Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...-800w-spotted/

Very business-like. Maybe too business-like?

Surur
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    As a (now) non-palm user for a few years, at a quick glance I don't see what makes it significant more business like than any of the other treos of the last couple of year (which again I've only really glanced at)? - they all look of a muchness to me those days.

When I hold my i780 up against the screen, the treo looks sorta cheap and naff looking (sorry guys just my gut feeling looking at the picture!)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    sorry - as a (now) non-palm user for a few years, at a quick glance I don't see what makes it significant more business like than any of the other treos of the last couple of year.
    Lack of style. The i780 on your avatar is clearly more attractive, while this device seems more durable and much less fun. All work and no play basically.

Surur
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Lack of style. The i780 on your avatar is clearly more attractive, while this device seems more durable and much less fun. All work and no play basically.

Surur

Ah right - now I get ya - I think it's partly that odd blue they've picked, it screams "cheap plastic" (which I'm sure it's not) - wonder what it would look like in black? any photoshoppers out there?
    how does the i780 d-pad hold up in real use? I mean can you use it like a regular d-pad without all the optics?

Well that didn't take too long, now did it?

(bad joke)

Yes folks, courtesy of Shadowmite (via Palm Infocenter) we have a real live shot of the long awaited 800w.

And...that's it.

No surprises and no more info (Okay, technically the micro-USB connector is confirmed). Sort of anti-climatic, no?

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/pi...00wfinall.html
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    It is a prototype though... i.e. Sprint's will be charcoal black. (This is why Palm hates leaks--people pre-judge the final product when it's in its development stage still)

Need we bring up the old Centro prototype pics too?

Actually, I'm kinda po'd that there is only 1 shift key (used to be two on older Treos)--they did on the Centro and I totally hate it.

Story is up BTW---that's what I get for heading out for the evening.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Looks like a Centro to me. Wonder if we could get a side by side of the two.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Let's see. Styling-wise, that thing looks like an amalgamation of the Zire 31 (blue), Zire 72 (blue & stacked buttons), Z22/LifeDrive ("condom ring" d-pad), and the Centro (hard button & d-pad arrangement). It's not setting any records for style but quite honestly, Palm's customers aren't really looking for that. I'm curious to know if that's softtouch paint on there though.

I'm glad to see the "smile" keyboard has been retained. I guess we are still assuming the battery capacity is 1500mAh?

Since the Athena connector has been ditched, I am assuming that the IR port is gone as well. I'll be curious to see if the 2.5mm headset jack has been retained, replaced by a 3.5mm stereo headphone plug for music purposes or if Palm's just going to go with BT completely (my guess).

A shame Palm didn't decide to use this formfactor for a cut-down Garnet version (785p?) to buy them some more time until Nova is ready. With 128mb RAM, a sizable battery, and possibly some onboard flash storage, Palm could still squeeze out one final midrange Garnet-based Treo.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Yes you can. There is an option to change btwn mouse and dpad. You just swipe it in the direction you want on the optical. There is even a shortcut pgm written by a user to let you quickly toggle btwn this two option by assigning to a hard key.
    Dark Lord of the Sith...
    Fear is My Ally...

http://www.ppcsg.com
    http://www.spug.net
    Mal you beat me to the posting!

Thanks for the tip, Surur!
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    ...Ugh. Really? I mean... Really? It kind of looks like one of those fake plastic phones toddlers have to chew on. Oh Palm... This was your big *last* chance...
    The one thing that I DON'T think about when looking at this phone is, "Wow! What a sleek business-like design". Maybe that's just me
    How many huge Palm logos do they need to plaster on the poor thing? Placing a Palm logo on the button is the ultimate sign of executive cheesiness, especially when you already have another one on top.

Man, am I glad I stopped wanting one of these months ago.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    It does look a lot like a Centro, but with minor differences (curved keyboard, button console mainly). Not really surprising...

I agree with Mal on the right shift key, but this is apparently the new Way Of Doing Things so we'll live.

There's no telling how the final product might look. When I ignore the blue grey plastic, I'm left looking at something that looks a lot like my Treo 700wx, but without that awful stubby antenna, and of course a higher-res screen. This, I think I can get excited about. I just pulled my 700wx out of the drawer and I miss it...I look forward to its newer counterpart when all the makeup has been applied.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    As a (now) non-palm user for a few years, at a quick glance I don't see what makes it significant more business like than any of the other treos of the last couple of year (which again I've only really glanced at)? - they all look of a muchness to me those days.

When I hold my i780 up against the screen, the treo looks sorta cheap and naff looking (sorry guys just my gut feeling looking at the picture!)
    Looks a whole like a slightly redesigned Treo 755 (no flush screen) nothing like the BB Bold or the HTC Diamond. Palm really needed a home run on design; I guess the influence from Apple has not caught on yet. I will still get the the Treo 800 W but will try the Diamond, Android and the new Palm Nova when released. Palm needs to be ashamed of themselves for running a great company into the the ground. The leader in smartphones and where does it stand now? It's a SELL now. What a shame; were in 2008 and Palm is still in 2003. How can Palm go against it's competitors; it comes in a distance 4th. The Previous pictures of the unit look better than this one. (of course it was a photo from a distance)
    Looks significantly worse than the 755p imo. It's like some *******, step-child of a Centro and a 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Looks significantly worse than the 755p imo. It's like some *******, step-child of a Centro and a 755p.
    Thanks, I started laughing when I saw your post and I am still smiling! Thanks

But what you said is so true. Like one of the previous posts we really expected more. But Palm always ALWAYS short changes it's customers and fans?!! (we can't say the same on HTC or BB)
    Except for that huge palm logo in the center of the dpad, I think it looks pretty good, semi blackberryish...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It is a prototype though... i.e. Sprint's will be charcoal black. (This is why Palm hates leaks--people pre-judge the final product when it's in its development stage still)

Need we bring up the old Centro prototype pics too?
    Come on guys. We already know this is not what the final product will look like. You going to make a $500+ decision based on a single picture of a prototype device?
    Ebag, of course they will.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast