Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I read this article, it made me think twice...

MWg specs up 2008 handset roadmap
    By James Sherwood
    May 9, 2008

The Mobile and Wireless Group (MWg) has given Register Hardware a sneak peek at four upcoming handsets, including its first Windows Mobile 7 device, during the official launch of the firm's two latest handsets: the Atom V and Zinc II.
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/05...andset_lineup/
    Kev,

None of them have the form of a treo...

In addition, if you wanted those devices, htc has the look of much in that lineup.

Although, windows mob 7 in Q4... that might be worth waiting for... dunno what it brings new to the table though. Seems like Windows mob 6 does not have any devices released for it yet... mob 7 already? Hmm....

edit: I meant 6.1... although, I think it may have some devices... not released in full yet....
    Last edited by theog; 05/10/2008 at 02:57 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I can't imagine MS would release 7 less than a year after releasing 6.1. Even assuming 7 was complete, it'd be shooting themselves in the foot sales wise. Many people would hold off from buying phones with 6 on it, for exactly that reason, and I'm sure the carriers would throw a fit.

Unless they mean Q4 2010.....
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Hmm

downside for me is

I live in the states

and I have no plan to leave from the Sprint Sero plan anytime soon.

the HTC Raphael has become my new device for the future... that is if the 800W fails at blowing me away.

I am still holding a little back for the 800w until more info is released.

but the new UI HTC is putting out is purely amazing.
    A reason to hold off buying the 800?

Sure, no problem.

The blackberry 9000 bold. End of story.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I'm not sure you can hold off from buying something that isn't available yet
    Oh come on, dude. OBVIOUSLY, this refers to WHEN the treo 800 becomes available.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Well at the speed Palm release new products they could be out before the 800w
    I got crusified by people on here about stating how the 800 doesn't have anything to offer that isn't released already. I got news for those people. Because it says "Treo" it doesn't mean it will set the World on fire. You can't have 2+ year gaps between devices and be successful. HTC has pretty much taken over the PDA market. A market Palm owned years ago. They did it with speed. Seems like a new release every few months. Plus they get better and better. Look how far they come from the 6600 and 6700, which I thought were crap compared to the 650 and 700 Palm series. I am a Palm fan so I really hope the 800 can Wow me because from the feature list I am not so impressed since I have all that now except the memory bump. So here we wait and wait and wait.........
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I wouldn't exactly make the claim that PALM owned the smartphone market. Did they have a share of it? Sure... but I wouldn't say ANYWHERE near close to majority. RIM has that pleasure...
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I got crusified by people on here about stating how the 800 doesn't have anything to offer that isn't released already. I got news for those people. Because it says "Treo" it doesn't mean it will set the World on fire. You can't have 2+ year gaps between devices and be successful. HTC has pretty much taken over the PDA market. A market Palm owned years ago. They did it with speed. Seems like a new release every few months. Plus they get better and better. Look how far they come from the 6600 and 6700, which I thought were crap compared to the 650 and 700 Palm series. I am a Palm fan so I really hope the 800 can Wow me because from the feature list I am not so impressed since I have all that now except the memory bump. So here we wait and wait and wait.........
    You can have a gap if htc does not deliver a phone that is a replica of the treo that works with my service provider.

You seem to have missed the fact that it does not matter if it is a "palm" built the device, it is the "palm" form factor that people want.

I doubt if many people around here *honestly* give a rats azzzzz about palm anymore.... someone release a touch-screen device that has a similar layout as palm, people are gone. The device must have a better build quality... at least equal palm in every form and fashion, but surpass palm in certain areas.....

Until that happens, you are comparing apples to walnuts.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    It's not just the form factor that makes people want to buy/keep Treo's, it's the software tweaks as well, although these are now being assimilated into WM.

Palm have never really been ahead of the game hardware wise so I wouldn't expect the 800w to change this. It's whether they are in line with other manufacturers.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    If the BOLD use WM, then I would get it.

In fact, I need any device to be WM before I think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    It's not just the form factor that makes people want to buy/keep Treo's, it's the software tweaks as well, although these are now being assimilated into WM.

Palm have never really been ahead of the game hardware wise so I wouldn't expect the 800w to change this. It's whether they are in line with other manufacturers.
    of course they were. they invented the dang category. they used to have like 90% market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    of course they were. they invented the dang category. they used to have like 90% market share.
    Eh, it makes a good sounding legacy but it's really a combo of technologies. The RIM Blackberry 850 (email, limited html browsing) was out before the Handspring 180 and Palm VII.

I really see Handpring/RIM (later Palm/RIM obviously) as co-creating the market: one concentrated on enterprise and email, the other more on full-pda and phone.

