Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From various sources

• MSM-6800 chipset (reported here earlier)
    • ~100mb of Program Memory (after OS)/ ~170mb of Storage Memory (after OS)
    • WM 6.1 (5.2.1944)
    • ARM1136 processor
    • WiFi
    • Rubberized feel to final device (new)
    • Dedicated Wifi button on top (new)
    • Micro-USB connector
    • 2.1mp camera
    • No headphone jack (uses microUSB to 3.5mm adapter)
    • 1150mah battery (new) (interchangeable with Centro)

Plus the usual:
    • 320x320
    • RevA (on release?)
    • GPS (network indepenedent)
    • Palm Threaded SMS

If true, that available 101.53mb of free ram (after OS it sounds) is pretty huge* and I think hints at some serious OS optimizations (yes, that is speculation on my part).

Rubberized paint is very welcomed for final version and the dedicated WiFi button is very cool.

*Sprint Touch with 128mb of ram has ~73mb of free ram after boot. Correct?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 06/03/2008 at 05:52 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Something's lacking...

It's not in the class of the blackberry in terms of a business phone from these pictures.

If it were categorized along the Centro and the 755p, i'd say they will sell. But they will not sell too much if it were going to be "business" class.

I guess it's the best Palm can do given their limited resources. The market however will not see it like that.
    I agree with bulls96. Palm is competing again themselves instead of the other companies. They are going to implode! At lease put a neon light when it rings.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Something's lacking...

It's not in the class of the blackberry in terms of a business phone from these pictures.

If it were categorized along the Centro and the 755p, i'd say they will sell. But they will not sell too much if it were going to be "business" class.

I guess it's the best Palm can do given their limited resources. The market however will not see it like that.

Is that a white version of the 800 in your picture? where did you get it?
    Something's lacking...

I agree with bull96...but the image looks better than i thought it would. it does seem thinner.

thanks for the info. good stuff. not your fault the device itself is sorta behind the times.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Something's lacking...

I think it's better off for Palm to target small business or prosumer instead of big corporations. Competition is fierce and Blackberry already have the upper hand in the enterprise mobile email solution while iPhone is dominating the consumer market. The only thing Palm can do it to sit between them.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think it's better off for Palm to target small business or prosumer instead of big corporations.
    But where's the price differentation to allow them to do that? Why would a non-palm user want to buy such an ugly phone? (and it's the play and feel in the shop that sells handsets).
    I think it looks great. I will be one of the first in line to buy one when it arrives. I tried to leave the 700wx for a centro, but I couldn't handle the PalmOS. This looks like a cross between the two, and I look forward to having WiFi again.

Just release the darn thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    I think it's better off for Palm to target small business or prosumer instead of big corporations. Competition is fierce and Blackberry already have the upper hand in the enterprise mobile email solution while iPhone is dominating the consumer market. The only thing Palm can do it to sit between them.
    I think they are targetting anyone who will buy it at this point

Hey Malatesta --do we know about how the GPS is? like what kind of chip is it...is it a-gps qualcomm chip, sirf etc?
    Being the 6800 chipset we know the GPS is going to be a option built into the radio. That also means DRIVERS could be an issue. To date HTC for instance has not had a good track record with releasing cdma devices with gps working at the time of release. It's certainly there, but whether or not it functions is an unknown despite what people might say and/or want.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    This is a very, very odd statement, no offense.

The whole core reason for Windows Mobile is for Enterprise. That is MS's main focus. RIM is their main competitor. This is no secret: WM6 was called Crossbow as a joke as they were "taking aim at RIM". WM 6.1 is overwhelmingly about enhancing Exchange for Enterprise.

MS is only now starting to do stuff for consumer devices (Danger acquisition; Live services, etc.) mostly for WM7. Up till now, they've left that stuff up to the OEMs like HTC.

The Palm Treo is perhaps the quintessential WM business device (if not, what else is there for WM...especially on Sprint? Q9c is not bad, Mogul is mostly IT, Touch for consumers)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    I think they are targetting anyone who will buy it at this point

Hey Malatesta --do we know about how the GPS is? like what kind of chip is it...is it a-gps qualcomm chip, sirf etc?
    Nothing strongly confirmed--stay tuned.

All I've heard is that is will not be dependent on the network i.e. aGPS w/ assistance servers, but instead will be standalone aGPS (just like the Mogul, Q9c, Touch, etc.). Need more confirmation.

The MSM-6800 is also an interesting chipset and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $does$ $not$ $have$ $the$ $bad$ $reputation$ $that$ $the$ $MSM$-$7500$ $has$ ($GPS$ $is$ $still$ $wonky$, $ARM11$ $processor$ $is$ $underperforming$). $I$'$m$ $interested$ $in$ $seeing$ $how$ $it$ $performs$ $overall$.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yaaawn...

When I saw pics of the BB Bold, I actually had an emotional response. But I cant live with a BB.

I jumped ship to AT&T and I hope the GSM version is a little more 2009. I will only get a candybar form factor WM smartphone with a full qwerty, with Palm ease of of use, so I will get one anyway. But these pics look so ho-hum. The side shot does look better.

They'll get my money anyway. Much like the American auto industry, they just seem to keep up nowadays, not innovate. I will keep buying American trucks 'cause I need them, but I wish they would blow everyone away...
    Something's lacking...

I'm a business user and would definitely get this Palm Treo over any blackberry. Superior OS (IMO), superior screen res, better 3rd party software options. What makes Blackberry better?
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisholland View Post
    Yaaawn...

When I saw pics of the BB Bold, I actually had an emotional response. But I cant live with a BB.

I jumped ship to AT&T and I hope the GSM version is a little more 2009. I will only get a candybar form factor WM smartphone with a full qwerty, with Palm ease of of use, so I will get one anyway. But these pics look so ho-hum. The side shot does look better.

They'll get my money anyway. Much like the American auto industry, they just seem to keep up nowadays, not innovate. I will keep buying American trucks 'cause I need them, but I wish they would blow everyone away...
    I agree, the Bold is a sexy, stunning device.
    Who knows maybe palm will offer this for a little over $100 and have another hit

The Bold i read was gonna go for $300 in AT&T. If they intend to compete they have to sell this thing for less than that.

But we will never know really. Maybe the 800w will look very much different that these pictures coming out

@CGK - its a white Centro on a Foleo
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Wow, I am impressed! I have been holding out for the next gen, glad I did.

Also wondering what makes BB better? To me BBs are trash.
    Interesting! Im wondering what makes treos better. To me, treos are trash.
    Do we know if there is still a dedicated "mute" button like on the top of the 700wx?
    Last edited by RichTJ99; 05/16/2008 at 11:05 PM.
    I'm not really impressed with it, plus why is there a calendar + mail button like a PALM OS phone?

I like the size, but as far as design, I think it's kinda of weak. I think my 700wx has it beat in looks. And the colors... all bad.

I don't see a wow factor in terms of looks.. but that's me.
    I had to ditch my 700wx for a Blackberry...
    All I can say is I am totally and completely underwhelmed. What a let down. When I saw the mockups in the Gates Keynote I just hoped that was a pre-Centro type situation but I guess Palm is going to continue to punt and just try not to lose. And the feature set that looked so appealing 8 months ago is basically standard now. After screwing me with the 700w I can't believe I even thought of giving Palm a second chance but these pics just made an easy decision even easier.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast