1.    #1  
    i just changed the registry value on my treo 700wx to "/Storage Card/" without quotations and nothing has changed. i erased all ringtones from the rings folder under windows and when i go to my ringtones under sound settings none are listed. i even tried adding them again and they copy right back to the /windows/ring/ directory. i would love to have all my ringtones saved to my memory card seeing as how the 700wx has only so much memory. i was wondering if anyone came across this problem or if anyone even has this registry edit working on their phone. thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.
    MemMaid has the option to move your ringtones to the storage card. However, there where problems. Sometimes, the phone would never ring. Other times it could not find the ringtone and it would play a default ringtone. I just gave up and put my ringtone back in the device memory. No problems since.
    I remember trying that 'memory card storage' trick with the IE files, and it caused nothing but problems, so I wouldn't suggest doing that with something as needed and highly utilized as ring-tones. Anything can happen to the card and you can miss many calls. I would suggest trimming them down as much as possible (using a ring-tone creator), and try to limit the number you keep at a time (maybe delete, or more to storage the stock, or un-used ones). I really feel these options will help you more that the reg edit trick will!!
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    I remember trying that 'memory card storage' trick with the IE files, and it caused nothing but problems, so I wouldn't suggest doing that with something as needed and highly utilized as ring-tones. Anything can happen to the card and you can miss many calls. I would suggest trimming them down as much as possible (using a ring-tone creator), and try to limit the number you keep at a time (maybe delete, or more to storage the stock, or un-used ones). I really feel these options will help you more that the reg edit trick will!!
    I had tried the PIE trick as will. MemMaid also has an option for this and I was having issues with that. However, I do save my cookies on the storage card using MemMaid. The history and cache stay on main memory and I run a quickclean every so often to delete that stuff. This method seems pretty stable and saves my cookies without taking up space on the device itself. I have a 4GB card, so I have room to spare there.

I only have one ringtone and trimmed it down to about 30 seconds. Doesn't hurt me too bad.

Of course if we can now work with the custom ROMs, maybe now we can remove a bunch of the excess ringtones. I use two tones throughout my entire device. I use Johnny Cash's Man in Black for my ringtone and use Alarm for everything else. If I could just have those two, I could save some room in the ROM at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    This method seems pretty stable and saves my cookies without taking up space on the device itself. I have a 4GB card, so I have room to spare there.
    You DO realize that cookies are maybe 1 or 2 KB each, right? Hardly worth the savings for the trouble it'll make you go through (randomly making you resign in and such thinking you're missing the cookie).

I only have one ringtone and trimmed it down to about 30 seconds. Doesn't hurt me too bad.
    Easiest way to get a 30 second ring tone.

Go to http://www.mp3sparks.com and don't sign in if you have an account (which I *HIGHLY* recommend the site, huge selection and a spectacular price). Browse to the song you want, and download the low quality 30 second preview.

Now this is of course just the first 30 seconds of the song, so if you wanted a particular chunk of it, this wouldn't work. If you get an account you can preview the first 60 seconds of the song, so you could register (or sign in) then grab that and trim as wanted. If you wanted something past that, once you spend $50 there you can preview the entire song (in low quality format), so you could grab that and trim as needed.

The low quality format is perfect for a ring tone, low enough that it's very small, high enough that it's a decent sound. You won't notice the difference between the low quality and 128kbs or higher coming out of the speakerphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    You DO realize that cookies are maybe 1 or 2 KB each, right? Hardly worth the savings for the trouble it'll make you go through (randomly making you resign in and such thinking you're missing the cookie).
    Yeah I know, but I am anal about trying to keep my device as clean and asmuch free as I can. Call it stupid, I just can't help myself.
    Yeah I know, but I am anal about trying to keep my device as clean and asmuch free as I can. Call it stupid, I just can't help myself.
    You can always set Memmaid to clean automatically upon reset. That would keep everything cleaned out for you, and avoid the issues involved with reassigning!

(and we all know we need to reset!!!! LOL)
  8.    #8  
    ok thanks guys. i figured this registry edit wouldnt give me much help. thanks for the help tho. ill go ahead and set it back.

althought being able to hold as many ringtones on a sd card would be great.

maybe another time.