1.    #1  
    Is there away around the gmail app not working on the Treo 700WX.
    Check out my site.

Http://www.paulrobbins.net
    What does the gmail app do? If you're trying to retrieve mail, why not just configure to retrieve gmail via POP or even IMAP?
    now that gmail got imap working, its pretty much flawless. you can move email to folders on your phone and it will move it in your gmail web webmail too. only missing one thing... push. but what can you do. setup instructions can be found on the website. don't forget to enable it in your gmail settings as well.
  4.    #4  
    I went through the instructions and it still does not work. And yes I enabled it on there site. I changed some of the settings around a little and it still does not work.

I followed the instructions but they same to be for the WM5 version and not the Palm tweaked WM5.
    Check out my site.

Quote Originally Posted by mattkeo View Post
    only missing one thing... push.
    The latest beta of FlexMail 4 at http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forum...howtopic=12690 supports IMAP IDLE from gmail, which pushes the mail down pretty fast.

It still has a few bugs to be worked out, but has been pretty reliable for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulinbna View Post
    I went through the instructions and it still does not work. And yes I enabled it on there site. I changed some of the settings around a little and it still does not work.

I followed the instructions but they same to be for the WM5 version and not the Palm tweaked WM5.
    I remember your name from the Comcast thread. Are you trying to use the Windows Messaging to set up a pop/imap gmail account? Do you still have the Comcast registry entry in place? If the answer to these two questions is yes, then the registry entry is your problem. If you delete the registry entry you made to improve the speed of Comcast e-mail, then gmail should work.
  7.    #7  
    Then am I assuming comcast will take as long as it took before the registry edit?
    Check out my site.

I'm afraid so. I can't find any way to get fast comcast and also get gmail.

I have my gmail set now so it checks and retrieves my comcast mail. Gmail is the only account I'm using on my 700wx right now.
    Just to expand on that a little, I prefer using gmail over Comcast for a few reasons. As you know, Comcast will only allow you to download via POP. I hated having to delete e-mail on my phone and in my Comcast account separately. I know I could set it to delete on the server when I delete from the phone, but there were some messages that I didn't want to delete, so I didn't enable it. If I had a message I wanted to save, I'd delete it on the phone, then save it to a different folder on the PC when using Comcast.

The best benefit, however, is that gmail IMAP syncs your e-mail folders. So, if I send an e-mail from gmail on my PC, it syncs to my phone. For Comcast, that sent message only appeared on my PC. There were lots of times I was out and about and wanted access to an e-mail I had sent, but it wasn't available. Now it is with gmail IMAP.

I don't know if Windows Messaging will do the IMAP sync or not. I've been using the FlexMail program I mentioned above for e-mail since I switched over to gmail. You definitely need FlexMail for the push e-mail, and it has many features and selectable options for syncing folders.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewP View Post
    I'm afraid so. I can't find any way to get fast comcast and also get gmail.

I have my gmail set now so it checks and retrieves my comcast mail. Gmail is the only account I'm using on my 700wx right now.
    And how do you do that. Is it on the gmail page.
    Check out my site.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewP View Post
    The latest beta of FlexMail 4 at http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forum...howtopic=12690 supports IMAP IDLE from gmail, which pushes the mail down pretty fast.

It still has a few bugs to be worked out, but has been pretty reliable for me.
    I've looked into many alternatives for push, and although flexmail is one, I just don't want to download another mail program onto my my phone when I have a working one already installed into the rom. I'm sure it works good, just different temperments I guess.

the setting is either in comcast to forward all mail to gmail, or in gmail to retrieve from comcast. its up to you how you want to set it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulinbna View Post
    And how do you do that. Is it on the gmail page.
    In GMail, select settings, then select accounts, then add a mail account. It will walk you through the process. It will then poll Comcast about once per hour and download the mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkeo View Post
    I've looked into many alternatives for push, and although flexmail is one, I just don't want to download another mail program onto my my phone when I have a working one already installed into the rom. I'm sure it works good, just different temperments I guess.

the setting is either in comcast to forward all mail to gmail, or in gmail to retrieve from comcast. its up to you how you want to set it up.
    I agree. I hate to download duplicative software. I use e-mail so much and like the functionality of FlexMail so much that this is a case where I'm willing to do it. You're right, though, there are several alternatives.
    Not trying to hijack the thread but, I don't have or want the data plan right now. When I get a wifi card will I be able to check my web based gmail when using a hotspot?
    Getting back to the gmail converstation, what is the best email program for the phone to use gmail? Currently I am just using Outlook. Also, someone mentioned that when you change folders on the phone, it also changes them on the gmail website. Can someone elaborate how that works?

Thanks!
    you have to set up an imap account for it to work. pop will not sync your folders. once you have set up your imap gmail account on your treo, you can select menu ->move. and then selcet the folder you want to move it to. when your gmail account connects to the internet, it will sync your folders. now when you log into web based gmail those messages will be archived and filed into the folder you selected on your phone. hope that makes sense.
    Awesome....Thanks.

Makes perfect sense.
    I want to apologize if this is a redundant post but I did search extensively for the answer. I found a thread which I thought was related to this topic (I would link the thread but the site wont let me). It answers my question if I have the correct understanding of what "PUSH" is.

My question is this. I have no data plan for the treo 700wx. When I first set up Outlook 2007 to recieve e-mails from my Gmail account I set up a POP account. The Outlook POP account would (I guess) read the gmail e-mails and copy them into its own folder. After doing so I would sync my treo with Outlook and the POP e-mail would copy over to the treo. I could then read the Outlook e-mails in my treo and reply to them with the Treo. Once I re-synced my treo with my PC, Outlook would then receive the reply from the Treo and forward it on to my gmail account.

This is all fine and good, but naturally it's a POP account and as such there is a lot of copied e-mails and confusion between Gmail and Outlook, not the treo and Outlook.

Then, I later set up an IMAP and SMTP account in place of the POP to communicate between Gmail and Outlook. Naturally in Outlook this created a separate folder from the "Personal Folders". The separate folder is named "Username@gmail.com" and Outlook will not forward the "Username@gmail.com" e-mails to the treo 700wx.
    Is this what the "PUSH" feature is referring to? People that have no data accounts on their phone will receive e-mails from their e-mail client's IMAP through some kind of forwarding?

Can I get Outlook 2007 to send the gmail e-mails to my treo while still using IMAP? Is there just some Outlook 2007 setting that I'm not seeing. I've looked for awhile to find a solution and am now resorting to posting.

To test it out I sent an e-mail to myself with my treo on the outlook IMAP setting it did sync over to outlook and then to gmail.

All I need to know is if there is a way to send the e-mails from gmail to Outlook, then to the treo once it syncs with an IMAP setting. I can write an e-mail in the treo and have it send once it syncs without the phone automatically resorting to data. I suppose I could have outlook read the Gmail account through IMAP and then have it copy the e-mails over to the “personal folders”. If I had to resport to that then I may as well put the settings back to POP.

Thanks for all your help
    WoehlkeTAD