Page 52 of 104 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2070
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    IF, and only if you really want to, my Paypal is: ebagola (at) gmail <

Dude, you are so the man! You deserve every penny that people send you! I just shot you a couple bucks! I apprecaite everything you've done!

Thanks!

Zimmy6996
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I do accept food VIA mail.

Especially if it's an overnighted authentic Chicago-style deep dish pizza....ohhh, they're so good!

Dang, now I'm hungry.

AMEN BROTHER! I shot you a couple bucks tonight. So you've got my e-mail address. Shoot me a mailing address for you, and I'll gladly shoot you some deep dish pizza from Chi-town! Lou's can be overnighted!
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Ebag,

I use this code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shell]
    "TBOpt"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\nls\overrides]
    "SSDte"="M/d/yy "
    "STFmt"="h:mm tM"
    "S2359"="Pm"
    "S1159"="Am"

As a .reg file. In the past I have used resco registry to import it. Is there a way to use that regeditor you already have on the rom?

BTW, I have no issues using Sherweb exchange on the new ROM (TESTING 5) it all works great!.

Let me rephrase that, I am trying to use your own registry editor, I did not install Resco. I was curious how I could import a standard WM6 *.reg file?
    BTW, I am having the SD disapearing card happening. A softreset fixes it for a little while.

Any ideas what thats related to?
    i had my sd card disappear once so far on testing 5 version.
    I had the sd card vanish as well. Seemed to be most common after a program install. i copied the install .CAB for the program on the sd card and it tended to lose the storage card after the install finished.
  7.    #1027  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    Why this is important is that if you use the first method, the programs are in the ROM, but the initflashfiles and provxml, will move the programs to RAM and put them where they are supposed to be. The second method will keep everything in ROM and leave your full RAM available. At least that is how I think it works.
    You're confusing RAM with memory.

Think of the storage like your hard drive. Think of RAM as..well...RAM.

Anyway, what Larry's trying to say is that with the first method, you'll have a copy of the program in \Windows\ and a copy in \Program Files\PROGRAM\ (where PROGRAM is whatever your program's name is). So you use up storage memory (think hard drive).

With the second memory it runs it out of \Windows\ and it stays in ROM.

Neither method will effect RAM.

It's important to note the difference for two reasons.

1) Some programs won't run well in ROM. They'll just do weird things (not save settings, won't run, etc).

2) If you ever want to upgrade the program, it will try and upgrade it in the Windows directory (which probably will cause problems) or might install a second copy into the \Program Files\ directory (meaning you have two copies).

The first problem you just have to test and see if it works or not. Some will, some won't.

For the second, simply don't keep anything in the \Windows\ directory if you're going to update it. Either move it out of \Windows\ (via initflashfiles.dat or PROVXML), or don't put it in your ROM.

As an example, the Registry Editor I included hasn't been updated in 2 years. It's not likely to suddenly have a big update. It works fine in ROM, so I threw it in.

On the other hand, Google Maps requires lots of temp files, and is updated like once a month. So it's a poor choice to go into ROM.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    BTW, I am having the SD disapearing card happening. A softreset fixes it for a little while.

Any ideas what thats related to?
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini13 View Post
    i had my sd card disappear once so far on testing 5 version.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlarma View Post
    I had the sd card vanish as well. Seemed to be most common after a program install. i copied the install .CAB for the program on the sd card and it tended to lose the storage card after the install finished.
    Okay, here's my experience and what I've learned from researching this.

90% of the time, the problems that folks have with their memory cards disappearing is due to cheap cards.

In my own experience, I've used 3 different types of SanDisk cards (one one gig, two different types of two gigs). With WM5 and all WM6 ROM's except Testing 3 and Testing 4, I very rarely lost my card. Every once in a great while it would disappear however, even under totally stock WM5.

With Testing 2 and Testing 3, I would lose my card one to two times per day, so obviously something was wrong there (and I tracked it down to an incompatible SD card driver).

Now I've confirmed with several people who are using cheap cards that they would lose their cards maybe once a day with the WM6 ROM's (this was prior to Testing 5) except for 3 and 4, where they would lose it more often (8 to 10).

If you went out and bought a no-name card for $10, you get what you pay for. *shrug*

Now that being said, I've been using my Testing 5 for nearly a week now. I've reflashed a few times, but not much as I've been busy on other stuff, so it's really being used. It hasn't lost the SD card once.

I know that doesn't really help for me to say "go buy a new SD card", because the little suckers are expensive. But it's made a world of difference in my experience. Additionally, I've read quite a few threads where people have tracked down similar problems on other devices to the exact same problem.

Finally, the one person that I'm aware of who completely bricked his device (beyond the point of recovery) was using a cheap SD card, which went bad in the middle of the flash. Flashing using a cheap SD card *HUGELY* increases your risks.

Keep in mind that I've flashed my device probably more times than the rest of you combined. I've *NEVER* had a bad flash due to my SD card. (Me doing stupid stuff, sure. )

I feel 100% confident in SanDisk cards, and frankly they're the only ones I'll ever buy after seeing that cheap card go bad and brick the device, and seeing problems other folks are having with cheap cards. Saving $20 isn't worth it to me if I brick a $500 phone.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 07/19/2008 at 11:56 AM.
    Great points Ebag. So far I've been running testing 5 for a few days and it only lost the sd card once. Mine was indeed a cheapy 1 gig that I got a year ago for 5 bucks. It's an 'EP memory, mobile sotrage secure digital 1 gb' card made in taiwan. I think you're right; you get what you pay for.

Have you had any luck with internet sharing and using your evdo connection?
    Since I'm a VZW 700wx user I decided to replace the RadioWelcome.bmp and RadioGoodbye.bmp with the official looking VZW ones. Though it would have been easier to just grab them off a WM5 phone I actually made these in Photoshop...close enough IMHO.

Download to your SD card and copy them to the root of Windows on the phone using Resco Explorer. It will prompt you with the customary "this is a rom file blah blah blah" crap. Overwrite and you will have the RadioWelcome and RadioGoodbye for VZW.

Ebags many thanks for the wm6 rom!! First time I've ever cooked my Rom. I've since cooked two of my friend's 700wx's with this rom!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hey guys... I missed out on all the fun and got an 800wx

In the process of provisioning the old/outdated/obsolete 700wx on my girlfriend's account (just kidding....I'm probably going to want to trade her!)

Anyway got a chance to give it to her w/ a fancy new ROM. Not into modding anything myself. What's the rec for a noob: The testing 5? What's the difference between that, the wm6 stripped, and wm6 full?

Thanks
    ebag - my sd card is a sandisk ultra II 1GB. It is a very solid card and has the little flippy thing so I can put it right into a USB port, which is very cool and handy when I am modifying your ROM and doing the ol' try, try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by akenis View Post
    Hey guys... I missed out on all the fun and got an 800wx

What's the difference between that, the wm6 stripped, and wm6 full?

Thanks
    the stripped rom is just that ... it has no customized programs or settings and is just like you would get from your cellphone provider basically an OEM version...

the full rom is a customized version that has added programs and features as well as some files and features from the OEM version removed
    Last edited by captblaze; 07/19/2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: poor grammar
  13.    #1033  
    Quote Originally Posted by mlarma View Post
    ebag - my sd card is a sandisk ultra II 1GB. It is a very solid card and has the little flippy thing so I can put it right into a USB port, which is very cool and handy when I am modifying your ROM and doing the ol' try, try again.
    I wasn't pick on you mlarma.

Yours just happened to be one of three posts in a row about the SD cards disappearing, and I wanted to make sure that it was clear as to a very likely reason why they are disappearing. Your post made a nice reference, no more, no less.
    I loaded Testing 5 last night and have not had any issues with my ScanDisk SD card.

This is the best ROM yet.
    A couple of things with Testing 2:
    1) There is no indicator for upper/lowercase and special characters...
    2) My background image on the today screen doesn't scale to fit... I think this was automatic on WM5, maybe it's a registry setting?
    3) Pocket Internet Explorer crashes clean alot, mostly when I try to scroll before the page is done loading... It also doesn't render like the version in WM5...
    4) Where's the native picture browser?
    Just some notes... Otherwise it's awesome... The install was a breeze. Thanks to all who worked on getting this together!

And a note: The 4 gig SD card has been very stable, I haven't lost it once. I used to lose it about every 2 weeks on the stock ROM.
    Last edited by joecacti; 07/20/2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Adding stuff
  16.    #1036  
    Quote Originally Posted by joecacti View Post
    A couple of things with Testing 2:
    Testing 2 has been superceded by Testing 5.

Quote Originally Posted by joecacti View Post
    1) There is no indicator for upper/lowercase and special characters...
    2) My background image on the today screen doesn't scale to fit... I think this was automatic on WM5, maybe it's a registry setting?
    3) Pocket Internet Explorer crashes clean alot, mostly when I try to scroll before the page is done loading... It also doesn't render like the version in WM5...
    4) Where's the native picture browser?
    1) No problems with this in any ROM I've used.
    2) I've always used the default backgrounds.
    3) No crashes from PIE.

Sounds like you may have a bad flash. Did you follow the instructions properly (hard resets and all)? Did you do a restore after flashing?

4) It's in a subfolder now (Media IIRC).
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    As an added piece of data, I have had zero SD card problems with version 5 but had tons with version 4...same SD card too...
  18.    #1038  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post
    As an added piece of data, I have had zero SD card problems with version 5 but had tons with version 4...same SD card too...
    Testing 3 and 4 had an incompatible driver. I rolled the driver back to Testing 2 in Testing 5..
    I know this is probably posted in this thread somewhere, but I don't have time to read through that much stuff. Is there a listing somewhere of the known issues with the testing roms? I'm sure they're slowly disappearing with each new test rom, but what are the main problems that remain? I've seen mentions of problems with IE (slow loading, crashing, etc), SD card issues, network setup problems, and minor others, but it's hard to tell which version each person is using and if they are confirmed problems or just individual issues. I saw the mobileroms.com web site, which looks like a good start, but it doesn't appear to be very active yet.

BTW... I don't even have a 700wx yet, but I've ordered two of them off of Ebay after reading this upgrade capability exists. Thanks to all of you that have been working on this. It really reminds me of the fun everyone was having with the 650 when Shadowmite and cohorts opened it up for custom roms!
    i have a new issue, all my oem ring tones are located in the windows directory but can't be added to the list for notifications. I got a few to work because they are labeled as wav files. i actually don't want them but a friend of mine does and I am at a loss as to what else to try. Me and him are using the testing 2 rom. Any ideas?