Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by mabmarc View Post
    I spoke to the Palm rep at Tech Ed about the 800w. He wouldn't acknowledge that it existed at first. Then he finally did. So I asked if he had one and he did but didn't have one at the event. When I asked him why the design was so antiquated, he stated that there have been delays after delays in getting this device out the door. He wouldn't elaborate on what they were but did say it was supposed to be an upgrade to the 700wx that should have been released last year.

I asked him how the battery life on the 800w was and he said it wasn't too bad. I mentioned I am a little concerned about the Centro battery running such a powerful device when I am using a Q9c with 2100ma battery. Then he mentioned that a new device was coming soon that was much nicer looking but more of a consumer device but with an 1800ma batter. So I asked if it was the Treo 850 and he admitted that it was. He said the 2 devices were on different development cycles and that the 850 was very nice. I asked if he tried one and he had. Then surprisingly he reached into his bag and pulled a Treo 850 out. He didn't let me hold it but it looks like a sweet device. He believes it will be coming out on CDMA later this year, prob 4th quarter. I am not sure if I believe him though. He put it away very quickly and was very discreet about pulling it out. He also said the 850w is the same dimensions as an apple iphone.

I never thought I would see one at Tech Ed. I didn't think I would see a Touch Diamond either but they have one on display and a Rep had one in his pocket. One other device they have is a Velocity 111 which is not labeled properly. According to specs it has a 480 x 640 res screen on a front facing qwerty device. Their website says it is a 320 x 240 screen. It has the spec sheet from the Velocity 103.

Also the Bold is rumored to be around at Tech Ed in a REPS pocket.
    Thx for the info.

Surur
    I always felt a little burned about paying full price for the same phone (it was my choice). I could NOT live with the memory issues on the 700w. The WX was much better but it was the most expensive memory upgrade I ever did (700 bucks for 32 megs of ram).
    I spoke to the Palm rep at Tech Ed about the 800w. He wouldn't acknowledge that it existed at first. Then he finally did. So I asked if he had one and he did but didn't have one at the event. When I asked him why the design was so antiquated, he stated that there have been delays after delays in getting this device out the door. He wouldn't elaborate on what they were but did say it was supposed to be an upgrade to the 700wx that should have been released last year.

I asked him how the battery life on the 800w was and he said it wasn't too bad. I mentioned I am a little concerned about the Centro battery running such a powerful device when I am using a Q9c with 2100ma battery. Then he mentioned that a new device was coming soon that was much nicer looking but more of a consumer device but with an 1800ma batter. So I asked if it was the Treo 850 and he admitted that it was. He said the 2 devices were on different development cycles and that the 850 was very nice. I asked if he tried one and he had. Then surprisingly he reached into his bag and pulled a Treo 850 out. He didn't let me hold it but it looks like a sweet device. He believes it will be coming out on CDMA later this year, prob 4th quarter. I am not sure if I believe him though. He put it away very quickly and was very discreet about pulling it out. He also said the 850w is the same dimensions as an apple iphone.

I never thought I would see one at Tech Ed. I didn't think I would see a Touch Diamond either but they have one on display and a Rep had one in his pocket. One other device they have is a Velocity 111 which is not labeled properly. According to specs it has a 480 x 640 res screen on a front facing qwerty device. Their website says it is a 320 x 240 screen. It has the spec sheet from the Velocity 103.

Also the Bold is rumored to be around at Tech Ed in a REPS pocket.
    That IS very interesting, I will be keeping my eyes open for this. Did he mention anything about the differences from the 800 to the 850 (anything to make one the device of choice over the other)?

Thanks!!!

Then he mentioned that a new device was coming soon that was much nicer looking but more of a consumer device but with an 1800ma batter. So I asked if it was the Treo 850 and he admitted that it was. He said the 2 devices were on different development cycles and that the 850 was very nice. I asked if he tried one and he had. Then surprisingly he reached into his bag and pulled a Treo 850 out. He didn't let me hold it but it looks like a sweet device. He believes it will be coming out on CDMA later this year, prob 4th quarter.
    Sounds like BS to me. I'd buy that he had a beta 850, but I think the 850 on CDMA later this year is unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    I always felt a little burned about paying full price for the same phone (it was my choice). I could NOT live with the memory issues on the 700w. The WX was much better but it was the most expensive memory upgrade I ever did (700 bucks for 32 megs of ram).

lol, that is terrible!
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgal View Post
    Processor technology
    TI processor, 333MHz
    Based on this, I would guess Palm went with the following processor TI's OMAP2420 ....anyone knows if this is true? (It integrates the ARM1136 processor which is in line with Malatesta's post.)

