1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 750 with the following problem:

- only boots up when insert battery/charger
    - boot process stops at Palm logo - but "progress bar" DOES move across screen
    - screen and keyboard stay illuminated until battery flat
    - most keys are not opertional ie. cannot power off using red key - need to remove battery
    - there is no USB connection to my laptop
    - Windows OS is (obviously) not loading

- a soft and hard reset has NO effect
    - BUT , I can access the Updater/Bootloader screen. It displays the following : "Palm Tr IPL-0.20 , SPL-0.22.000 , Serial"
    - I have tried a hard reset AFTER the Bootloader screen but 750 still hangs at Palm logo

I have searched the internet and found very little mention of the above problem - so it can't be very common!! However , I read that the fact that I can access the Bootloader screen is a good sign!!! (I hope so).

Does anybody know what the problem is? Its like the Window OS is missing but the Palm "BIOS" is still operational.

This forum has provided me with a few clues ie. to try using a mini SD card to reload Windows using the Bootloader process. I am currently trying to work out the different image files. Is there a "Bootdisk" file so that you can reformat the memory - ie similar to the limited commands when installing "old" Windows 98 etc - or does the Windows OS image sort everything out??

Why did this problem happen in the first place?

I would be grateful for any ideas. Hopefully my 750 is not a brick!!
    I would definitely try to reload the OS using the bootloader and a SD card.

I'll PM you with a download link for the latest ROM. Make sure to read the instructions (included) before you start.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    What would we do with out Fastlerner, yep the sd method is the way to go.
    Please may I also have the link. I've had this problem for ages and can't resolve. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
  5.    #5  
    Fastlerner - many thanks for your help. I finally got all the "bits" for the Bootloader method and my 750 now seems to have its WM6 OS

The easy part was actually implementing the bootloader method - the hard part was sorting out all the stuff required to do it :

- downloading the WM6 rom image failed 6 times using dial-up (each attempt took 4 hours)
    - a friend used broadband but the CD copy got lost in the post
    - I ordered a mini-SD card but a Compact Flash card was delivered
    - my card reader only works with SD cards so I needed a mini-SD adapter
    - my card reader initially kept coming up with "card write protected"

I eventually sorted out the card reader by padding out the SD card using a few stripes of tape - it looks like a contact on the card reader needs to be pushed in for write protect to be removed but the SD card was not providing enough pressure.[ I had remembered to disable the "lock" switch on the SD card ]

I just have a couple of more questions:

- when you charge from the USB cable , does the red LED eventually turn green when the battery is fully charged - or does this only happen with the mains charger?

- do you actually need to use the mains charger when you are performing the Bootloader method or any ActiveSync sessions - or is it just in case the battery goes flat? I used a "homebrew" mains charger (regulated 5v 1.2A supply) but hopefully I can now just rely on the USB cable and battery power?

- is it possible to completely erase the WM6 OS from the Palm 750 using some key combination? I'm still interested in why I had the "boot process stops at Palm logo" - maybe the previous owner had deleted the OS in order to remove his personal data?

Thanks again.
  6.    #6  
    I've now established that the LED turns green when fully charged when using the USB cable

Any thoughts on the other 2 above questions?

Thanks
    On your second question:
    Any upgrade with bootloader method needs the main charger plugged in. The upgrade method check if the charger is plugged.
    For ActiveSync session, you don't need to plug in the charger to your phone.
    An aside, I prefer to charge the phone with the main charger. I'd like to spare the Athena connector as much as possible. It's a bit delicate as I found out when I had Treo 650.

On your third question, yes it is possible to completely erase WM6 AND the radio firmware. Might take a few hours but your ROM will be as clean as it was BEFORE Palm purchased that ROM chip. Head over to xda-developers.com, search for mtty.exe and look for task2a. It's one way to do it.
    The write protect issue is usually a little toggle on your SD adapter. Easy to overlook as it's not on the mini-SD itself.

Now that you're on WM6, you can charge off your sync cable from any USB power source. A USB car adapter makes your sync cable into an instant car charger.

Power is only required during the bootloader update to prevent corrupting your device due to low power during the ROM write. Technically, you can do the update if you have a fresh full battery, but it's safer to have the external power source. Oh yeah, in bootloader mode, it will not charge off the sync cable either.

No external power is required for any sync operations, although you will be charging automatically if you sync by cable.

There is no key combination I'm aware of to wipe out a ROM. You can wipe your device back to the base ROM, but you can't wipe out the ROM itself. If you wanted to downgrade to WM5 (no clue why you would) you would have to reload that ROM.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the feedback Fastlerner / pdaneophyte.

I noticed that rob777 also has the same problem - so I am not alone

One possible theory for why my 750 stopped at the Palm logo - when I first got the 750 , it was in excellent condition but I noticed that a few of the keys were sticking a bit - the "first press" of certain keys required extra pressure but subsequent presses were OK - although the next day, you had the same issue ie. extra pressure required on the first click. I looked carefully at the keyboard and could see what looked like "roll your own tobacco" wedged in the keys. So I got an old toothbrush and cleaned out the "tobacco". I've not noticed any "sticky" keys since but maybe one of the keys had originally stayed stuck down when some update process was being attemped which caused the OS to become corrupted?? Anyway, just a thought

Thanks again for your help.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlerner View Post
    I would definitely try to reload the OS using the bootloader and a SD card.

I'll PM you with a download link for the latest ROM. Make sure to read the instructions (included) before you start.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    My problem is the exact same problem of the user above, could you please send me the ROM as well. I have tried a hard reset, soft reset, tried to put the original ROM on the card and waited all night and it did not move on the progress bar. I unplugged it finally and removed my card and it still said in progress until the battery went dead.. then I did a soft reset and now I have the rainbow screen .. with some number and the the word serial at the bottom.. Please tell me I did not brick my phone.. Thanks for any help
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 09/03/2008 at 04:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mzkat7 View Post
    My problem is the exact same problem of the user above, could you please send me the ROM as well. I have tried a hard reset, soft reset, tried to put the original ROM on the card and waited all night and it did not move on the progress bar. I unplugged it finally and removed my card and it still said in progress until the battery went dead.. then I did a soft reset and now I have the rainbow screen .. with some number and the the word serial at the bottom.. Please tell me I did not brick my phone.. Thanks for any help
    Fastlerner,

I have the same problem as the users on this thread "http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=164538." Can you please supply me with the rom and what I have to do to get my treo back in business? As a real estate agent, my key to open houses is a program on the phone so you can imagine the agony this brings! Please help! Does anyone else have the ROM and what needs to be done? Thank you so much!!
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 09/03/2008 at 04:15 AM.
    What carrier version do you need? I only have 2.18 (Vodafone South East Asia) & 2.27 ROW. Doesn't Palm site give any downloadable ROM for your carrier?
    Quote Originally Posted by khanhrealestate View Post
    Fastlerner,

I have the same problem as the users on this thread "http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=164538." Can you please supply me with the rom and what I have to do to get my treo back in business? As a real estate agent, my key to open houses is a program on the phone so you can imagine the agony this brings! Please help! Does anyone else have the ROM and what needs to be done? Thank you so much!!
    You can find SD ROMs over at XDA developers. In addition to cooked ROMs, including WM6.1, I found a post with links to most of the different official ROMs. Luckily, as I ran into the same symptoms as described above and fixed them with the ROM reload. WAs this problem due to a virus, poorly written software or bad hardware? Anyone know?
    Palm Pilot->Palm 1000->Palm Vx->Palm VII->Treo 180->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 750->....and then?
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    What carrier version do you need? I only have 2.18 (Vodafone South East Asia) & 2.27 ROW. Doesn't Palm site give any downloadable ROM for your carrier?
    I have an AT&T Treo 750 but I got it unlocked to work with Tmobile, maybe that is why? I'm not sure..

Magicman: What is the website to DL the ROM and what are the steps I need to take to get my phone working again? Please help!
    Quote Originally Posted by khanhrealestate View Post
    I have an AT&T Treo 750 but I got it unlocked to work with Tmobile, maybe that is why? I'm not sure..

Magicman: What is the website to DL the ROM and what are the steps I need to take to get my phone working again? Please help!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=335402

Choose the relevant ROM to match your country and language and download it. Then put the CHEEIMG.NBH file from the zip file in the root directory of a mini-SD card (I have a spare which I used, and had nothing else on it). According to what I have read, you should make sure that the SD card is formatted as FAT32 (use Windows to do that).
    Put the mini-SD in the 750's slot and make sure that you have the phone on AC power (NOT battery). Press and hold the PTT button on the side (underneath the volume buttons) and use your stylus to press the reset button. When 'Loading' shows you can release the PTT button. The screen should be tri-colored, which will change to a screen with a progress bar. Do not touch anything fr 10-20 minutes until the screen shows 'Update Completed'. At this time you can do a HARD reset (hold down power key and press reset button, when asked if you want to erase data, press the up part of the D button for yes). Wait, wait wait and then you will have the relevant ROM on your phone.

Run your restore program in upgrade mode, if you are restoring, to avoid registry issues. As you have a special program on your phone, I sincerely hope that you have a backup, as this procedure will erase ALL data and programs on your phone.

Good luck
    Palm Pilot->Palm 1000->Palm Vx->Palm VII->Treo 180->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 750->....and then?