Page 98 of 104 FirstFirst ... 488893949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2070
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRaven View Post
    The ROWEN version is the Alltel rom. You can backup the exisiting rom using a utility called GrabIt.

You can convert the phone to a true verizon phone by copying the CDMAFirmware.exe file from the verizon 1.24 update to your storage card, and running it. This will update the radio on the phone to the latest verizon radio. However, because palm never released a radio update for the rowen radios, there is no way to go back to the rowen radio after running the verizon CDMAFirmware.exe file.
    Thank you for the reply,

After a buch research (thank you Google) I found out that ROWEN is an acronym for Rest Of World ENglish. I also saw several posts among several forums that ROWEN was mainly used on Alltel phones.

So it seem that UNICEL was using a similar ROM as Alltel.

If understand you correctly I can run the CDMAFirmware.exe like a .CAB file.

My main concern is bricking the phone.
    Has anyone done this?
    The phone does seem to work as well as any Verizon Phone my friends have.
    Would it be a benefit to me to do this?
    Would the original update see the phone as a "Verizon" Model and just push the rom through?

As far as using one of the custom ROMS, it should not make a difference right? Just flash and go?

Thanks for the reply and I will look forward to trying this out this weekend if I feel certain I am not gonna brick it. I know they are noob questions but I always like to double check to see if I am on the right path before I get a hair-brained idea that would not have worked in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Thompson View Post
    Thank you for the reply,

After a buch research (thank you Google) I found out that ROWEN is an acronym for Rest Of World ENglish. I also saw several posts among several forums that ROWEN was mainly used on Alltel phones.

So it seem that UNICEL was using a similar ROM as Alltel.

If understand you correctly I can run the CDMAFirmware.exe like a .CAB file.

My main concern is bricking the phone.
    Has anyone done this?
    The phone does seem to work as well as any Verizon Phone my friends have.
    Would it be a benefit to me to do this?
    Would the original update see the phone as a "Verizon" Model and just push the rom through?

As far as using one of the custom ROMS, it should not make a difference right? Just flash and go?

Thanks for the reply and I will look forward to trying this out this weekend if I feel certain I am not gonna brick it. I know they are noob questions but I always like to double check to see if I am on the right path before I get a hair-brained idea that would not have worked in the first place.
    Running the verizon CDMAFirmware.exe from 1.24 will not brick your phone, however it will require an RTN reset (##RTN#) and your phone will need to be reprovisioned afterwards.

The only advantages would be, your phone would say verizon on the today screen instead of UNICEL, and you would have access to any features (if any) that verizon locks down to just their radios. If your phone is working correctly without the verizon radio, you should stay on the rowen radio.

I would stay with the Alltel custom roms, if you are going to flash your phone. I had issues with EVDO not reconnecting when I was using a verizon rom on my Alltel phone. All you need to do to flash the phone is format you SD card as FAT32, copy only the Napaboth.nb0 file to the SD card, insert the SD card in your phone, disconnect the power cord and remove the battery, re-insert the battery while holding the volume up key, and follow the onscreen prompts. Remember to plug your power cord in after the process starts. That way you dont run your battery dead while flashing. The process takes about 15 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRaven View Post
    Running the verizon CDMAFirmware.exe from 1.24 will not brick your phone, however it will require an RTN reset (##RTN#) and your phone will need to be reprovisioned afterwards.

The only advantages would be, your phone would say verizon on the today screen instead of UNICEL, and you would have access to any features (if any) that verizon locks down to just their radios. If your phone is working correctly without the verizon radio, you should stay on the rowen radio.

I would stay with the Alltel custom roms, if you are going to flash your phone. I had issues with EVDO not reconnecting when I was using a verizon rom on my Alltel phone. All you need to do to flash the phone is format you SD card as FAT32, copy only the Napaboth.nb0 file to the SD card, insert the SD card in your phone, disconnect the power cord and remove the battery, re-insert the battery while holding the volume up key, and follow the onscreen prompts. Remember to plug your power cord in after the process starts. That way you dont run your battery dead while flashing. The process takes about 15 minutes.
    Thank you,
    I am up to speed on how to flash using the Sprint updater of the battery in and up volume loading trick, Thanks for the refreaser though.

I may give this a whirl this weekend.

Also I "grabbed" my ROM of this phone and have it niely tucked away on my computer.

Now I went over to the XDA forums and did a little reading on using it to make a flashable ROM in case i want to restore the one I currently have.
    I did see where a few mwmbwes asked about doing that but Buzz only responded that you should send it to him or some other guy.

Is there a way to cook it in your kitchen tools?

I wanna thank you and ebag333 again for the work on this, you guys are hacks right to the core. Gotta love guys like you.
    Noob here but not comp illiterate..

I have had a 700w for a few years now and now and insurance upgrade wx. I am definitely interested in going wm6.
    I have read through quite a bit of the thread but I would need to sched a vacation to read all of it and the references to the other forums..

BTW awesome job on the development guys..

knowing I could flash it but I'm not much of a cooker as what I have seen does not give me the simple pick and choose then cook type gui.
    So the Q's

Will the automatic updates feature cause any issues when M$ finally gets around to fixing issues we know will be there..lol especially being the OS is not oem on the modded phones.

How about a lite type version...say without windows live or anything else thats just overkill and typically just not normally used.

or is it best to just upgrade with the oem version rom and use a 3rd party app to boost the pagepool to help with speeds.

also I didnt see if I go with NR's 1.1 or 1.2 for a verizion wx...using the specific file for the wx o we still need to delete the radio file first.

Also by chance does anyone know if most of the apps are good to cross between OS's i.e spb weather, phb reg editor, sprite BU, Google Maps, PDA net (but I hear tethering is native to wm6)

Sorry so many Q's.. just want to cover the bases first..

Thanks !!
    For those of you who are on the 1.2 roms, and would like to switch back to the old PIE, do the following.

End Task internet explorer

Change the following registry key.
    To: hklm\security\internet explorer\MSHTML=0

Restart Internet Explorer.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I will keep this relatively short as I know you guys probably pretty busy.

I was told that WM6 would work on my Treo 700W did the upgrade... Needless to say I was not happy with the way that everything took a LONG time to work, everything was pretty much horrible. After wanting to move back I got a WM5 ROM, which I didn't know was a Sprint one.

So now I'm stuck on WM5 with a Sprint ROM - which really isn't that big of a deal but I've lost my ability to use VZW's MMS, which is a big deal.

I've skimmed this thread, and I haven't seen or heard of any mention of a VZW WM5 _with_ MMS on it, only custom ROM's that have been made to look like they were made for Verizon phones.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or has a link to a ROM that has VZW's MMS system on it, I'm sure I can figure the rest out myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreighn View Post
    Noob here but not comp illiterate..

I have had a 700w for a few years now and now and insurance upgrade wx. I am definitely interested in going wm6.
    I have read through quite a bit of the thread but I would need to sched a vacation to read all of it and the references to the other forums..

BTW awesome job on the development guys..

knowing I could flash it but I'm not much of a cooker as what I have seen does not give me the simple pick and choose then cook type gui.
    So the Q's

Will the automatic updates feature cause any issues when M$ finally gets around to fixing issues we know will be there..lol especially being the OS is not oem on the modded phones.

How about a lite type version...say without windows live or anything else thats just overkill and typically just not normally used.

or is it best to just upgrade with the oem version rom and use a 3rd party app to boost the pagepool to help with speeds.

also I didnt see if I go with NR's 1.1 or 1.2 for a verizion wx...using the specific file for the wx o we still need to delete the radio file first.

Also by chance does anyone know if most of the apps are good to cross between OS's i.e spb weather, phb reg editor, sprite BU, Google Maps, PDA net (but I hear tethering is native to wm6)

Sorry so many Q's.. just want to cover the bases first..

Thanks !!
    vreighn,
    I am a verizon 700WX. Here what I did. upgrade to latest verizon ROM (1.24) from Palms website. then download the NightRaven 1.1 for Verizon. follow the steps and YES DELETE THE FIRMWARE.BIN (the verizon 1.24 has the correct radios and will stay on the phone.) everything is slow on first boot. do a soft reset and enjoy. there are only minor problems. I may try to cook something similar and try to correct. otherwise 1.1 is nice.
    OK well I am flashing my 700WX to NR 1.1 ROM.
    have dumped the original ROM o my device using the 2577/autorun grabit program.

Now as I stated this is a UNICEL phone and Verizon Purchased them a while back. it does work fine on the VZW network although I have limited EVDO here and really do not care to test it right now.

Just thought I would swing in and tip my hat to all those who made this possible.

If I have any problems I will run the VZWROM and see if that clears it up.

May give ebags trimmed WM5ROM a go after a little time with WM6.1/ NR 1.1

I would like to get ebags kitchen though as i am more GUI based as far as tweaking anything. I have not used bins and batches and dadada in a long time. the link is there but the download fails and read that the link is invalid.

Anyone re up this or can ebag fix this?
    OK 13 minutes have past and i have seen the white screen with the progress bar and then it went to a black screen but the keypad is still lit up. Has not been quite 15 minutes yet so I am hopeful it is not bricked, will update in 15 more minutes.
    OK waited about 10 minutes and decided it was going to fail, i pulled battery and power and thought well let see what is gonna happen, i slapped the batter back in.................................................................................................. .........................................

Nice beuatiful green screen for WM6.1!!!! HOOO RAH!
    Ok screen still reads UNICEL

Software version is still ROWEN 1.11 So I imagine this is for the Radio?

Performing a ROM upgrade back up with sprite now.

We willsee how this works through the weekend.
    OK I flashed to the Alltel ROM and the Verizon ROM.

currently testing this out.

Can I no longer access web through active sync?
    have tried to open links in email, nothing
    have tried to just open webpages, nothing
    have tried the "windows update", nothing

Is there a setting or something I have missed?
    I would liket to be able to access the net through AS for programs like SPB weather to get on the net to grab info.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    hey would someone mind uploading ebags kitchen again, the 4shared.com link on the first post seems to be invalid

EDIT:
    my goal is to take the original sprint wm5 rom and strip it down. I like ebag's stripped rom, but its got programs that i don't want to use or don't have a need for right now (they are good programs though). The end result i'm looking for is an original sprint rom stripped down to its bare essentials, with no extra programs.

i would then add the threaded sms app for wm5 and probably IM+ for instant messaging.

thank you in advanced. :-)
    Last edited by BOIX; 01/25/2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Ok after playing with thisfor theweekend all i can say is I like it!!!!

Now I got a question or two.

when trying to send a MMS the phone tries to make a broadband connection. Why?
    It starts trying the #777 deal.

If I was to continue to do this what should my settings be?
    It seems I need a user name and password?

I know this question is slightly off ase but seeing we are troubleshooting the new ROMS.......
  15.    #1955  
    It'd be helpful to know what carrier you have.

MMS requires a data connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Thompson View Post
    Ok after playing with thisfor theweekend all i can say is I like it!!!!

Now I got a question or two.

when trying to send a MMS the phone tries to make a broadband connection. Why?
    It starts trying the #777 deal.

If I was to continue to do this what should my settings be?
    It seems I need a user name and password?

I know this question is slightly off ase but seeing we are troubleshooting the new ROMS.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It'd be helpful to know what carrier you have.

MMS requires a data connection.
    Yeah I finally fond that info at HOFO, cant believe Google let me downthere, did the search again and found that I needed Data plan, oh well, did not need that anyway.

I have Verizon as a carrier using a UNICEL phone that I flashed with Verizons radio from the 1.24 update and NR's 1.1 Release.

Hey Ebag, did you ever get the link to your kitchen fixed?
    I could have sworn I put a post up a day or two ago thanking NR for the work that he did to get the wm6 flash all packaged nicely for the 700wx...hmmm. I was wondering is .net 2.0 or 3.5 installed with the 1.2 cab?
    btw I have Sprint.

Just wanted to let you know about a new browser for windows mobile and whatnot called Skyfire. I can't put the link in because I don't have 10 posts yet...

you can download it right to your horn...

much quicker then the new pie...

peace
    Quote Originally Posted by latonaj View Post
    I could have sworn I put a post up a day or two ago thanking NR for the work that he did to get the wm6 flash all packaged nicely for the 700wx...hmmm. I was wondering is .net 2.0 or 3.5 installed with the 1.2 cab?
    .Net 3.5 is built into the all of my roms.
    Quote Originally Posted by latonaj View Post
    btw I have Sprint.

Just wanted to let you know about a new browser for windows mobile and whatnot called Skyfire. I can't put the link in because I don't have 10 posts yet...

you can download it right to your horn...

much quicker then the new pie...

peace
    Only problem with Skyfire, is that is renders all of the pages on Skyfires servers. This is a big privacy concern. Their privacy statement says they capture your browsing trends and sell the data to third parties.