1.    #1  
    I was able to connect my 700wx via Bluetooth to Vista Ultimate on my Dell Laptop, I was never able to use Bluetooth DUN though I kept getting an error indicating that the "remote computer was not responding" after doing some research I was able to come up with away to not only connect the 700wx to my laptop I was also able to use it as a bluetooth modem. I hope the following steps are concise and I believe the steps will work for any Bluetooth adapter (internal or usb dongle) and on any flavor of Microsoft Vista.

1. Download the latest Bluesoleil from BlueSoleil
    2. Click on the Windows button which is essentially Start
    3. Go to Device Manager, I accomplish this by pressing WindowsKey+R and typing in DEVMGMT.MSC
    4. Locate your existing Bluetooth device, click on the + sign and double click on the Bluetooth device (or you can right click on the device and left click PROPERTIES)
    5. Click on the DETAILS tab and change PROPERTY drop down to HARDWARE ID, right click and COPY the line that looks similar to this USB\VID_413C&PID_8126 of course your VID and PID may not be the same as my example.
    6. Open up your ADD/REMOVE programs, in Vista it's in the Control Panel and called PROGRAMS AND FEATURES (quick tip, you can open it by pressing WindowsKey+R and typing in APPWIZ.CPL
    7. Remove ANY Bluetooth associated programs (do not reboot)
    8. Remove ANY Bluetooth device from your Device Manager (do not reboot)
    9. Unzip and install BlueSoleil. I installed version 5.0.5.178 (do not reboot)
    10. Now comes the fun part! Pay close attention, read and re-read.
    11. Browse your computer to C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\driver\usb in that directory you will find a file named btcusb double click that file and it will open in notepad
    12. Either use the FIND feature in notepad or scroll down looking for the entry titled [ControlFlags] and add the following line of code making sure to add the PID and VID that you copied from your device manager
    Code:
    ExcludeFromSelect= USB\VID_413C&PID_8126
    13. Use Find again or scroll down until you locate [IVT] and add the following code making sure to use your specific device and not my example
    Code:
    %DELL.DeviceDesc%=Btusb_DDI, USB\VID_413C&PID_8126
    I kept my at the top of the list so it's easier to find if you install the drive manually
    14. Save the file you just edited ensuring you keep the same file name, overwrite if needed.
    15. Now browse to C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil double click on bttl
    16. Under the title [DEFAULT] change NUM=111 to NUM=112 or which ever number it shows to the next sequence number, if it shows NUM=89 change it to NUM=90
    17. Use find or scroll down to the original NUM=111, if the original entry is NUM=111 you will FIND or SCROLL DOWN to [HW111] add a new line after the entry
    18. Add a new entry like the following code, again ensure that you use your own information (Tip: I made up my own name for the TYPE and MANUFACTURE)
    Code:
    [HW112]
    ID=USB\VID_413C&PID_8126
    Type=Dell 355
    DLL=Driver\USB\btcusb.dll
    DLLD=Driver\USB\btcusb.dll
    Inffile=Driver\USB\btcusb.inf
    Manufacture=Dell
    Again, make sure you put the VID and PID associated with your Bluetooth Device.
    19. Save and close the file making sure you keep the name the same.
    20. NOW REBOOT
    21. After your computer comes back up, it will say that there's new hardware found, make sure you select BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE
    22. Browse to C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\driver\usb click OK and Next. Doing this will locate the drive that you edited and allow you to use BlueSoleil as your Bluetooth Manager
    23. Make your Treo ready to be discovered and use BlueSoleil Bluetooth Manager to find your Treo and pair the device to your laptop or computer
    24. After BlueSoleil connects to your laptop, double click your Treo in the Bluetooth Manager and search for the services available
    25. Create your Bluetooth DUN, when it appears use the following information (for Sprint users)
    Code:
    USERNAME: user
    PASSWORD: user
    PHONE: #777
    26. Click on the PROPERTIES button and click on the SECURITY tab and make sure that TYPICAL (RECOMMENDED SETTING) is selected and under VERIFY MY IDENTITY AS FOLLOWS is ALLOW UNSECURED PASSWORD
    27. Click APPLY and OK (yeah I'm old school)
    28. Test your connection
    29. If all goes well you will now be connected to the internet!!!! That just goes to show that not all bluetooth stacks are created equally.
    Cool.. Thanks for the instructions...I'll give it a try on Monday.

I hope it works. I too have a Dell laptop.
  3.    #3  
    Try it and let me know your results, I'm interested if it can be done on your laptop as well as any other devices.
    Well, I tried and so far I've failed. First, my bluetooth adapter had the same ID so I pretty much copied your instructions word for word. Except my btll file had 252 hardware entries. So I added a 253rd for the Dell. After restarting, Bluesoleil said I was running a trial and could only transfer 5mb of data...so perhaps I downloaded the wrong Bluesoleil file.

One other thing when I looked at my Harware ID I had 2 entries.
    VID_413C&PID_8126
    and
    VID_413C&PID_8126&REV_0100
    So initially I tried putting references to both IDs in the files and that failed to install the drivers. I deleted the REV_0100 entries and I was able to install the drivers but not have complete success.

I could pair my phone and I entered in the DUN info, but I could never connect. It wouldn't give me any errors that I remember. But the Bluesoleil stack didn't seem to support bluetooth activesync. That service wasn't even available.
    Can you have bluetooth dun and bluetooth activesync with your setup? Any ideas where I might have gone wrong?
  5.    #5  
    if you're getting the message about the trail, that means your device is hooked up properly via bluetooth. Make sure you change the settings in your bluetooth modem in the connections windows. I'm not sure about the sync part because I do not use that feature, I sync with an Exchange server over the air. I've added a zip file which contains the two files that I changed in order to make this work. This is only because it's the same Vendor and Product ID.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant007 View Post
    Make sure you change the settings in your bluetooth modem in the connections windows.

I'm not sure about the sync part because I do not use that feature,
    Thanks...I'll try again. What do you mean change settings in bluetooth modem in the connections windows? Where do I do that?

When you look in your Bluetooth connections on your Treo and you see your Dell laptop, what services do you have available. I only had stereo headphones and serial port....no DUN or activesync.
    Thanks elephant007! I hope to get this working!
    I followed your steps. I too am on Vista 32bit with a Dell 355 adapter.

I installed "IVT_BlueSoleil_6.0.223.0_for_32bit_OS"

Here's what was a little different...

- When I rebooted, it found and installed the driver automatically. Device Manager says it's a "BROADCOM Bluetooth Device"

- I didn't have anything in Programs for IVT or Bluesoleil. When I go to the Program Files\IVT...\Bluesoleil folder, I ran BlueSoleil.exe, and got the "IVT Bluesoleil" window, with 12 icons at the top. When I click on "Bluetooth" on the menu, I have "Search Devices" (greyed out), "Arrange Devices by..." and "My Device Properties" (greyed out)

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by treythompson; 05/14/2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling
  8.    #8  
    treythompson

By your description, your Broadcom Bluetooth is not using the BlueSoleil driver. Verify you are/aren't using the BlueSoleil driver. Go to device manager, open the bluetooth tree, double click on your bluetooth device look on the GENERAL tab, if the MANUFACTURE says IVT CORPORATION you are indeed using BlueSoleil if not using the WIDCOMM stack. Change the driver so you are using the BlueSoleil stack.
    Go to your Bluetooth device(s) and remove them. After doing that scan for new hardware changes and let Vista know that you want to choose your own driver, browse to C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\driver\usb and choose the driver from the list.
    That is why you are unable to connect to your bluetooth device using BlueSoleil. Try connecting after making those changes.
    elephant,
    The driver tab says "IVT Corporation, 3/6/2008, 6.1.26.86"
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant007 View Post
    Make sure you change the settings in your bluetooth modem in the connections windows.

I'm not sure about the sync part because I do not use that feature,
    Thanks...I'll try again. What do you mean change settings in bluetooth modem in the connections windows? Where do I do that?

When you look in your Bluetooth connections on your Treo and you see your Dell laptop, what services do you have available. I only had stereo headphones and serial port....no DUN or activesync.