Page 6 of 104 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
    So when you got WM6 working, did the BT work better (voice activation)?
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    I thought I remember you mentioning that about the Mogul. Was the WM6 ROM stripped similar to your WM5 ROM? If not, can you strip it and gain some performance? How did the WM6 ROM compare to the standard WM5 ROM?
    I did a quick strip and didn't see the same performance gains as I saw with WM5. I suspect that either I'm seeing the max performance already due to tweaks made, or else WM6 doesn't loop through the \Windows\ dir like WM5 does (thus slowing it down).

The quick stripped version of WM6 feels to me about the same speed as WM5 stock. The default version I'm using feels a bit slower, but suprisingly not by that much.

The stripped WM5 is definatly faster, and I will probably stick with that in the long run, especially if I can port some of the WM6 files back to WM5. The main ones I'd like to port back are high density card support, threaded messaging, and Office (mostly because switching to another PPT will save over a meg alone).

While WM6 "felt" nicer, and certainly was prettier, I'm definatly for functional > aesthetics. Kinda like when you switch WinXP from the Windows XP style to the Windows Classic (ALA Win2k) style. It doesn't feel as pretty, but everything works and responds just a bit quicker.

I still need to do some diff's of the two dump directories (WM5 vs WM6) and figure out what exactly got changed. It's kinda hard because the WM6 I'm using doesn't have a lot of Palm's overlays on it, while obviously the WM5 does. (Plus of course the \Windows\ dir is one giant jumbled mess.)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    So when you got WM6 working, did the BT work better (voice activation)?
    I don't have a BT headset to test. Anyone wanna buy me one so I can test it? (Buy me an HD card to test too while you're at it.)
    don't excpect voice activation via bluetooth. In fact, it just won't happen. A wm6 newer bluetooth stack might help the problems we all have with bt but the voice activation is hardware limited on the 700wx, not software. Hannip's bluetooth stack for a2dp is probably the best we're going to get with bt on the wx.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini13 View Post
    Hannip's bluetooth stack for a2dp is probably the best we're going to get with bt on the wx.
    That's included in the latest patches for both Verizon and Sprint.
    Nice Progress with this ebag....

The one thing I would want on my WM5 Treo is the new Outlook, and luck getting this to work.
    Hmm that's interesting with the WM6 rom. What device did it come from? I would like to test WM6 on a verizon one. What modifications would I have to make/what rom should I use?
    Thanks for all your hard work,
    Landon
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon.Epps View Post
    What modifications would I have to make/what rom should I use?
    As there isn't a WM6 ROM ready for release....none.
    Without Palm's overlays within the WM6 rom, I can tell you guys, the WM6 rom will be almost worthless in it's current form...

That is what makes the w,wx,v Treo series special... the secret sauce.
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    That is what makes the w,wx,v Treo series special... the secret sauce.
    I can't disagree there. There is really nothing super-special about WM6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The stripped WM5 is definatly faster, and I will probably stick with that in the long run, especially if I can port some of the WM6 files back to WM5. The main ones I'd like to port back are high density card support, threaded messaging, and Office (mostly because switching to another PPT will save over a meg alone).
    That is exactly what I want. I am hoping you can figure that out.
    What is ebag's secret sauce i saw it on the download page?
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon.Epps View Post
    What is ebag's secret sauce i saw it on the download page?
    Beta version of my take 1. I was going to strip out PIEPlus for the take 1, but then figured that since it doesn't registered itself I'd leave it in. Darth Pooh helped me test (and fix) a few things, though suprisingly there were few problems....
    ...especially if I can port some of the WM6 files back to WM5. The main ones I'd like to port back are high density card support, threaded messaging, and Office (mostly because switching to another PPT will save over a meg alone)...
    Plus PocketOutlook??

That would be fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    Plus PocketOutlook??

That would be fantastic.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that be part of Office?
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that be part of Office?
    Nope. Totally different.
    Plus PocketOutlook??

That would be fantastic.
    Okay, getting greedy now, but the new ActiveSync would also be valuable.

Hmmm... maybe it would be easier to just use the whole WM 6.1 package.
    Nope. Totally different.
    Okay. Thanks.

Hmmm... maybe it would be easier to just use the whole WM 6.1 package.
    Ebag tried WM6 and he feels that a stripped WM5 with WM6 components ported backwards would be better.
  18.    #118  
    Whats so special about the new ActiveSync?
    I can't disagree there. There is really nothing super-special about WM6.
    I know it's just aesthetic, but I know WM6 on HTC StarTrek (the non-touchscreen smartphone) has a pertier GUI and home screen layouts.

Do those port over?
    Hey Ebag333,

Finally got around to trying your trimmed standard rom..

Freaking ridiculous.

I was expecting it to be fast but dayyum...it's lighting fast (even more so when you some reg tweaks, or just do the MemMaid ones).

I think a WM5/WM6 hybrid (as discussed above) would be a fantastic option.

Because of this, I hereby give Ebag's Custom ROM for the 700wx Malatesta's 2008 Seal of Approval:

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter