Page 40 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3035363738394041424344455090 ... LastLast
  1.    #781  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    Please be aware, that I have read reports that just making the changes yourself may not fix the problem, as the seetings will not be saved. There is a .cab file in the link that Ebag has posted. I would recommend installing from there.
    Simply do a soft reset via PSShutXP.

DO NOT do a reset by pulling the battery or hitting the reset button. Your changes will not get saved.

If you reset via a software program (PSShutXP, xCPUScalar, etc) then it wll save your registry changes.

Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    No, I am trying to install from one WM6 ROM to another. While I can do a full backup/restore, I'd prefer to do a smarter "upgrade" restore, which is triggered by it being a different ROM version.

The "upgrade" is specifically designed to upgrade from one ROM to another, retaining settings and applications.

I want to test this out, but am unsure of how to force this to happen.

So far, a full restore from test2 to test4 seems to be working correctly.
    Good information to know (that it appears to work).

My official stance, however, will remain that reinstalling from scratch is the only "safe" way. Occasionally I make important changes to (for example) the registry, and restoring has a high chance of losing those changes. It may adversely effect the performance of WM.

If you do a restore, and start having issues, my first question will be "How does it perform after a hard reset." If you refuse (not that you are, westronic) to test it clean, and via installing the programs manually (instead of by a restore) than I will refuse to help you. Not because I don't want to, but because I won't be able to. Restores from a Backup change so many different settings/files/applications/registry keys/etc at once that it's impossible for me to tell you what broke it.

Again, not picking on your westronic. If restoring works for you, great, and more power to you. I'm quite happy that nothing has broken, it's a very good thing in my book and makes me quite a bit more comfortable about the different versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I'm a bit confused as to what's happening then....you start getting problems after you install Sprite Backup and backup the device?

Which version of Sprite Backup are you using?
    No. I started encountering the error after running a backup, not after installing.

The version is 6.2.2, build 2280.

The problem occurred twice since the backup but has not occurred again since. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    ...Good information to know (that it appears to work).

My official stance, however, will remain that reinstalling from scratch is the only "safe" way. Occasionally I make important changes to (for example) the registry, and restoring has a high chance of losing those changes. It may adversely effect the performance of WM.

If you do a restore, and start having issues, my first question will be "How does it perform after a hard reset." If you refuse (not that you are, westronic) to test it clean, and via installing the programs manually (instead of by a restore) than I will refuse to help you. Not because I don't want to, but because I won't be able to. Restores from a Backup change so many different settings/files/applications/registry keys/etc at once that it's impossible for me to tell you what broke it.

Again, not picking on your westronic. If restoring works for you, great, and more power to you. I'm quite happy that nothing has broken, it's a very good thing in my book and makes me quite a bit more comfortable about the different versions.

Your position is perfectly reasonable.

I attempted another update where I modified the xml file to be version 1.6. It seems that this was not enough for Sprite to detect that the ROM has changed. Rats.

I have to figure out how to make this ROM appear as a new version.

Of course, when I get this working it will still be risky for the reasons you stated, but less risky that a full restore, as Sprite Backup is designed to safely restore applications after a ROM update.
    I hate to ask this but how do you go about installing the .dll for the bluetooth. I am new to this(smartphones) but I am pretty quick with this stuff.

Edit:Never mind, just found something a few post back
    Last edited by mbritt80; 07/07/2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    Your position is perfectly reasonable.

I attempted another update where I modified the xml file to be version 1.6. It seems that this was not enough for Sprite to detect that the ROM has changed. Rats....
    Whoops.

My change of "1.15" to "1.16" somehow did not take in the XML file.

I tried again, and this time double-checked the change before flashing the ROM, but the version still shows as 1.15.

Drat.

More research to do...
    Last edited by westronic; 07/07/2008 at 06:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    So I tried the cab fix for SD cards since I am one of the people that loses detection of my card randomly...often I could not even get it back with a soft reset or popping the card out and back in...with the cab fix, when I soft reset it is sometimes detected and sometimes not...if I just pop the card out and back in though it detects it and STAYS detected...it does so in a strange way though...sometimes in front of my eyes I will see the card listed in Resco Explorer and then suddenly it will disappear and immediately reappear at the bottom of the list...

So for me it is an improvement but is not perfect...I use SPB Backup every night which needs to soft reset afterwards...I'd hate to have to keep popping the card in and out each morning...maybe there are other values I could try for the registry hack...

Ebag: In the registry location for the hack it says "dll: fsdmgr.dll"....did the version of this file change between version 2 and 4 of your ROM? The weird thing for me is I don't have the problem with version 2 but do with 4 and this registry edit seems to influence my problem...
    Hi,

I dont know if this was answered before (I did search the thread). Does the Google maps "my location" work with WM6?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Hi,

I dont know if this was answered before (I did search the thread). Does the Google maps "my location" work with WM6?

Thanks,
    Rich

Nope. It's a limitation of the Treo700WX. As I understand it some APIs are not available, so it won't work.

Whatever the reason, it does not work.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Am I the only one still on the original trimmed rom? I use everything I normally use and its rock stable, and everything works on it and no issues with the sd card missing.
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post
    So I tried the cab fix for SD cards since I am one of the people that loses detection of my card randomly...often I could not even get it back with a soft reset or popping the card out and back in...with the cab fix, when I soft reset it is sometimes detected and sometimes not...if I just pop the card out and back in though it detects it and STAYS detected...it does so in a strange way though...sometimes in front of my eyes I will see the card listed in Resco Explorer and then suddenly it will disappear and immediately reappear at the bottom of the list...

So for me it is an improvement but is not perfect...I use SPB Backup every night which needs to soft reset afterwards...I'd hate to have to keep popping the card in and out each morning...maybe there are other values I could try for the registry hack...

Ebag: In the registry location for the hack it says "dll: fsdmgr.dll"....did the version of this file change between version 2 and 4 of your ROM? The weird thing for me is I don't have the problem with version 2 but do with 4 and this registry edit seems to influence my problem...
    Well, I spoke too soon...although it is better than before, the SD card still does disappear on occasion on its own...and it doesn't always come back by reinserting it...again- maybe I just need to mess with the values of the registry hack...

I have tried two other SD cards just to see and they all act the same way...
    Last edited by pdawg17; 07/08/2008 at 12:03 AM.
    Hey guys, I just wanted to thank Ebag and anyone else involved.
    I got the full WM6 working on my Sprint 700WX, and everything seems fine so far.
    My contract ends in 3 days and I plan to order the 800w on the 13th, but it's still fun and strangely self-fulfilling to mod the rom on this Treo.

About the SD cards - did all you guys format it back after the update? Perhaps that's the reason you're having problems...make sure to format your card back to "FAT" after you update your OS.
    Thanks again Ebag, keep up the good work
    Quote Originally Posted by New2This View Post
    Am I the only one still on the original trimmed rom? I use everything I normally use and its rock stable, and everything works on it and no issues with the sd card missing.
    Is that the original WM6 rom or the trimmed WM5 rom? Do you feel its faster than the standard rom? If its faster, whats faster?
    I am using the trimmed WM6 ROM. Nice fast and stable.

I tried testing 4 and had issues. Maybe next weekend I will try again, but I need my phone to work reliably for my job.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Installed - Testing 4 onto my Treo 700wx

Everything seems to be working fine. I also installed Threaded SMS and it works (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=139379)

Suggestion - Add PocketNotePad
    http://tillanosoft.com/ce/pnotepad.html
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d1sturbdapeace View Post
    About the SD cards - did all you guys format it back after the update? Perhaps that's the reason you're having problems...make sure to format your card back to "FAT" after you update your OS.
    I tried that but no dice...and I've always used FAT32 in the past (WM6 version 2 and WM5) with no problems...

