Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    -----

I've wanted a PDA Cell phone for a long time. I'd appreciate any comments from those of you who own a Treo 700wx, because I want to buy something soon. Thanks so much.
    If you can wait a month or two (or three, depending on what carrier you have) the 800w should be out soon.

That being said I'd personally choose my 700wx over any other device I've tried. You'll find widely varying opinions, however.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Thanks for your input. Do you know if the 800 will be worth the wait, like what's going to be better about it? Thanks

I need to clarify something.... I can't afford the $44 Internet charge each month, but I still want the Treo because of the PDA. So...does anyone else use it mainly for it's PDA?
    Quote Originally Posted by tmember View Post
    Thanks for your input. Do you know if the 800 will be worth the wait, like what's going to be better about it? Thanks

I need to clarify something.... I can't afford the $44 Internet charge each month, but I still want the Treo because of the PDA. So...does anyone else use it mainly for it's PDA?
    Actually, that last comment of yours gives you good reason to wait. The 800 will have wifi, enabling you to utilize the internet in a lot of areas you wouldn't with the WX (no wi-fi). The 800 will also have a slightly larger screen, faster speeds, GPS, and WM6.

I love the WX myself, but I think having at least SOME internet access (without buying s csrd extra that is) is invaluable on a device like this.

P.S. I think it will be worth the wait, I'm due to upgrade now, and I am waiting!!!
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    -----

Does Wi-Fi let you on the net w/o paying for it?

What's WX?

The GPS comes with a monthy charge too doesn't it?

Again, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tmember View Post
    -----

Does Wi-Fi let you on the net w/o paying for it?

What's WX?

The GPS comes with a monthy charge too doesn't it?

Again, thanks
    To answer the original question, I think the 700wx is a great phone. I've used connected and non-connected Pocket PCs for almost 10 years now. The smaller screen took some getting used to, but the keypad is a godsend. However, it is getting a little long in the tooth and if I was in the market right now, I'd definitely wait for the 800w as the other posters have recommended. syrguy summed it up pretty well in his post.

I couldn't imagine using the phone without internet access, though. There are a lot of little, nice features like directly dialing phone numbers from web pages. Google on "Sprint SERO" and find the threads on either slickdeals or fatwallet. $30 per month for 500 min.+unlimited internet+unlimited texting+a whole bunch of other nice features.

To answer the questions above:

Open access wi-fi points do not charge for use. Sometimes you'll find these in local libraries or small coffee shops or hotels. Other wi-fi points charge for use. The best example of these are the access points at Starbucks.

WX is the 700wx.

There is no monthly or other charge for using GPS. The satellites are funded/maintained by the Government and there is not a charge to use the data. You will have to have mapping software to take advantage of it. This is a one-time fee for many mapping programs. Usually about $100, but it varies. There are some free options such as Google Maps and Windows Live Maps that will use GPS data to show your position. Windows Live will even give turn-by-turn driving directions, but it won't do things like give voice directions or give various routing options that are available in the software you have to buy. Sprint and the other carriers do also have navigation services that have a monthly charge.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    You said, the keypad is a godsend and I sooooo agree. I've always had trouble seeing the letters on my Razr because they're silver on silver....stupid. I'm actually willing to put out the money JUST for the keypad.

I think the Verizon man today said they charge monthly for GPS. I have a small Garmin in my car so I don't really need it.

Sprint....I can't change my service provider (Verizon) because I'm on a group plan of sorts. But I appreciate the suggestion. Makes me jealous.

WX....700 wx...of course I didn't recognize the large letters

$30 a month would make the Internet very tempting. $44's too much (Verizon).

About waiting for the 800...I think I saw some posts back in 2006 which said they were waiting for it too. Geez...this could be a long wait. But with Verizon I've got 30 days to exchange the phone. I guess I could just keep doing that til it comes out?
    The GPS that VZW offers is their own turn-by-turn direction service, and you wouldn't need that. As MatthewP mentioned, with Windows Live, or GoogleMaps (again....free) you can use your device as a GPS for free, and eventhough you have a Garmin in the car, it can be useful camping, hiking, or if your in your friends car....you get the idea !!!

I can't imagine not having internet on it either, but if you can't afford the package, I would wait for wi-fi, you can find hotspots almost everywhere, and if you wanted to, you can set-up a spot at home!!

As for the wait....I know there have been rumors bantering around for a long time, but I did read somewhere that beta devices are active, and Palm has indicated a relatively short release date, if you can, I would say try to hold out until the end of the year, and if nothing more concrete developes, see what IS out there (or just get the wx LOL)!!!
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Another minor issue to conside is blue tooth (BT). Some people don"t use it so it's no big deal. I myself use it alot for work and to listen to music while being out and about. The 700WX BT leaves alot to be desired. It is very difficult to find a headset that works all the time without it dropping out. On the music end the BT range is terrible compared to new BT 2.0.

I switched to the VX6800 for the reliable BT but the rest of the phone leaves alot to be desired. I will be 1st in line when the 800W comes out. Nothing compares to the Treo form.

I loved my 700WX but the BT is a deal breaker for me.
    I use the WX without the Data plan (internet access) and love it. You can still get a wffi card for those hotspots (public or private) and use active synch while home if you want to to get on line.
    You might as well get a centro
    Treo 800w
    I love my 700wx, it does everything I need it to. I have no need for GPS, I have no need for WiFi in my treo yet.....Keypad is sweet although thte center button sometimes bothers me, I wish it had more texture or was raised a bit more. I use VZW and have no problems with speeds or web browsing. But if you can, I would also advise you to hold out for the 800. I have no issues with my BT connecting to my phone. I can clearly hear the cller and the caller can clearly hear me 99% of the time. It has never dropped a call on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    Another minor issue to conside is blue tooth (BT). Some people don"t use it so it's no big deal. I myself use it alot for work and to listen to music while being out and about. The 700WX BT leaves alot to be desired. It is very difficult to find a headset that works all the time without it dropping out. On the music end the BT range is terrible compared to new BT 2.0.

I switched to the VX6800 for the reliable BT but the rest of the phone leaves alot to be desired. I will be 1st in line when the 800W comes out. Nothing compares to the Treo form.

BT is the deal breaker for me on the 800.

I won't put what I consider to be a ridiculously large thing on my ear just for hands free. Personally, I think BT earpieces look ridiculous. I like a small discrete corded earpiece. I also don't like the idea of having to worry about another battery or charging cable. I think it's really lame they got rid of the jack on the 800.

I don't need wifi, gps or wm6 (although I'd like html email which wm6 has)
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    I like a small discrete corded earpiece. I also don't like the idea of having to worry about another battery or charging cable. I think it's really lame they got rid of the jack on the 800.
    They should have a mini-USB to jack converter, same as the Mogul and other devices.

Bit bulkier than straight jack, but not by much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post

I too love the 700WX, been looking at some BB stuff, but they too seem to have some bluetooth issues. The other issue is that WM6 and my companies exchange server, tie together and are supported, so RIM becomes an issue as well.
    I am waiting for the 800 (verizon) because of the BT issues on the 700wx.
    Like everyone else that replied, I also love my 700wx. However, I would also advise waiting for the 800. I say this for 2 reasons:

1. It will include more features than the 700wx, notably WiFi and GPS.
    2. If you decide you don't like the 800, the 700wx will be cheaper at that time, since both carriers and individuals who have upgraded to the 800 will be trying to get rid of them.

As far as the 700 goes, though...it's a great device. My main uses on it are the phone (obviously), texting, internet, games for when I'm bored, AIM, and Google Maps. It does all of those with no difficulty. The phone is quite responsive...much faster than the other WM phone I had...a 6700. I'm really not sure how I managed without being able to dial somebody's name from the home screen on any other phone. I know it's a little issue, but that would definitely be one of the deal breakers for me if I were considering switching to a non-Treo device. How I lived without threaded SMS is a mystery as well. Plus, even if the phone only displays 1 bar, or even no bars (I guess that's the midpoint between no service and 1 bar), calls are still clear, and internet is still speedy.

It's a shame you can't switch to Sprint. Even if you were to get a regular plan, and not SERO, you'd only pay an extra $15 for internet, rather than $40+ with Verizon.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w