Eventually it all merged with the Treo 180 and BB 5810 in 2002 (PDQ in 1999 was kinda cool). From there is was back and forth but RIM stayed out of the limelight since they only focused on enterprise and not consumer, where average-Joe (with disposable cash) could buy a Treo at Sprint.

Even in 2002, RIM still had 340,000 subscribers vs. Handspring who only had 13,000 buyers of the Treo (1st 3 months). (And RIM, not Handspring/Palm, have the patent on front qwerty kb's)

Heck even by 2002 there were already 4 fully-featured WM pocket pcs with phones (Thera, XDA, SX56, MDA)

I think the "Treo" name and image did become synonymous with "smartphone" for a long time and was used generically, hence why at least the appearance that Palm somehow dominated the market early on. But I think it's mostly fiction.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 05/15/2008 at 02:41 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Eh, it makes a good sounding legacy but it's really a combo of technologies. The RIM Blackberry 850 (email, limited html browsing) was out before the Handspring 180 and Palm VII.

I really see Handpring/RIM (later Palm/RIM obviously) as co-creating the market: one concentrated on enterprise and email, the other more on full-pda and phone.

Eventually it all merged with the Treo 180 and BB 5810 in 2002 (PDQ in 1999 was kinda cool). From there is was back and forth but RIM stayed out of the limelight since they only focused on enterprise and not consumer, where average-Joe (with disposable cash) could buy a Treo at Sprint.

Even in 2002, RIM still had 340,000 subscribers vs. Handspring who only had 13,000 buyers of the Treo (1st 3 months). (And RIM, not Handspring/Palm, have the patent on front qwerty kb's)

Heck even by 2002 there were already 4 fully-featured WM pocket pcs with phones (Thera, XDA, SX56, MDA)

I think the "Treo" name and image did become synonymous with "smartphone" for a long time and was used generically, hence why at least the appearance that Palm somehow dominated the market early on. But I think it's mostly fiction.
    not fiction son...

The rimm back then didn't even have a phone. no voice service. it was just messaging only. it was on a special messaging band too not at 1.9. it had AWESOME battery life but it didnt do anything else. it just synced with outlook. I still have mine

if memory serves, and it may not since its been so long....the treo was the first phone/internet device.
    treo was the first mass market to take the category of a triple feature set. thus the name. Treo. and make no mistake. they created the category in terms of the first device to get mass market adoption.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    not fiction son...

The rimm back then didn't even have a phone. no voice service. it was just messaging only. it was on a special messaging band too not at 1.9. it had AWESOME battery life but it didnt do anything else. it just synced with outlook. I still have mine

if memory serves, and it may not since its been so long....the treo was the first phone/internet device.
    treo was the first mass market to take the category of a triple feature set. thus the name. Treo. and make no mistake. they created the category in terms of the first device to get mass market adoption.
    It gets gray, imo.

The BB 5810 in 2002 (same year as the Treo 180) had voice, data, kb.

The PDQ was out in early 1999 (for $700!) but that was pre-keyboard (it was also technically a Qualcomm device, not Palm). Visorphone in 2001 could count...but all of these dates start overlapping after awhile. I still see this as each company (and eventually MS in 2002) going back and forth and one-upping each other. The Treo 600/650 was certainly popular though.

So I guess it depends if you count the KB devices or non-KB ones. The 6750 in 2003 on Verizon was also a turning point for RIM vs. the Treo 180.

I just see it as converging markets.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    mobitex..that's what it was called. rimm only even started marketing to the consumer market in what 2006? 2005? that's according to them not me.

Treo was the mass market device that appealed to business and consumer segments from the start. rimm has a lot of models that consumers like now but its a change that occured 2-3 years ago. rimm was a category maker to--but they drove more business messaging. its that mobitex app that made it the crackberry and brought business users into the segment.
    it certainly isnt the rest of bbery's apps as even now they are kinda fugly imo.
    Truth of the matter is... RIM has ALWAYS dominated the smartphone market, it doesn't matter who was first by months. Corporations used BB's. They didn't buy fleets of Treo's and the way Treo became the "smartphone" is solely due to fan-boyism. Businesses didn't need to call them smartphones; just people who wanted to think their phone was better than someone else's and could show off their feature set. Again, doesn't mean Handspring dominated, just more consumer oriented than BB's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Truth of the matter is... RIM has ALWAYS dominated the smartphone market, it doesn't matter who was first by months. Corporations used BB's. They didn't buy fleets of Treo's and the way Treo became the "smartphone" is solely due to fan-boyism. Businesses didn't need to call them smartphones; just people who wanted to think their phone was better than someone else's and could show off their feature set. Again, doesn't mean Handspring dominated, just more consumer oriented than BB's.
    wow this is a really dumb view. of course this is 100% wrong. RIMM just started targeting consumers a few years ago. total ignorance. Palm a la handspring beat them to the mass market by years.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast