1.    #1  
    I was checking the main memory of my Treo 750 using the built-in task manager and found out 2 memory readings: Storage Memory and Program Memory. What is the main difference between the two?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by roydok View Post
    I was checking the main memory of my Treo 750 using the built-in task manager and found out 2 memory readings: Storage Memory and Program Memory. What is the main difference between the two?

Thanks.
    Storage memory is flash ROM space used to permanently store applications built into or downloaded onto the device. If you run out of storage memory, new apps will have to be placed on the mini SD stoarage card. Generally, it is Ok to load (install) all downloaded applications to the storage card EXCEPT for today plug-ins (they reside on your today screen like SPB Pocket Plus or SBSH Pocket Breeze as examples). That's assuming you usually leave your storage card in the device. If you often use a Wi-fi card instead, you may not wan to load frequently used apps to your storage card, since you can only have one card n at a time.

Program memory is RAM - used to run open programs just like RAM on a computer. If you run out of program memory, the device will freeze or attempt to close open programs. For example, you have Pocket Internet Explorer open - fine. Now you also listen to music with Windows Media Player - still ok. Then calendar and email and SMS are all open too. At some point you run low on RAM, since windows doesn't really close programs with the OK key, but minimizes them into the background. There are plenty of free and commercial task managers that allow you to close programs instead of minimizing, if you find you are getting low on RAM consistently. Won't be an issue unless you have many programs open. Of course you can use the tak manager or perform a soft reset to shut everything down as well.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Nice summary Levinda.

One more point, for new users. Pocket IE will fill up program memory with cached files, which don't just clear themselves. So after a bit of surfing, program memory continues to shrink and can cause the device to choke. The simple fix is to open IE and go into tools/options/memory and clear the cache periodically.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html