Page 8 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon.Epps View Post
    Yes, I even wrote down the settings for #*#000000 (NAM Settings for Treo) and they did not change.
    Actually I just read that the version number gets updated if you leave the card in there AFTER you resetup (do the screen adjustment thing) WM.

As I'm Sprint, I have no way of testing that.

A little tip: If you are stuck at the Treo screen just wait. Try a hard reset and leave the phone plugged in. It most likely isn't bricked but it can take up to an hour or more to start.
    If you're stuck at the Treo screen you should be OK since the bootloader probably worked. I'd just reflash myself.
    Wait... I misunderstood the question. I thought it was the NAM settings. What do you mean by Verizon Version? If you mean TREO700W_-1.22-VZW then yes same serial and phone number and 3g email
  3.    #143  
    NEW NEWS!

(Hmm, that's a bit redundant.)

Two bits of new news, and one request at the end.

1) I've updated my kitchen. The file size got two big for hosting here on Treo Central. There were 97 downloads by the time I moved it to 4 Shared. I'm not sure if I should be honored, or scared.

I've added two incredibly powerful and incredibly useful tools. The first is rgu (or reg) two (cleverly written as 2) xml. What the heck does that mean?! Well, basically you can steal something out of a registry dump or from an RGU file, run it through the rgu2xml program, then put it into a .PROVXML file. Like for example this is exactly how I created my Redfly settings from a registry dump.

The other tool is UPX. This allows you to shrink .EXE and .DLL files. A couple words of warning:

1) if it doesn't work (IE: you flash and it won't run the file or you can't boot WM) try compressing it with compress_norelocs. This is an alternate method that will likely let you compress what you were looking to compress in the start.

2) Not all files will work when compressed.

3) Be careful with .DLL's! If you compress the DLL it will load the entire DLL into memory, not a problem when running once. But if more than one is run at a time you'll have a smaller ROM footprint (or at least more stuff in ROM) but you'll eat up your RAM. I've chosen to not try and compress most DLL's, due to this issue. It's mostly the .EXE's that eat up the space anyway.

They are powerful tools, use them wisely, grasshopper.

Second piece of news!

My new trimmed ROM is up! Couple of changes from the first one.

1) More useless files removed. I'm up to around 350ish useless files removed.
    2) UPX! I've compressed many of the bigger programs (including that pesky 2 meg PPT file).
    3) Some default enhancements. Including most of the enhancements from the previous Take 1 ROM. I've not included Sprite Backup or the PDF viewer, both were having some issues, but all other programs are included.

This ROM is designed to be built off of, it's not designed as a complete ROM! So there may be some minor things that need adjusting (for example Sprite Backup still has a shortcut in it).

See the attachment for how much free ROM there is for your own files (ToDelete - ToAdd = Free Space Size). Yes, those numbers are correct.

I am working on a "full" ROM which will hopefully include a lot of nifty little programs. But I'm impatient and decided not to many anyone who wants to cook up their own ROM wait any longer.

Oh, and little tip, if you UPX your files/DLL's (assuming they can be UPX'd), that space will go a long ways.

Download: http://www.4shared.com/file/48380716..._-_Take_2.html

Finally, a request.

I would like to have these files mirrored somewhere incase I get hit by a bus (or, lets face it, more likely get bored and forget about this ).

If someone wants to mirror these files somewhere, even if it's their own 4 shared account, I would be very much appreciative. I don't like being the only source of these files for various reasons.

I lied, I have a second request.

Can someone post the default Verizon phone on/off image files (they are in BMP format)? No ROM cooking/dumping needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ebag333; 05/21/2008 at 01:11 AM.
  4.    #144  
    Sorry for the double post (okay, not really), but a piece of news that really deserves it's own post as it's not related to the above.

I'm looking for one (1) or two (2) people to help me with the WM5 + WM6 crossbreeding program. DO NOT E-MAIL, MESSAGE, OR OTHERWISE BUG ME WITHOUT MEETING THE REQUIREMENTS BELOW.

Requirements:

1) You must have a 700w or 700wx (duh?).
    2) You must know how to cook a ROM (including understanding the initflashfiles.dat and PROVXML's).
    3) You must be able to work on your own. Don't expect me to hand you a finished and working WM6 ROM.

If you're interested, contact me (contact details are in my profile). Word of warning, I'm going to ask for a cooked (finished) ROM that installs a (runnable) program (and no, you can't just use one of the ones from my ROM :P ), and installs a shortcut to said program (VIA initflashfiles.dat or PROVXML). Bonus points if you use both the initflashfiles and PROVXML's.

Why the draconian test? Well, because ever since I've posted the phrase "working WM6 on a Treo 700wx" I've gotten over half a dozen of e-mails, messages, PM's, etc of people asking if they can have it. The answer is no.
    Ebag333, IE keeps on crashing on "Take 2"...?
    ----

With original Bell/Telux 700wx rom, Opera 8.65 (I am confused by the beta 9.33, 9.50 versions), was working with
    full screen drag, options menu can select stuff.. etc, but after using Ebag333's rom, opera 8.65 became "full screen", with
    both the soft keys 'text' missing.., can't screen drag, options menu not work anymore.

So I tried to flash back my version of 700wx.. but it still did not fix the problem.

Is there any way to 'reset' the registry? as ebag333 said the phone is not 'fully erased' with a 'flashing procedure',
    the problem is how can I factory reset the unit? or restore the registry from some other non-flashed machine?

Anyway my Bell/Telus rom attached here might be useful.?

---
    http://www.4shared.com/file/48389713...ified=cf3a628d
    Last edited by kocoman; 05/21/2008 at 03:28 AM.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
  6.    #146  
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    Ebag333, IE keeps on crashing on "Take 2"...?
    Yeah. PIEPlus didn't like being compressed.

I put the uncompressed DLL's back, and now it works fine. Need to reupload that version.

With original Bell/Telux 700wx rom, Opera 8.65 (I am confused by the beta 9.33, 9.50 versions), was working with
    full screen drag, options menu can select stuff.. etc, but after using Ebag333's rom, opera 8.65 became "full screen", with
    both the soft keys 'text' missing.., can't screen drag, options menu not work anymore.

So I tried to flash back my version of 700wx.. but it still did not fix the problem.

Is there any way to 'reset' the registry? as ebag333 said the phone is not 'fully erased' with a 'flashing procedure',
    the problem is how can I factory reset the unit? or restore the registry from some other non-flashed machine?
    You could try a hard reset.

Are you using Opera full, or Opera mini?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

I put the uncompressed DLL's back, and now it works fine. Need to reupload that version.

You could try a hard reset.

Are you using Opera full, or Opera mini?
    Opera Full

I think the problem is from some registry patch that remains "set" even after a hard reset? I am still new to WM world .. just a guess
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
  8.    #148  
    Opera Full

I think the problem is from some registry patch that remains "set" even after a hard reset? I am still new to WM world .. just a guess
    None of the registry patches that I did should effect it.

When I get a chance I'll try and remember to install it and test it out.
    @ Ebag

Here are the Verizon images you requested. Also, do you have a new list of what was further stripped out of your new and improved Take 2 ROM? Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Well I just flashed my VZW phone and all is going well. I am just using the original stripped ROM. To that I added the VZW images and what I thought was the SDHC compatability. I added the two dlls that the sdhc.cab file installs. Unfortunately, that did not work, so I have to reinstall that. The rest is smoking fast though.

I am really looking forward to what you can figure out for the SDHC stuff from the WM6 ROM.

Oh yeah, I can confirm this is working on a VZW phone. Just delete the firmware.bin file, replace the NapaBoth.nb0 file and you are money.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    @ Ebag

Here are the Verizon images you requested. Also, do you have a new list of what was further stripped out of your new and improved Take 2 ROM? Thanks.
    Thanks for the images. I am going to create custom welcome and goodbye images since I was never a huge fan of Verizon's. I'd rather have my company logo and contact information for that image.
    I'm looking for one (1) or two (2) people to help me with the WM5 + WM6 crossbreeding program.
    I totally understand why you are doing the requirements because you don't want any fool taking your work and then expecting you to conduct school to teach them how to use it! I will let you know if I am in. I want to be 100% comfortable before offically joining the team. I am on vacation this week, flying to LA. Maybe I will do some cooking at 35,000 feet
    I obtained a Samsung i760 (this phone blows). If anyone wants WM6 stuff off of it, let me know. At the very least, I am going to grab all the sound files and dump the registry.
    Okay. I have been playing with this for a little while. I have put the Sprint ROM on the VZW phone. Here is what I can report.

The Software Version stayed as TREO700WX_-1.22-VZW, so that is confirmed.

Some of the stuff is different though. For example the PIE seems different. I can come to TreoCentral, but I can not logon because the Log In button is just shown as text and not as an actual button. I don't know if there is a setting or reg hack to change this or not. That is just the first thing I noticed. I am sure there are other subtle differences.

For kicks and giggles, I took the Sprint .nb0 file and my VZW dump.bin file. I dumped them both to imgfs_raw and imgfs_removed files. I found some slight differences in the file sizes. I have noted them below.

Sprint
    imgfs_raw = 58,968 KB
    imgfs_removed = 936 KB

VZW
    imgfs_raw = 59472 KB
    imgfs_removed = 944 KB

They both found the same offset for the imgfs files though at 00500000.

