Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I truly dig, dig, dig the specs, but I agree that it's not a very attractive device - kinda like the Centro.

My 755p is prettier. A little silver lining around the screen would help balance it out a bit, imo.

I'm very interested, but I'm probably more likely to hold out for the Nova OS, assuming it'll be Palm OS-like.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Do we know if there is still a dedicated "mute" button like on the top of the 700wx?
    Yes, ringer switch is there and to the side of it (on top) is the dedicated Wifi button.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStatus View Post
    I'm not really impressed with it, plus why is there a calendar + mail button like a PALM OS phone?
    Well, business users probably use these devices for...
    1. Phone
    2. Email
    3. Calendar

...and considering WM is built around Activsync/Exchange, it makes sense to have a dedicated email button.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 05/17/2008 at 01:15 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well... this all reminds me of the PRE-Centro hype and it is now one of the fastest selling devices in Palm History... so, take that all for what it is worth.

My thoughts... I am getting it. I've held the Centro, and while I know it would take some getting used to over my WX, I am fully prepared to do that for the stats. It really ISN'T underwhelming stats when you compare it to other CDMA WM devices. It's actually setting the bar (which will get pushed over when the NEXT device comes out) IMO. It will be faster, have more RAM / ROM, 5 different radios (Cellular, EVDO, GPS, WiFi, BT), and all of the PALM goodies integrated we've all come to know and love. I think people are so worked up over the hype this phone is supposed to be and letting their feelings for PALM really get the better of them. Sure Palm has really messed things up before... probably still will. But, damned if I am wrong, I feel they really got somethings right, like my WX (did I have to tweak it, yeah, Threaded Text really rubbed me the wrong way, but almost 1.5 years later I am still using threaded texting, thanks hannip).
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Well... this all reminds me of the PRE-Centro hype and it is now one of the fastest selling devices in Palm History... so, take that all for what it is worth.
    My thoughts exactly.

I was "eh" on the Centro till I held one in the store. Immediately bought one and have been using on/off since October--great smartphone.

Who knows if the 800w will be as successful, but at least Palm is publicly beta testing it, soliciting feedback and giving it a serious try to nail this device--lets at least give them the satisfaction of reviewing the final version.

but alas...I know this will fall on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, business users probably use these devices for...
    1. Phone
    2. Email
    3. Calendar

...and considering WM is built around Activsync/Exchange, it makes sense to have a dedicated email button.
    Right... Matter of fact, I'd put my use as:

1. email (IMAP)
    2. calendar
    3. phone...

In that order.

Fewer clicks now, but I'm not sure those dedicated buttons were necessary. I'll appreciate them though....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001

My thoughts... I am getting it.
    I want to get it for wm 6.1...

I'm praying palm does not screw this up.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This phone is going to retail for $99 (with carrier subsidy) and reduce profitability?
    Last edited by CGK; 05/17/2008 at 08:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    From various sources

• MSM-6800 chipset (reported here earlier)
    • 101.53mb of free RAM (after OS)
    • WM 6.1 (5.2.1944)
    • ARM1136 processor
    • WiFi confirmed
    • Rubberized feel to final device (new)
    • Dedicated Wifi button on top (new)
    • Micro-USB connector

Plus the usual:
    • 320x320
    • RevA (on release?)
    • GPS (dedicated)
    • Threaded SMS

If true, that available 101.53mb of free ram (after OS it sounds) is pretty huge* and I think hints at some serious OS optimizations (yes, that is speculation on my part).

Rubberized paint is very welcomed for final version and the dedicated WiFi button is very cool.

*Sprint Touch with 128mb of ram has ~73mb of free ram after boot. Correct?
    where is the wifi button? any pictures of it? how do we know its confirmed again?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    where is the wifi button? any pictures of it? how do we know its confirmed again?
    It's on top, near the Ringer switch. No pictures that I know about.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    BTW, when new info gets on the 'net or found elsewhere I'll obviously update the 1st post, so check back their for changes.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 05/17/2008 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This phone is going to retail for $99 (with carrier subsidy) and reduce profitability?
    You misinterpreted my Centro comparison. The comparison was that everyone called that device ugly as can and be and no one would purchase it for that reason. I do understand that it is marketed at a right price, but it doesn't change the fact that if it were THAT ugly, you couldn't give it away for free. I mean I think it's sold a million phones already? Not sure of the right number... but I do know it's the quickest selling phone in Palm history. You can't do that with an ugly phone. Especially an UGLY smartphone...

I am not so sure it's Palm that is losing money either (carriers are eating those costs, but getting new subs too, trade off for churn rates); sure it's a cheaper phone so it is reduced profits, but profits are profits.
    The most important feature of the 800w has yet to be determined....

Will Hannip buy one (thats kind of important to me since he figured out the stylus free folder switch solution).
    I'm wondering what the T800w wireless synch features will be like. I just got a new Dell laptop with both Bluetooth and the latest wireless n Wi-fi card built-in.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    I'm wondering what the T800w wireless synch features will be like. I just got a new Dell laptop with both Bluetooth and the latest wireless n Wi-fi card built-in.
    WM does not sync over WIFI.

Surur
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    The most important feature of the 800w has yet to be determined....

Will Hannip buy one (thats kind of important to me since he figured out the stylus free folder switch solution).
    lol

In fairness, back with WM5 aku 2.2, there were lots of bugs and annoyances, but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $a$ $lot$ $of$ $those$ $are$ $fixed$/$gone$ $with$ $WM$6.x (even more so with 6.1) so I don't think there are a lot of "hacks" needed (If anyone knows of any agreed upon "major yucks" in WM 6.1, feel free to chime in, lol)

I have been using a 700w for two years and I would be happy if the new 800w would actually work with a bluetooth headset! %^*(&$$%!!!!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Hey KevMeister,

I'm in Sunnyvale too. Dying from this heat, though tonight is a lot better.

I would imagine the 800w will sync over bluetooth no problem. I use exchange so I don't really ever connect the phone to the PC anymore, though.

For some reason seeing the 2nd (side) shot of the demo unit, it looks a lot better to me. The first shot makes the phone almost look wider at the top than the bottom, which (despite it being an illusion) makes it look top-heavy and uglier. I also like the silver band.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Interesting! Im wondering what makes treos better. To me, treos are trash.
    To me it's the ease of use, I am using a Motorola Q9c now and I miss the touch screen. The keyboard is fantastic on the Treo and with Win 6.1 the 800W should be a nice device. Of course I want to try the Android, Nova OS and the Diamond from HTC. I have had a slew of devices starting with the Palm Pilots; continuing with the Treo 600; 650; 700p; 755p (graduated to the BB8830 and then on to the Motorola Q9c and soon the 800W. This will be a good phone but not the best that we want and expect from Palm. They have to be worried from the up coming BB Bold, Iphone 2 and the competition from HTC. They need a home run but it will not be with the 800W.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Wow, I am impressed! I have been holding out for the next gen, glad I did.

Also wondering what makes BB better? To me BBs are trash.

Don't get me wrong, I liked my 700p and had 24 apps loaded which is light weight in comaparison to many others on this forum but IMHO BB takes care of the essentials and does it quite well being virtually almost hassle free in the process...my wifes Curve just kicks azz, though she cant geek out on it. Out of my 24 apps on my 700 maybe 3 of them were essential and the rest was bloat. BB is starting to offer 3rd pary applications which is a good start. If your a geek or turd with time on ones hands who likes to tweek your device hacking the registry or add a but load of apps that can possibly be incompatible or cause instablility, the Treo is where its at or any other WM or POS driven device.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    Interesting! Im wondering what makes treos better. To me, treos are trash.

No proprietary data plan that costs $$$
    No underlying carrier infastructure to fail
    No additional server on the corporate LAN
    Much more robust OS
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStatus View Post
    I'm not really impressed with it, plus why is there a calendar + mail button like a PALM OS phone?
    Why? Because IMO this is the exact hardware that we'll see Nova debut on a year from now(ish).

Palm's throwing the extra buttons in there to make things handier for WinMob users now, but PRIMARILY, to facilitate backwards compatibility with Garnet apps in Nova and/or make an easy transition from current POS users to Nova.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast