Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    I don't know about charcoal black, but its clear that glossy black is the in thing at present (look at the HTC Diamond, Blackberry 9000 and the purported iPhone 2).

I hope Palm pays attention before its too late.

Surur
    Looking at the pic that Mal just threw up, I wonder if those side grooves indicate we may be getting a good holster for the thing... like the blackberrys?? I much prefer these types of cases to leather holsters. and there never was a really good one for the 700wx...
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    It's kinda hard to judge the appearance it still looks so pre-production like but its just OKAY.

I just don't get the "hard-soft keys" WTF! I would have gladly taken an tenth of additional screen size.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    I think it it looks great and I am really psyched about it. FINALLY!
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    It's obvious that Palm has addressed the low screen resolution, limited memory, storage and also processor speed...I hope they have fixed the serious Bluetooth problems that the 700w/wx models STILL have. That alone would make me very happy!
    So glad that it doesn't have a flush touchscreen. WM61 does a terrible job with screen presses in the phone app. Anyone who's used a Touch and a Mogul knows what I'm talking about. The Mogul is great and almost never registers an accidental screen press because of the recessed touchscreen.
    Ive been screaming for them to redesign the middle action button to a rubber tip, or something with a better grip. I dont care if they put the PALM logo in but I LOVE the fact that it looks like it will grip better. I hope this is a sign of thngs to come for the 800/900Plinux
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I hope this is a sign of thngs to come for the 800/900Plinux
    the 800/900 will surely follow the palm model of "we already own all those components and design molds"
    Agreed...

Now my thumb / fingers wont slide off so much.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    the 800/900 will surely follow the palm model of "we already own all those components and design molds"
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Let's see. Styling-wise, that thing looks like an amalgamation of the Zire 31 (blue), Zire 72 (blue & stacked buttons), Z22/LifeDrive ("condom ring" d-pad), and the Centro (hard button & d-pad arrangement). It's not setting any records for style but quite honestly, Palm's customers aren't really looking for that. I'm curious to know if that's softtouch paint on there though.
    You're making a generalization that most/all Palm customers aren't looking for style? I think its pretty obvious that style is pretty high on all many Palm customers list.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    You're making a generalization that most/all Palm customers aren't looking for style? I think its pretty obvious that style is pretty high on all many Palm customers list.
    Why do they have Palm's then

Ba-dum pum

Surur
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I truly think palm is to afraid to innovate. Palm has rode this same styling factor since the intro of the treo 600. This "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality is getting to be sad. With the absence of the antenna, this looks like every other treo out. HTC and Blackberry don't seem to be afraid to try different things. I will admit, this is a big step for palm with the introduction of wifi. But the wifi argument is not as strong as it was a few years back. I just think palm needs a breath of fresh air, and this isn't it. Maybe the "Drucker" will be it but not the 800w.

In Nov 2006, I switched to the HTC touch from my treo700wx. yeah I missed the keyboard at first but I got use to it. At first glance (800w) I see no reason to "come" back to palm. If the innovations that HTC are promoting with the soon to be released HTC Diamond are as good as the appear to be, I see no reason to ever "look" back.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Why do they have Palm's then

Ba-dum pum

Surur

You beat me to it - modern palm devices are a lot of things but Stylish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    not only style, we need some color
    Treo 800w
    I think my general problem is this. It looks like a centro. Which is being marketed as an entry level smartphone even if it is an evolution of sorts of the treo 650 and 700p.

So after that Centro came out, i thought palm would redesign its Treos to relect its "advanced" phone. But again, this looks like a Centro.

That's not to say that its bad or anything. But I was expecting some differentiation. The 800w will still do everything under the sun, but the look itself is what is going to grab you first. I do love the centro i have. I'm not sure i want to shell out the bucks for a windows centro basically but will be tempted. I will say that the palm centro has been my favorite smartphone thus far even going up against the iphone or whatever.

It just makes me wonder if the 900p with nova is going to be truly innovative, widescreen device some of us palm people have been wanting or will it simply be a tweaked centro with the name Treo plastered on it?
  16.    #56  
    I disagree. They should have made a flush screen, and made it glossy black and metallic to reflect its premium status. If they want to sell a high margin device it should look expensive.

I hope they at least did something interesting with the software and UI.

One wonders where the innovation is.

Surur
    I disagree. They should have made a flush screen, and made it glossy black and metallic to reflect its premium status. If they want to sell a high margin device it should look expensive.

Surur
    I like the recessed screen. If I drop my phone I'm not terrified I broke/scratched my screen.

I also like the Palm form/factor. It works well, and why may not be cutting edge, if something isn't broke, why fix it until it is?

Palm's handling the form factor right IMHO with minor changes to different versions and getting feedback on specfici things.

People as a general rule don't like things to be TOO radical. To give a few examples anyone remember the post style keyboard the Logitech had a while back? Or take a look at the Scion's, when they first showed up they were extremely designed (from a consumer standpoint). This year they were redesigned to be much more conservatively styled.

This is also a big part of the reason why one phone looks much like another.

Surur
    Palm experiments with flush screens (the did with the Centro), their conclusion from tester feedback was they did not like it as they were either nervous of scratching the screen or inadvertent screen presses. However, at least from the "drucker" details, it appears Palm will concede some of that (thought it remains to be seen, obviously).

I prefer slightly recessed myself, assuming the device is not a "touch" device which I'm not a fan of either.

re: "glossy black & metallic", to repeat: these are prototypes and in my story here I noted there are various colors and slightly different designs floating around.

I'm not sure people really get that these are tester devices. They are not meant to draw attention to themselves when being used in public since they are trying to keep them secret. If you recall, even iPhone testers were told to keep it in "under wraps" (granted, since most phones don't have much in the way of actual user testing, this is not an issue for most devices who only get the basic "carrier testing" stuff--but we know the 800w is being publicly beta tested).

Plus if the device is "carrier neutral" at the point, there is no need to beta test the final color scheme/gloss/paint, etc. The Sprint version is slated to go into final production in mid-June i.e. when the final design configuration is decided.

(Now if the device comes out and it's just as plain and blue as that pic, I'll eat crow.)

No offense Surur, but you slammed the Centro pre-release too for all the same reasons you are saying about the 800w and I think your critiques are certainly premature.

ps I also don't consider "flush screens" or glossy paint "innovation" exactly, so I'm not sure what you mean
    Last edited by Malatesta; 05/16/2008 at 03:06 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    i love see this device with color variants so that we can choose the color we wanted.
    "If you bring forth what is within you, it will heal you. And if you do not bring forth what is within you, it will destroy you." (from the Gospel of St. Thomas)
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

People as a general rule don't like things to be TOO radical.
    Who talking about radical? all people are asking for is a bit more "wow" in Treo's phone design - yes I know that's a dirty word when mentioned in the front of the great god functionality but besides the faithful, I don't think palm can compete at the higher end of the wm marketplace with those increasingly stale offerings - when people pay out a lot of money, the looks do counts (and yes I know someone will post "not to me!" but we are talking about market trends not individual preferences).

I just don't see any real product differentation - their high-end device looks pretty much like their bargin basement centro.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast