Page 5 of 104 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    DO I need to put the original files in the To Delete folder and the new files in the To Add folder? Or do I simply put the files I want in the To Add folder and it will overwrite the originals? Thanks.
    Well, it will add the new ones if you don't delete the old ones, but it adds them a second time and you get unexpected results. Not recommended.

You have to delete the originals before you can add the new ones. That's why Delete is a higher step than Add.

But yes, you simple place the files you want in \ToAdd\, the files you want to remove in \ToDelete\, and then your imgfs files should be updated properly.

For modules (files that are in a folder when you do a dump, the folder name is the same as the file name) I always create a text file in \ToDelete\, rename it to module.ext (such as pwo.dll or messaging.exe, etc). That way I have the "file" in \ToDelete\ (all the script cares about is the name, it doesn't have to be the same file size) and I can sort the folder by size to see what I'm deleting by module (file size of 0) and what's sitting in there from the windows directory itself.

You can play with it a few times by dumping the imgfs, running the add batch script, running the delete batch script, then redumping (after renaming the orginal dump folder) and seeing the difference between the two.

I still do not recommend making changes directly to the dump folder and then recompiling the dump folder back to an imgfs file. I've had mixed success with that, which is a shame, because it'd make it a lot easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Well, it will add the new ones if you don't delete the old ones, but it adds them a second time and you get unexpected results. Not recommended.

You have to delete the originals before you can add the new ones. That's why Delete is a higher step than Add.

But yes, you simple place the files you want in \ToAdd\, the files you want to remove in \ToDelete\, and then your imgfs files should be updated properly.

For modules (files that are in a folder when you do a dump, the folder name is the same as the file name) I always create a text file in \ToDelete\, rename it to module.ext (such as pwo.dll or messaging.exe, etc). That way I have the "file" in \ToDelete\ (all the script cares about is the name, it doesn't have to be the same file size) and I can sort the folder by size to see what I'm deleting by module (file size of 0) and what's sitting in there from the windows directory itself.

You can play with it a few times by dumping the imgfs, running the add batch script, running the delete batch script, then redumping (after renaming the orginal dump folder) and seeing the difference between the two.

I still do not recommend making changes directly to the dump folder and then recompiling the dump folder back to an imgfs file. I've had mixed success with that, which is a shame, because it'd make it a lot easier.
    Your last paragraph answered my last question. So if I know the names of the files I want to delete and add, then I do not actually have to dump the rom. I can work it all from the imgfs files right?

Here is what I am trying to accomplish for now. I am trying to add sdbus.dll and sdmemory.dll for the SDHC and then the RadioWelcome and RadioGoodbye images back to Verizon.

So in order to do this. I put the files in the "ToAdd" folder and then create the text files with the same names in the "ToRemove" folder. Run the ToRemove batch file, then the ToAdd batch file. Then rebuild it back to the .nb0 and flash. Do I have this right? Sorry for the multitude of questions.
    I Successfully flashed my (Sprint) Treo 700wx with Ebag's example ROM and I'm wondering if anyone else out there has created a ROM using the Kitchen utility and would like to share their results?
  4.    #84  
    So in order to do this. I put the files in the "ToAdd" folder and then create the text files with the same names in the "ToRemove" folder. Run the ToRemove batch file, then the ToAdd batch file. Then rebuild it back to the .nb0 and flash. Do I have this right? Sorry for the multitude of questions.
    Yup, you got it.

Creating the text file names in the \ToRemove\ is optional, you can also drag/drop the files (NOT the folders, but the files inside the folder) into the \ToRemove\ directory. Whichever is easier and makes more sense for you. The script that adds\deletes won't recognize folders in the \ToAdd\ and \ToRemove\ folders (which is actually something I like, since then I can have multiple folders in there for different testing purposes or historical purposes).
    Last edited by Ebag333; 05/15/2008 at 04:09 PM.
    Okay. Sorry again, but I am having trouble. The batch files do not seem to be working for me. I can run the first one on the .nb0 file and get the imgfs, but it does not create the .nb0 original folder. So when i try to rebuild the ROM it says it can't.

The second problem is that I can remove the stuff just fine, but it does not want to add the two .dll's I want to put in.

So as a last ditch effort, I just used the tools located in the \Tools\ROM\ folder via a command prompt. It all went well there. I got the imgfs files out of the .nb0. I deleted the 4 files and added my 4 files back. However, after doing this I dumped the ROM to see if the changes got made. The graphic files updated fine. The dll's though, are in the ROM, but don't get extracted to folders like the rest of the dll's.

Can I just dump the ROM and replace the files I want in the dump and then just rebuild it all.

Also, in the SD Updater download, acoording to waffles, I need to delete the firmware.bin file. I am assuming I also need to ditch the firmware.md5. Will I need a new .md5 for the .nb0 file? Also, do I need to remove the firmware files in the 2577 folder. Alternatively, could waffles provide an SD updater sip file that includes only what I need to flash my VZW phone.

Thanks for all the help fellas and for bearing with me through this. It is much appreciated.
  6.    #86  
    Okay. Sorry again, but I am having trouble. The batch files do not seem to be working for me. I can run the first one on the .nb0 file and get the imgfs, but it does not create the .nb0 original folder. So when i try to rebuild the ROM it says it can't.
    The first batch script should move the .nb0 file out of \Cooking\ and into \Cooking\Original\. If it's not doing that, check to make sure that you've got everything in the right places.

The second problem is that I can remove the stuff just fine, but it does not want to add the two .dll's I want to put in.

So as a last ditch effort, I just used the tools located in the \Tools\ROM\ folder via a command prompt. It all went well there. I got the imgfs files out of the .nb0. I deleted the 4 files and added my 4 files back. However, after doing this I dumped the ROM to see if the changes got made. The graphic files updated fine. The dll's though, are in the ROM, but don't get extracted to folders like the rest of the dll's.
    Files you add will not be added as modules (in a folder in the dump). Modules are special, they can't be replaced directly or updated. The best you an do is remove (delete) a module and re-add it as a normal file.

So yor DLL's will show up in the dump folder, and not in their own folder as a module.

Can I just dump the ROM and replace the files I want in the dump and then just rebuild it all.
    You can. I don't recommend it however due to errors and odd behaviour I've gotten.

Also, in the SD Updater download, acoording to waffles, I need to delete the firmware.bin file. I am assuming I also need to ditch the firmware.md5. Will I need a new .md5 for the .nb0 file? Also, do I need to remove the firmware files in the 2577 folder. Alternatively, could waffles provide an SD updater sip file that includes only what I need to flash my VZW phone.
    You shouldn't need the firmware.md5. The md5 files are a checksum that the updater uses to check the filesize and date of the files it's flashing, that's why the ROM file does not change in date or file size even when you modify it. So no, you don not need a new .md5 for the .nb0 file.

I don't know the answer to your question about the firmware files in the 2577 folder. Waffles may know.
    Has anyone got Opera Mobile 8.65 to work with the cooked rom? it seem to have some problems with the "options" screen, can't drag up/down and "full screen"..
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    Has anyone got Opera Mobile 8.65 to work with the cooked rom? it seem to have some problems with the "options" screen, can't drag up/down and "full screen"..
    I could never get it to work right with the stock ROM. *shrug*
  9.    #89  
    Lets see if this perks some interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  10.    #90  
    One more to whet your appetite. (Dang 5 attachment limit....)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wow! Very nice work!

At one point I was able to get one of the 6.0 roms extracted fully. I was playing with the new outlook files but couldnt get them working properly (or at all).
    One more to whet your appetite. (Dang 5 attachment limit....)
    'Very Nice'
    So is that WM6 running on the Treo or just portions of it?
  14.    #94  
    So is that WM6 running on the Treo or just portions of it?
    That be full WM6.

It actually runs suprisingly well. I was pleasantly suprised.

It doesn't have the Palm Messaging running, just stock WM. I'll tweak it and see if I can get that working.
    And it ran well? I didn't think that the 700 had enough memory for WM6. Did you trim the WM6 ROM first? Does WM6 support SDHC?
    That be full WM6.

It doesn't have the Palm Messaging running, just stock WM. I'll tweak it and see if I can get that working.
    Would it be private/pay release or public release like the "Take 1"?

As to opera Mobile, I think I need to figure out how to disable the 'full screen' registry hack, then try to restore my Telus/Bell rom to see whats wrong. will do that when I have time. Meanwhile I will keep trying your releases..

thanks
    Last edited by kocoman; 05/17/2008 at 01:45 PM.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Count me in if you're looking for someone else to test WM6 on a Sprint Treo 700wx. I am VERY interested.
    That be full WM6.

Excellent Job! please keep us all posted!

Considering my unused-except-for-rollover-minutes-being-used-as-call-forwarding-minutes-from-ATT-to-Sprint Cingular 3125 is WM6'd, I eagerly await news of your progress.
  19.    #99  
    Backporting a few WM6 features is one thing. An entire upgrade is another. At this point I do not know how I'm going to handle this. Bittorrent may be the only option....

As for how it runs, suprisingly well. I expected it to be horrible as the Mogul has similar specs and ran like crap. I suspect that either there was a serious design flaw with the mogul, or there have been some serious tweaks done here. I little of both, I expect.

That being said, the trimmed WM5 ROM is significantly faster. That's what I'm using currently.
    Backporting a few WM6 features is one thing. An entire upgrade is another. At this point I do not know how I'm going to handle this. Bittorrent may be the only option....

As for how it runs, suprisingly well. I expected it to be horrible as the Mogul has similar specs and ran like crap. I suspect that either there was a serious design flaw with the mogul, or there have been some serious tweaks done here. I little of both, I expect.

That being said, the trimmed WM5 ROM is significantly faster. That's what I'm using currently.
    I thought I remember you mentioning that about the Mogul. Was the WM6 ROM stripped similar to your WM5 ROM? If not, can you strip it and gain some performance? How did the WM6 ROM compare to the standard WM5 ROM?