To give me an idea of how good this is in the real world, the link below list phones that uses TI's 2420 processor too. Some have the same rom/ram which should give us a good idea how snappy it is. Note though, the 800 will be running the professional version and has a larger resolution screen.

http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=pda...ed=1&cpu=a2420
    Last edited by opacityzero; 06/15/2008 at 08:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    Based on this, I would guess Palm went with the following processor TI's OMAP2420 ....anyone knows if this is true? (It integrates the ARM1136 processor which is in line with Malatesta's post.)

To give me an idea of how good this is in the real world, the link below list phones that uses TI's 2420 processor too. Some have the same rom/ram which should give us a good idea how snappy it is. Note though, the 800 will be running the professional version and has a larger resolution screen.

http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=pda...ed=1&cpu=a2420
    It is almost impossible to say- all we have heard is that the 800 is "snappy".

Take the 700wx, it has what a 312mhz processor (?) but is far more responsive and quick than many devices that run 400mhz+ chips.

The biggest virtue of the Treo "W" line is that Palm actually goes into the OS code and makes efficiency tweaks and adjustments. As far as I know no other company has permission to do this. So when you get a treo you are getting a tweaked or even hot-rodded version of the WM OS.

Everyone else is just plain stock.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    It is almost impossible to say- all we have heard is that the 800 is "snappy".

Take the 700wx, it has what a 312mhz processor (?) but is far more responsive and quick than many devices that run 400mhz+ chips.

The biggest virtue of the Treo "W" line is that Palm actually goes into the OS code and makes efficiency tweaks and adjustments. As far as I know no other company has permission to do this. So when you get a treo you are getting a tweaked or even hot-rodded version of the WM OS.

Everyone else is just plain stock.

-Rob
    Nah, other companies do it all the time (Look at HTC's stuff), it's just that when Palm does it, they do it better, IMHO.
    HTC, from what I understand just writes apps that overlay the OS, they are not actually tweaking code.

Maybe I am wrong though...
  10.    #90  
    HTC, from what I understand just writes apps that overlay the OS, they are not actually tweaking code.

Maybe I am wrong though...
    No, you're right.

HTC, Samsung, Sony, etc. all do what I call the top-down approach: throw WM6x on the device and then their pretty UI on top. Either way you cut it, you are running extra software on top of the OS which will slow it down (and early reports for HTC Diamond and TF3d suggest this is true even for that device, with the UI being sluggish).

Palm, otoh, takes a bottom-up approach: keep the current UI, don't add any huge programs to run on top of the OS but do re-work the OS code to make it more efficient. That's why the 800w's memory stats are coming in the way they are since Palm cut a lot of MS overhead form the OS. The result is not only more usable RAM/ROM for the customer but a much faster device requiring a less powerful processor, which then equals better battery life.

Of course, the real solution to all of this is for either WM7 to finally negate the need for all of this trickery or for Palm and HTC to combine forces to really make a slamming WM device. Right now, each company is just filling a void while leaving another open.

Then again, at least with Palm we can take everyone else's UI tweaks and just install it on our devices and get the best of both worlds

When the 800w comes out I'll probably do a detailed articles on top-down vs bottom-up tweaking going into more detail.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I wonder what the retail price will be for the phone without contract and with contract.
    $250 with, probably $500+ without.

-Rob

-Rob
    Not too bad really, I can deal with $250!!

-Rob
    I'm hoping for a $199 price with. I doubt it'll happen (especially right out the door), but it'd be nice.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Considering Centro is $269 for 2 yr on VZW (then you can minus $70 MIR, and $50 for ADC if current client), not sure about this kind of price for 800.

However, my hope is that with new iphone launching at 199 around the same time, centro price might come down, and we see 800 for centro pricing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I'm hoping for a $199 price with. I doubt it'll happen (especially right out the door), but it'd be nice.
    I think that Malatesta confirmed $250 with subsidy through Sprint.

However, the ebay guys will certainly be giving them away for free with new service contracts (non sero).

-Rob
    With the iPhone coming out at $199 and the Centro basically being given away, I think the days of paying more than $250 subsidized are pretty much over. At least, I know I want pay it.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345