My initial thought was to run Ebag's first batch file, which tears down the ROM and moves the .nb0 to Original. That would leave me with the imgfs files for cooking. I could overwrite the Sprint files with the VZW files and then build it back up with the Sprint .nb0 file in the original folder. Unfortunately, I do not think it is going to be that easy.

Just thought I would report this back. If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.
    Finally, a request.

I would like to have these files mirrored somewhere incase I get hit by a bus (or, lets face it, more likely get bored and forget about this ).

If someone wants to mirror these files somewhere, even if it's their own 4 shared account, I would be very much appreciative. I don't like being the only source of these files for various reasons.
    I'd be happy to mirror this project for you. I can give you ftp access and a directory on my Web server and you can go from there. Email me if you're interested.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Okay. I already had 4shared login, so that I could download Ebag's stuff. So I put a stock VZW ROM on there that I got via a grab_it ROM dump. Seems to have all of the same files and looks identical to the Sprint ROM Dump from the .nb0 file. I hope this will be useful for Ebag and the restof you smarter folk.

http://www.4shared.com/file/48424020..._ROM_Dump.html
    I would like to help with ur project Ebag, Im new to this subject, but am willing to learn and do all I can.

Quick question I dumped my ROM from my treo, how do I take the dump.bin and make the nb0 file needed for the SD card flashing.

I also can mirror to mediafire. They are really great as long as it is less than 100MB.

And thanks to larryo for the Radio images
    Quick question I dumped my ROM from my treo, how do I take the dump.bin and make the nb0 file needed for the SD card flashing.
    I have been searching all over xda to determine if that is even possible. I am not sure that it is. That's kind of what I was getting at with my post above. Get the imgfs files from the .nb0, replace with the VZW imgfs (which I have from my dump) and then make it back to an .nb0. The imgfs file sizes are different though, so I am not sure it will work. The offset for the imgfs dumps was the same though. I don't know for sure if it would work though. I was hoping someone who knew more would chime in.

Safe to download yet?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by fleiscpj View Post
    I totally understand why you are doing the requirements because you don't want any fool taking your work and then expecting you to conduct school to teach them how to use it! I will let you know if I am in. I want to be 100% comfortable before offically joining the team. I am on vacation this week, flying to LA. Maybe I will do some cooking at 35,000 feet
    Back porting from WM6 is *WAY* more complex than cooking a ROM. Like, crazy complex. So yeah, pretty much what you said.

The Software Version stayed as TREO700WX_-1.22-VZW, so that is confirmed.
    In my new ROM I have a Mortscript to switch between Verizon and Sprint versions. (So I can use the Verizon only Sudoku. )

Some of the stuff is different though. For example the PIE seems different. I can come to TreoCentral, but I can not logon because the Log In button is just shown as text and not as an actual button. I don't know if there is a setting or reg hack to change this or not. That is just the first thing I noticed. I am sure there are other subtle differences.
    PIEPlus adds some subtle differences. On my latest version (which shouldn't really be any different than any version I had PIEPlus in) TreoCentral works just fine.

For kicks and giggles, I took the Sprint .nb0 file and my VZW dump.bin file. I dumped them both to imgfs_raw and imgfs_removed files. I found some slight differences in the file sizes. I have noted them below.

My initial thought was to run Ebag's first batch file, which tears down the ROM and moves the .nb0 to Original. That would leave me with the imgfs files for cooking. I could overwrite the Sprint files with the VZW files and then build it back up with the Sprint .nb0 file in the original folder. Unfortunately, I do not think it is going to be that easy.
    The .nb0 and dump.bin files are created differently, so its expected to have different file sizes.

If you hve a dump of your dump.bin, you can easily add files to the Sprint ROM. Simply drag and drop what files you want to add into the \Cooking\ToAdd\ directory. Don't forget that you have to remove them first! (via \Cooking\ToRemove\)

Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    I'd be happy to mirror this project for you. I can give you ftp access and a directory on my Web server and you can go from there. Email me if you're interested.
    E-mail from your profile doesn't work.

Look me up on one of the IM's (I added you on AIM) or e-mail me at ebagola [at] gmail <dot> <youknowtherest>. (Oh spam engines, how I hate you!)

I do not recommend this, I believe you'll brick your phone if you try. (Not past the point of recovery, but I doubt WM will load.)

I also can mirror to mediafire. They are really great as long as it is less than 100MB.
    If you want to throw them up there, feel free. Just post the link back here so I can add it to the list of links. I just don't have time right now to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Safe to download yet?
    You can download it, but you'll have to do one of three things.

1) Stop PIEPlus from registering (delete the reg_ files, or modify initflashfiles.dat so they don't get put into \Windows\Startup\).
    2) (What I did) replace the PIEPlus .DLL's with the originals.
    3) Use another browser instead of PIE.

I ran out of time last night to get a stripped version done, I hope to have it up tonight.