EDIT: Well...for the time being I'm back to version 2...totally solid for me...even the SD card...
    Last edited by pdawg17; 07/08/2008 at 12:03 AM.
  16.    #796  
    It is very very odd. I don't believe that file changed but I will double check tommorrow.

The registry edit does seem to effect it, as does the type of card. I know with my SanDisk I've only lost it once in going on 4 days now. I suspect there are some underlying issues with cheaper cards, and they've simply been masked until now.

Either way I believe I'm going to include the reg "fix" in the ROM, as hopefully it will address the very occasional card losses I'd see with the old WM6 ROMs (and even the WM5 ROM's).

EDIT: Well...for the time being I'm back to version 2...totally solid for me...even the SD card...
    I will continue to hunt for the SD card issues. Hopefully my next release will address it.
    For those having Bluetooth issues:

Try the BTHCI.dll attached below. If that STILL doesn't fix it, try the three OBEX .dll's in the other attachment (OBEX.zip). Those are the only Bluetooth related DLL's that have changed since Testing 2. If neither of those work, then it's not actually a Bluetooth problem but something else interferring. Ugh.
    Just extract these files to the Windows Dir?
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Is that the original WM6 rom or the trimmed WM5 rom? Do you feel its faster than the standard rom? If its faster, whats faster?
    I'm using the original trimmed WM6 by ebag, and to me it feels about the same as a tweaked but not trimmed wm5 rom. In some instances the wm6 feels faster. As far as what I feel is faster its just seems over all little bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter_ View Post
    I am using the trimmed WM6 ROM. Nice fast and stable.

I tried testing 4 and had issues. Maybe next weekend I will try again, but I need my phone to work reliably for my job.
    I tried the testing 4 rom and it was not bad like above posts said there are some issues, but it was loaded with programs that I already have from different vendors, so it was like installing everyting again. Also the testing number 4 was missing the picture and video icon, I don't know if it was on purpose or not but i use it quiet a bit, so I just went back to the original trimmed wm6.
  19.    #799  
    It is very very odd. I don't believe that file changed but I will double check tommorrow.
    Okay, looks like this file only exists in XIP, so nope, I didn't change it.

Quote Originally Posted by longylong View Post
    Just extract these files to the Windows Dir?
    Yes. I recommend actually extracting them to the storage card, then using Total Commander to copy them into the Windows directory.

Also the testing number 4 was missing the picture and video icon, I don't know if it was on purpose or not but i use it quiet a bit, so I just went back to the original trimmed wm6.
    It's not missing, simply under \Media\.

I've done my best to catagorize all the icons to remove clutter from the root \Programs\ directory.
    For those having Bluetooth issues:

Try the BTHCI.dll attached below. If that STILL doesn't fix it, try the three OBEX .dll's in the other attachment (OBEX.zip). Those are the only Bluetooth related DLL's that have changed since Testing 2. If neither of those work, then it's not actually a Bluetooth problem but something else interferring. Ugh.
    Okay, I extracted the first file (BTHCI.dll) to the Windows directory and then did a soft reset, afterwards I tested it out but came to the same result...able to pair my Treo and my Laptop but unable to send files to and from the laptop. I received "unknown error" and "device not connected" messages. (For reference, I'm currently using Ubuntu Linux as my OS).

Then I extracted the three OBEX dll's to the Windows directory, did a soft reset and got a whole 'nother result...when I tried to beam a file to my Treo, a message popped up on my lap screen:

Host down...Make sure 'Beam receive' is enabled in the Power preferences, and Bluetooth is enabled, on your Palm device
    So I went to Settings>Connections>Beam to make sure that the "Receive all incoming beams" was check marked and it was. So I tried it once more and received this message:

Method "CreateBluetoothSession" with signature "ssb" on interface "org.openbox.Manager" doesn't exist
    So I dunno ...I know it could'nt be a issue with my linux OS beacuse I was able to pair and transfer thru bluetooth using the Testing 2 ROM. I guess it could be something interfering like you said. :shrug: