Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Agree with all above --kinda underwhelming.

My bet is 3-6 months down the line they come out with some more competitive specs. hopefully a VGA screen and they find some way to juice up the form factor and maybe a larger screen. a lot more people are using the devices now to browse the internet so a device to hit that segment would help palm.

Altho i do think its very possible palm will get bought by huwei or some company from china looking to acquire cheap us assets.
    I don't understand the blah response to the 800w specs.

I've read the responses and reasons but still.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    well they are comparing it to HTC, Iphone and Rimm Bold. all released on or before Treo.

Hey I gotta question. Anyone have idea on battery life---my bet is that could be a big differentiator. if Palm can get some huge #s there that could help a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    well they are comparing it to HTC, Iphone and Rimm Bold. all released on or before Treo.

Hey I gotta question. Anyone have idea on battery life---my bet is that could be a big differentiator. if Palm can get some huge #s there that could help a lot.
    I just looked up the Bold.

Is it the Treo thickness that's bothering folks?
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I just looked up the Bold.

Is it the Treo thickness that's bothering folks?
    It's the form factor, thickness, power, screen size, resolution --all of it.
    Heck, if it's thick enough to hold in my hand and grasp it, I know I won't lose my Treo! No worries there! I say the same thing about SD cards (just right size) to Micro SD cards (too small).
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    The most important feature of the 800w has yet to be determined....

Will Hannip buy one (thats kind of important to me since he figured out the stylus free folder switch solution).
    lol.

Let me clear that up right now. Yes I will be getting the 800w and plan to tweak it just like my 700wx where it needs tweaking.

Funny thing is that my 700wx is still as good as new without so much as a scratch and still does what I need it to do. Now Ebag333 has come out with a rom cooker to make it even better. (grats Ebag)

However the 700wx doesn't have built in wifi or gps and that's what I'm looking forward to having with the 800wx.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    It's the form factor, thickness, power, screen size, resolution --all of it.
    <chuckle>
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Heck, if it's thick enough to hold in my hand and grasp it, I know I won't lose my Treo! No worries there! I say the same thing about SD cards (just right size) to Micro SD cards (too small).
    Agreed.

I remember asking (maybe last year?) other Treo users why they were so bothered by the Treo's more or less retaining the same look over the years. Some users admitted that it wasn't better a practical consideration. Functionality, grip, weight, etc. weren't really the reasons they were so displeased with Palm. It was the "hot" factor, which the iPhone and other phones have so much of.

They're really pretty or cool-looking. Holding them in your hands makes YOU look cool.

I can't say I'm unmoved by such things. I want my device to look cool, too, but I think the Treo's design elements (as of the 755p, anyway) are so well-done that there wasn't a need to do MUCH more to the aesthetics. I'd say what they've done to the Centro and 800w are steps backward, as far as sexiness/hotness are concerned.

Going "bold" wouldn't bother me, but I like the battery power, removable/extended battery, keyboard, and card slot on my 755p. Like Kev said about the micro sd's, sometimes, going smaller isn't a good thing (for me, anyway).

I'll still drool over the hot, new devices, but I don't want change for the sake of change. Internal, REAL gps? Hells yeah. Wifi? Why not.

These are the things that add the most value and I'd even buy a phone that looked like the Centro to get them (although I'd rather not).

Hm. That was longer than intended. Sorry.
    Mal, what's the word on battery size?

I have a feeling we're looking at the 1100 mah range for the 800.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    Mal, what's the word on battery size?

I have a feeling we're looking at the 1100 mah range for the 800.
    1150mah

In fact, it's the exact same battery as the Centro, lol.

In even more fact (can I say that?), new Centro's are shipping with a battery that says "STD battery for 690/800w".

Battery life varied, depending on the builds of the OS/firmware, but the general trend was an increase in battery life. Reportedly WM 6.1 allows OEMs to tweak a lot of the OS for battery management and Palm was playing around with that.

Too early to tell though how the device in finalized form will behave.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    1150mah

In fact, it's the exact same battery as the Centro, lol.

In even more fact (can I say that?), new Centro's are shipping with a battery that says "STD battery for 690/800w".

Battery life varied, depending on the builds of the OS/firmware, but the general trend was an increase in battery life. Reportedly WM 6.1 allows OEMs to tweak a lot of the OS for battery management and Palm was playing around with that.

Too early to tell though how the device in finalized form will behave.
    Bet they release a "high capacity" battery fairly quickly.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yea I had heard something like that but I honestly refused to believe it lol. I know Palm will have their tweaks & WM 6.1 has improved battery performance, but 1150 mah is still 1150 mah and that just seems like nonsense for them to put such a small battery in an enterprise device.

I seriously hate using extended batteries with their gigantic humps, but like you said we'll see how good the final device is when it's released.
  14.    #54  
    I seriously hate using extended batteries with their gigantic humps...
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Bet they release a "high capacity" battery fairly quickly.
    Oh don't worry, there won't be any extended batteries unless Palm makes 'em. They made the battery proprietary somehow so there can't be 3rd party options, which is why Seidio doesn't have any of the "same size but larger" batteries for the Centro

Damnittt... I was wondering why Seidio hadn't made any extended batteries for the Centro. I swear Mal, first the battery size & now this proprietary nonsense, you just keep bringing the good news! Lol j/k bro!

Do you know if the battery life has been atleast decent from the beta tester units?
  16.    #56  
    Damnittt... I was wondering why Seidio hadn't made any extended batteries for the Centro. I swear Mal, first the battery size & now this proprietary nonsense, you just keep bringing the good news! Lol j/k bro!

Do you know if the battery life has been at least decent from the beta tester units?
    Since I wasn't in the beta, hard to say. Part of the beta was to test and improve on that, so I think it's safe to say that they improved from what they started with. Will it be enough? Dunno.

I think it's becoming clear though that no matter what, all else being equal, a WM enterprise device will never match in battery power to a BlackBerry, which is a shame. I'm not sure why that is, but it just seems to be the case. At least WM 6.1 is more efficient for push email and overall battery usage, but it remains to be seen IRL.

So how do you get all the juicy info, Mal? I come here daily, specifically looking for your posts. Keep up the good work!
    This thing is ugly. Blackberry, HTC, Motorola, Sony, Nokia and others have all released (or will soon release) sleek, modern attractive devices that do just as much if not more than the Treo. What in the world was Palm thinking?

Looks like I'll be sticking with Windows Mobile Standard cause that new Palm is soooo 2002.
    I'll reserve judgment until I see the final version and actually hold it.

Based on the specs and pics, this phone has all the features I'm looking for except one: pocketability. It's not important to many, but it is to me since I refuse to holsterize or carry two phones. The only CDMA phone I've seen with as many features is the Mogul which has even less pocketability.

Palm obviously has the ability to debricktify the Treo as they've shown with the 850.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Sunshine View Post
    This thing is ugly. Blackberry, HTC, Motorola, Sony, Nokia and others have all released (or will soon release) sleek, modern attractive devices that do just as much if not more than the Treo. What in the world was Palm thinking?

Looks like I'll be sticking with Windows Mobile Standard cause that new Palm is soooo 2002.
    A lot of the devices success as a high end business tool is going to come down to how well palm was able to customize/optimize the OS. If they do a great job (which I anticipate) the device will be in a league of its own. If not (which would be inexcusible after 2 years) it could be a run of the mill device.

However, the other thing to keep in mind is that there are well over 100 million CDMA users in the US. Nokia/Sony do not play in CDMA for all intents and purposes, Motorola's Q offerings all have fatal flaws, Blackberries require extremely expensive add on plans, and HTC has yet to make a device that had more practicality than glitz.

There is a niche for palm and they are catering to it, but I agree that adding a touch more sexy to their devices (850?) would open up new markets for them which they sorely need.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast