1.    #1  
    I am currently awaiting the delivery of a mini-SD card so I can hopefully reload WM6 and solve my "boot stops at Palm logo" problem (as per earlier thread).

When I was initially trying out my 750 , I used the "Getting Started CD" which included MS ActiveSync 4.2

When I ran the CD , the application was "looking" for the 750 and of course could never find it (as WM6 was missing). Since then , the "please connect device" box appears each time I boot my laptop. I uninstall the software but I'm not sure whether this was cleanly done - I've been getting the helpsvc.exe 100% CPC usage problem etc. Anyway , I've now sytem restored to BEFORE I installed (or tried to install) the "Getting Started CD".

I have a couple of questions:

- do I need to actually use MS ActiveSync? I don't really want to sync any emails/calenders. I only want to connect to my laptop to load different software applications and download photos etc.Can I just connect up the 750 to my laptop and just "drag and drop" without installing any software??

- I noticed there is a later version of ActiveSync - if I need to use ActiveSync , should I really be using the latest version?

- will ActiveSync work OK with XP SP1?

- is there anything else on the "Getting Started CD" apart from ActiveSync and the Treo Manual ie. is there any "Treo 750" software?

Thanks
    You should be running ActiveSync 4.5 which you can download from Microsoft for free.

You must have activesync installed to install software or move files. If you don't want to set up a sync relationship, then after you connect your treo and the box pops up asking you to set up the relationship, just click cancel. This will leave you running in "guest" mode. You can then use ActiveSync Explorer to view files on your device, install software, etc..

The CD should include a couple free apps. Mine had a copy of some backup softare. It should also include a copy of MS Outlook, in case you don't already have office installed.

Even if you're not doing much with the sync functions, I would still highly recommend setting up the relationship for contacts, if nothing else. It's easier to input and edit contacts on the PC in Outlook. Also, it provides a backup copy of the contacts, plus puts all those email and phone addresses within reach from either machine.

As far as your PC goes, why the heck are you still on SP1? SP3 is now the standard.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    fastlerner is right, you should install Activesync esp to your Laptop to easily manage files and esp contacts which you can even export and save from Outlook.

To summaries your queries:

1) Install Outlook 1st before downloading and installing Activesync which can be found on your CD. Outlook has some important core components needed for Activesync to work properly.

2) The latest version is 4.5 and it can be downloaded from this link.

3) Activesync 4.5 will work with SP1 though it is recommended that your upgrade your system to the latest SP3.

4) There are some applications on your Treo CD depending on the Carrier and Country. A good app that is included is Sprite Backup which does a great job of backing up your Treo.
    Proud Owner of a Palm Treo 650 Black Tie (:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Quick note: I'm not sure Outlook is listed in the menus that pop up when you put the Treo CD in. I found it on my by browsing around the CD with file explorer.

5.    #5  
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'm actually running SP2 on my main laptop. I guess I need to update to SP3 but I thought I would wait a bit for any bugs to be found - I'm also still on dial-up and it takes ages to update - so I also thought I might get a free CD from one of the computer mags but not seen any yet!!!

As ActiveSync 4.2 seemed to caused a few problems with my main laptop - maybe because I did not have a working 750 for it to detect - I though I might first try installing it on my old SP1 laptop.

Anyway, using System Restore fixed the problem on my main laptop whereas just uninstalling ActiveSync did not.

Fastlerner - I tried 4 times to download the WM6 image. Each download took over 4 hours but I lost the link to the server with between 89 - 98% of the download complete - ahhhh. I eventually asked a friend with broadband to download it for me!!
    I'm not touching SP3 for a good few months if I can help it. Why would I want to make my XP more like Vista?
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    I'm not touching SP3 for a good few months if I can help it. Why would I want to make my XP more like Vista?
    It doesn't make your machine more like Vista.

SP1 - fixed all the screwed up stuff following the launch of XP

SP2 - added new features and capabilities, plus all fixes from SP1

SP3 - includes all previously released updates for the operating system, in addition to a small number of new updates. Windows XP SP3 will not significantly change the Windows XP experience.

If you ever installed XP with SP2 and ran windows update, then I'm sure you've seen the massive amounts of updates since the release of SP2 (it's been years after all). They just rolled all that up into a single update - SP3. There are also some minor updates to security and compatibility.

SP3 is the last service pack that will be released for XP.

Those 'minor updates' are already Vista 'features'. I know exactly what's it in it. I'd use it on a new build but I reckon using it on my current build will cause a rebuild.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
  9.    #9  
    I am about to install ActiveSync 4.5 but noticed Cyfer33's comments about installing Outlook first.

Where is the best source to download Outlook? Can I extract it from the 750 CD without installing the "old" ActiveSync 4.2 which is the version on the CD.

Can I install Outlook after installing ActiveSync 4.5?

Thanks
  10.    #10  
    I just installed ActiveSync 4.5 WITHOUT installing Outlook first.

Everything seems to be OK - it enables me to install software from the "Mobile Application" on my laptops "My Computer" screen.

When I start up the Mobile Application I get messages still giving me the option to install Outlook AND to Sync my 750 with my laptop - but I just cancel these options.

I'm still learning but I was able to install music and the FieldTest program

I've yet to work out what it costs for internet access (not cheap I guess using a PAYG sim) so I don't think Dashwire is the best way forward at the moment

Fastlerner - I checked out the free software link listed at the bottom of your postings and the link is down
    Quote Originally Posted by g8tzl2004 View Post
    I just installed ActiveSync 4.5 WITHOUT installing Outlook first.

Everything seems to be OK - it enables me to install software from the "Mobile Application" on my laptops "My Computer" screen.

When I start up the Mobile Application I get messages still giving me the option to install Outlook AND to Sync my 750 with my laptop - but I just cancel these options.

I'm still learning but I was able to install music and the FieldTest program

I've yet to work out what it costs for internet access (not cheap I guess using a PAYG sim) so I don't think Dashwire is the best way forward at the moment

Fastlerner - I checked out the free software link listed at the bottom of your postings and the link is down

Yeah, if you click "cancel" when ActiveSync prompts to set up the relationship, you'll run in guest mode. That lets you install software and manage files without syncing.

As for the software link, apparently the datacenter that hosts itrello had a large transformer explosion/fire that took out the whole datacenter. No ETA.

I may look at rehosting if it doesn't come back soon. I just hate having to update all the links on freeware sites where I posted software.