1.    #1  
    I just received my new Palm Treo 700wx(Sprint) and wanted to know if anyone can weigh in on how I can get the fastest Internet browsing speed on my Palm. I am in an 1xRTT location and can't get EVDO. I was looking into getting a WiFi SDIO card for my Palm to tap into my wireless home network to see if that could increase my browsing speed. ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS.
    If you don't have EVDO in your area you'll need a Wireless SD card (which means you lose your SD slot, more likely than not). Or you can use activesync as a sort of reverse DUN (phone will use your comps connection, only through USB however I believe).

Or wait a month (or two, or three...) and get the 800w. That'll have builtin wifi.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If you don't have EVDO in your area you'll need a Wireless SD card (which means you lose your SD slot, more likely than not). Or you can use activesync as a sort of reverse DUN (phone will use your comps connection, only through USB however I believe).

Or wait a month (or two, or three...) and get the 800w. That'll have builtin wifi.
    I appreciate the feedback Ebag333, but I just invested $300 on the Treo 700wx(and waiting on my $100 rebate). So I'll probably not purchase the 800. I usually keep my phones 2 years at a time. But, I appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hocjo2626 View Post
    I appreciate the feedback Ebag333, but I just invested $300 on the Treo 700wx(and waiting on my $100 rebate). So I'll probably not purchase the 800. I usually keep my phones 2 years at a time. But, I appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks.
    Little story about persistance.

My mom had a Mogul (Sprint), and used it for like....6 months. Took it in a couple of times because it would run out of memory and run like a dog, of course a soft reset would "fix" it, but not permanantly. Finally calls in and insisted (nicely of course) on a new phone.

So she gets a Touch in the mail. Calls and asks me about it, and I tell her how great it is....except that it's got a software keyboard. She can't stand that, so doesn't even open it up. Calls Sprint, and asks for a new phone.

So she gets a 750p in the mail. Calls and asks me again about it (why does she always call AFTER she gets the phone? ), and I inform her that it's Palm OS and not WM, and she'll have to relearn it. Again, doesn't open the box, calls and asks for a new phone.

So she gets a 700wx in the mail (which I recommended before she got the Mogul ). She really likes it.

Moral of the story, carriers want to keep you. If you're in good standing with them, and you shelled out cash (like she did for the Mogul), they'll keep swapping phones until you're happy. It's cheaper for them (since they get the old ones back, though she did have all 4 at the same time for a while....) than getting a new customer.

As another aside, I got my 700wx for $100 (when it was brand new, I only qualified for the $100 rebate too, not the $200 one), and I only paid $100 because the Mrs threw away the info I needed for the $100 rebate.

If you're nice, but persistant, you can usually get what you want. Especially if you've been a customer a long time (like I have) or have nice fat bills (like my mom). Assuming of course you're a customer in good standing.

If I were you, I'd use the 700wx for a month or two until the 800w drops. When the 800w drops, go back in the store (or call, I usually have better luck with phone reps) and ask (kindly) why no one told you a new version of the phone was just a month away, and how you would have waited for it had you known. They may ask you to pay an upgrade price (could be nothing, could be the difference in price between the phone, depends on the rep, how nice you are, and your account history). IIRC Sprint has a sort of 45 day guarantee on the phones where you can swap it out if you don't like it (or something along those lines). If you get lucky, you might get an 800w for $200.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Little story about persistance.

My mom had a Mogul (Sprint), and used it for like....6 months. Took it in a couple of times because it would run out of memory and run like a dog, of course a soft reset would "fix" it, but not permanantly. Finally calls in and insisted (nicely of course) on a new phone.

So she gets a Touch in the mail. Calls and asks me about it, and I tell her how great it is....except that it's got a software keyboard. She can't stand that, so doesn't even open it up. Calls Sprint, and asks for a new phone.

So she gets a 750p in the mail. Calls and asks me again about it (why does she always call AFTER she gets the phone? ), and I inform her that it's Palm OS and not WM, and she'll have to relearn it. Again, doesn't open the box, calls and asks for a new phone.

So she gets a 700wx in the mail (which I recommended before she got the Mogul ). She really likes it.

Moral of the story, carriers want to keep you. If you're in good standing with them, and you shelled out cash (like she did for the Mogul), they'll keep swapping phones until you're happy. It's cheaper for them (since they get the old ones back, though she did have all 4 at the same time for a while....) than getting a new customer.

As another aside, I got my 700wx for $100 (when it was brand new, I only qualified for the $100 rebate too, not the $200 one), and I only paid $100 because the Mrs threw away the info I needed for the $100 rebate.

If you're nice, but persistant, you can usually get what you want. Especially if you've been a customer a long time (like I have) or have nice fat bills (like my mom). Assuming of course you're a customer in good standing.

If I were you, I'd use the 700wx for a month or two until the 800w drops. When the 800w drops, go back in the store (or call, I usually have better luck with phone reps) and ask (kindly) why no one told you a new version of the phone was just a month away, and how you would have waited for it had you known. They may ask you to pay an upgrade price (could be nothing, could be the difference in price between the phone, depends on the rep, how nice you are, and your account history). IIRC Sprint has a sort of 45 day guarantee on the phones where you can swap it out if you don't like it (or something along those lines). If you get lucky, you might get an 800w for $200.
    Man Ebag333, that's some good information. I have been with Sprint since 1998 and for those 10 years I've paid all my bills on time. So I may take your advice and try to talk my way into the new Treo 800. When I got the Treo 700wx yesterday, I called the Sprint rep to get my phone activated and I also talked my way into getting the $15 unlimited data plan added to my existing account for free. My monthly out-of-pocket expense is about $40 to $42 a month.
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Man Ebag333, that's some good information. I have been with Sprint since 1998 and for those 10 years I've paid all my bills on time. So I may take your advice and try to talk my way into the new Treo 800. When I got the Treo 700wx yesterday, I called the Sprint rep to get my phone activated and I also talked my way into getting the $15 unlimited data plan added to my existing account for free. My monthly out-of-pocket expense is about $40 to $42 a month.
    How did you pull that off?
    LongLivePalm
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by LLC23 View Post
    How did you pull that off?

Well, I simply told the representative that I was looking to upgrading my phone to the Palm Treo 700wx. I told them that I am a loyal 10-year customer that has paid every bill on time (and this IS true). They looked up my history, came back and said, "Sir, we appreciate your loyalty with Sprint. We would like to offer you the unlimited data plan for free. This will allow you to get the most out of your new phone. It will simply be added to your current account. Would this interest you sir?" I was like, HELL YEAH!!. So, that's how it happened.
    Well, I simply told the representative that I was looking to upgrading my phone to the Palm Treo 700wx. I told them that I am a loyal 10-year customer that has paid every bill on time (and this IS true). They looked up my history, came back and said, "Sir, we appreciate your loyalty with Sprint. We would like to offer you the unlimited data plan for free. This will allow you to get the most out of your new phone. It will simply be added to your current account. Would this interest you sir?" I was like, HELL YEAH!!. So, that's how it happened.
    Listen to the man. Sprint has been every good to me for being a loyal customer.