--James
    Yes, what are the processors specs????
    i500 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 800w
    Yes... processor specs, please?
    Well...it's definitely looks better than the earlier pictures. I still think the D-Pad area is bigger than it needs to be...even though the design of the 700wx might be boring to some people, there's no wasted space on this phone, other than maybe at the top above the screen.

Personally, I like Palm's design...I can't really think of any other way they can pull off a phone that still has a keyboard on the front of it. I mean, sure you can go thin, but then you have to worry about width (Motorola Q/Q9, BlackBerry Curve). You could go thin and narrow, but then the trend shows that you either lose the touchscreen, the full QWERTY keyboard, or both (Samsung BlackJack/Ace, BlackBerry Pearl), or you have to sacrifice the size of both features (Palm Centro).

I think Palm has it done right. You don't have to have the hands of the jolly green giant to hold the phone. You don't have to slide out a keyboard. You can provide inputs via the touch screen. You don't have to worry about losing all input ability should your touchscreen fail (i.e. Apple iPhone).

Yes, the part about giant hands was overly exaggerated...however, even though the specs don't look too different on paper, 1/10th of an inch makes a huge difference in real life...the Q just does not feel good to hold.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast