Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    A lot of the devices success as a high end business tool is going to come down to how well palm was able to customize/optimize the OS. If they do a great job (which I anticipate) the device will be in a league of its own. If not (which would be inexcusible after 2 years) it could be a run of the mill device.

However, the other thing to keep in mind is that there are well over 100 million CDMA users in the US. Nokia/Sony do not play in CDMA for all intents and purposes, Motorola's Q offerings all have fatal flaws, Blackberries require extremely expensive add on plans, and HTC has yet to make a device that had more practicality than glitz.

There is a niche for palm and they are catering to it, but I agree that adding a touch more sexy to their devices (850?) would open up new markets for them which they sorely need.
    Guess you're right. There's not much else out there. Just another example of how us CDMA folk don't get the dirty sexy money phones. Although, that Raffael looks nice. And, RIM is clearly trying to eat Palm's lunch with the Bold.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post
    A lot of the devices success as a high end business tool is going to come down to how well palm was able to customize/optimize the OS. If they do a great job (which I anticipate) the device will be in a league of its own. If not (which would be inexcusible after 2 years) it could be a run of the mill device.

However, the other thing to keep in mind is that there are well over 100 million CDMA users in the US. Nokia/Sony do not play in CDMA for all intents and purposes, Motorola's Q offerings all have fatal flaws, Blackberries require extremely expensive add on plans, and HTC has yet to make a device that had more practicality than glitz.

There is a niche for palm and they are catering to it, but I agree that adding a touch more sexy to their devices (850?) would open up new markets for them which they sorely need.
    I like this post. people with tow or three treos on a decent discounted sprint plan are not going to get a blackberry or other devices requiring rather stiff increases in monthly fees.

I am a function person. I'd rather know the device's features, build quality, support, are robust.

But I agree Palm is CUTTING their own throat with the moribund design. They will loose buyers as a result. Why wasn't some basic nod to design trends not made? Giving the device a somewhat more sleek and current design has a function -- in increases sellability and therefore user base. Every buyer cares about design when it comes to personal electronics.

Secondly I can't understand why the screen quality wasn't moved up. We are not just talking about how one's family pictures look. When it comes to applications and browsing this is a functional issue.
    thought you guys should have this

Radio
    CDMA 800 (Digital Cellular), 1900 (PCS), and 1.5GHz (GPS)
    EVDO and 1XRTT
    Phone Features
    Personal speakerphone
    MicroUSB standard B connector (2.0-compliant; for sync cable, charger, and audio accessories)
    External antenna port
    Microphone mute option
    3-way calling
    HAC compatible (M4/T4 rating)
    Processor technology
    TI processor, 333MHz
    Expansion
    microSD/SDHC card slot
    Battery
    Rechargeable lithium-ion
    Removable for replacement
    3 hours to be fully charged
    Operating system
    Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
    Camera
    Still image capture resolution: 1600 x 1200, 2.0 megapixel
    Automatic light balance
    Size
    4.41 in. x 2.28 in. x 0.73 in. (112mm x 58mm x 18.5mm)
    Weight
    4.94 ounces (140 grams)
    Operating and storage temperture range
    32°F to 113°F (0°C to 45°C)
    5% to 90% RH
    Connectivity
    Wi-Fi (802.11b/g and 802.11i-compliant)
    Infrared (1.2-compliant)
    Bluetooth® wireless technology (Complies with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    specification. Supports GAP, GOEP [OBEX], SPP, SDAP, OPP, HSP,
    HFP 1.5, A2DP, AVRCP, PAN, PBAP, ActiveSync, and BPP.)
    Display
    320 x 320 pixel touch-sensitive LCD screen (includes stylus)
    65,536 colors (16-bit color)
    User-adjustable brightness
    Keyboard
    Built-in QWERTY keyboard plus 5-way navigator
    Backlight for low lighting conditions
    Included software
    Today/Phone (includes Speed Dial and Dial Pad)
    Messaging (text and email)
    Internet Explorer Mobile (Web browser)
    Maps
    Camera
    Pictures & Videos
    Windows Media Player Mobile
    File Explorer
    Contacts
    Calendar
    Tasks
    Notes
    Calculator
    ActiveSync
    Microsoft Direct Push technology
    Windows Live
    Excel Mobile
    Word Mobile
    PowerPoint Mobile
    OneNote Mobile
    Handmark Pocket Express
    Solitaire
    Bubble Breaker
    Sudoku
    Aces Texas Hold’em Limit
    Voice Command
    My Treo
    Quick Tour
    Search
    Terminal Services
    Picsel PDF Viewer
    Sprite Backup
    Bejeweled 2 (on CD)
    WorldMate (on CD)

Article Information

Product
    Treo 800w
    Operating System
    Windows Mobile Professional 6.1
    Carrier
    Sprint

Software
    Thank you both. You made my day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    isnt the processor speed slower than e thought???
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    No Rev. A?
  7.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    No Rev. A?
    Oh it'll be RevA, it's just a matter of if it'll have it on launch or via update. But the chipset supports it and Sprint's roadmaps (both) showed the device as RevA.

This spec sheet was just sticking to the generic technology for the phone radios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    isnt the processor speed slower than e thought???
    It is an odd thing, that TI processor.

As far is it slower than thought? Not really. Palm got away with a 312mhz on the 700wx and that performed just as well as the 416mhz processors on other devices.

Either way I hear the device is quite nimble and quick, so the actual spec here is less important than say...real world performance. If anything, it just means better battery life.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    It would be absolutely unacceptable to release a device right now that isn't Rev. A right out of the box, especially when you consider how long it typically takes for ROM updates to get released.
  9.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    It would be absolutely unacceptable to release a device right now that isn't Rev. A right out of the box, especially when you consider how long it typically takes for ROM updates to get released.
    I have high confidence it will be there on launch, I'm just hedging my bets since the one single DSL report we had was below RevA speeds.

But I also know there have been updates to the device since then or there could just not have been a RevA tower at the time of the test.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    What's the battery life like? The Ipohone specs are great but no OLED screen and a few other things i wanted this go round. i,m sorta of torn between it and the 800. And they come out within a few weeks max so its a real toss up.

Also, does anyone know how to get on a SERO plan if you are off-contract on Sprint. Do you have to go through retentions and ask them to or is there another way?
    This phone sounds great. When is the release date again ? Around July 14th or there abouts ? I will definitely have to look into 1 of these since it has WiFi and BT2 and more memory
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I have high confidence it will be there on launch, I'm just hedging my bets since the one single DSL report we had was below RevA speeds.

But I also know there have been updates to the device since then or there could just not have been a RevA tower at the time of the test.
    I hope you're right. I'm strongly considering this device despite the fact that HTC has some attractive options coming down the pipe in the near future. I've already had the Mogul and currently have a Touch but I really miss the Treo's QWERTY. I just hope the trade-off in screen size and resolution is worth it.
    Already posted this in the news article, but to repeat here, where more discussion is going on:

333mHz? Seriously? I'm sure being a newer processor it'll be slightly more efficient, but it'd have been nice for Palm to step a little further forward.

For those who say this'll adversely affect battery life... As far as I know (at least on my q9c) WM can throttle processor speed based on load. If it ran at much lower speeds most of the time, that's fine, but a 624 mHz processor would definitely be nice for rendering webpages (see the iPhone for an example of that.... as Jobs said, the iPhone renders pages 33% faster, and at least according to Engadget, the actual 3G speeds were lower than EVDO when they tested.)
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    IMO 333mhz is TOTALLY fine for a SSS (small square screen). Anything more would be essentially wasted due to the lack of pixels needing to be pushed. Now, if Palm had a 320x480 or better device when I could definitely jump on the 400mhz+ CPU trend.

There's more to rendering than just raw CPU speed. For example, I really think the Centro could manage nicely with a SLOWER CPU given its otherwise low-end specs & OS.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    nice... 2.1mp camera and all that... now if only sprint could natively send picture mail.
    Last edited by SirWise23; 06/12/2008 at 02:17 AM.
    Can anyone confirm they can change the ESN with CDMAworkshop (via shadowmite's method)

Also has anyone open the 800w to see if the modem is mini-pcie based like the novatel U720?

Thanks
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I spoke to the Palm rep at Tech Ed about the 800w. He wouldn't acknowledge that it existed at first. Then he finally did. So I asked if he had one and he did but didn't have one at the event. When I asked him why the design was so antiquated, he stated that there have been delays after delays in getting this device out the door. He wouldn't elaborate on what they were but did say it was supposed to be an upgrade to the 700wx that should have been released last year.

I asked him how the battery life on the 800w was and he said it wasn't too bad. I mentioned I am a little concerned about the Centro battery running such a powerful device when I am using a Q9c with 2100ma battery. Then he mentioned that a new device was coming soon that was much nicer looking but more of a consumer device but with an 1800ma batter. So I asked if it was the Treo 850 and he admitted that it was. He said the 2 devices were on different development cycles and that the 850 was very nice. I asked if he tried one and he had. Then surprisingly he reached into his bag and pulled a Treo 850 out. He didn't let me hold it but it looks like a sweet device. He believes it will be coming out on CDMA later this year, prob 4th quarter. I am not sure if I believe him though. He put it away very quickly and was very discreet about pulling it out. He also said the 850w is the same dimensions as an apple iphone.

I never thought I would see one at Tech Ed. I didn't think I would see a Touch Diamond either but they have one on display and a Rep had one in his pocket. One other device they have is a Velocity 111 which is not labeled properly. According to specs it has a 480 x 640 res screen on a front facing qwerty device. Their website says it is a 320 x 240 screen. It has the spec sheet from the Velocity 103.

Also the Bold is rumored to be around at Tech Ed in a REPS pocket.
    Last edited by mabmarc; 06/12/2008 at 07:05 AM.
    After Mabmarc's comments I am hesitant in the 800w. It would be fitting if Verizon screwed us again (700w & then 700wx - I purchased both).

I could see my buying a 800w & 3 months later the 850 came out. Though its probably not likely that VZW would do that (maybe 12 months later it would).

After paying full retail for my 700wx I am a little afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    After Mabmarc's comments I am hesitant in the 800w. It would be fitting if Verizon screwed us again (700w & then 700wx - I purchased both).

I could see my buying a 800w & 3 months later the 850 came out. Though its probably not likely that VZW would do that (maybe 12 months later it would).

After paying full retail for my 700wx I am a little afraid.
    While the 800 and 850 being on different development cycles seems plausible, I highly doubt that the carriers would go for replacing a device 3 months down the road.

Most carriers seem to like to ~2 year cycle as that keeps you in a contract with them.

Besides, from what we've heard/seen the 800 is CDMA and the 850 is GSM. While crossing a device over from one to the other is certainly possible, it'd require a lot of changes that would cost a lot of money for very little (if any) gain.

The 700wx was the exact same device, but with a larger memory chip. The 800 and 850 seem to be two completely different devices. Even the naming convention suggests as much (think 700 and 750).
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast