Page 4 of 104 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast
    So let me see if I got this right...
    The only con to this is you could brick your phone if you are not careful...

The pluses are... Faster phone... (Less looking it has to do...)
    Loading programs into the ROM will free up memory in the RAM of the machine..

With the programs in ROM when you do a hard reset you can have the phone back up and running in a short period of time with minimal additional steps needed. (Syncing your contacts etc and maybe adding any new programs since last burn..)

I am assuming then if I were to take my phone as is.. Strip down the ROM, add the programs I use into it... Then the Free Ram is increased which by its self should help speed up the phone as well?

Just trying to see if I am catching the drift here...

Thanks!

Oh and how do you install programs into the ROM? Is there a way to install the CABS or something or how is it done?

Thanks!

Rodney
    OK...this is starting to sound good here, I have 2 quick questions before I try one of the custom ROM's posted here:

1-Has anyone tried this with a Verizon device yet? If so, what was the outcome?

2-If I have a current backup of my device, do I just run the backup file after the flash, or is that an instance where that is a 'no-no'???

Thanks guys, some great work being done here!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If you read post 1 (to get the default Sprint ROM) or post 2 (to get one of my custom ones) you'll see where to get them from.
    Thanks for the quick reply and maybe I am dense, but I don't see it. I see where I can download your Sprint .nbo files, but I am on Verizon. I have a ROM dump from my phone and would like to cook that one. Is there any documentation to take my dump and convert it into a .nb0 file? Is there even a way to do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    OK...this is starting to sound good here, I have 2 quick questions before I try one of the custom ROM's posted here:

2-If I have a current backup of my device, do I just run the backup file after the flash, or is that an instance where that is a 'no-no'???

Thanks guys, some great work being done here!!
    As far as Q1 goes, I do not think anyone in this thread has tried this on VZW phone. I have asked the same question and gotten no reply. I do not have the balls to be the first either. And I don't think you are the guy. Which means we have to convince someone else to try it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    As far as Q1 goes, I do not think anyone in this thread has tried this on VZW phone. I have asked the same question and gotten no reply. I do not have the balls to be the first either. And I don't think you are the guy. Which means we have to convince someone else to try it first.
    Should I take offence to that??????? LOL

Your right though, I'm NOT the guy!!!!!! Hopefully a VZW user in here WILL get the nerve up to try sometime!!!!
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    I am assuming then if I were to take my phone as is.. Strip down the ROM, add the programs I use into it... Then the Free Ram is increased which by its self should help speed up the phone as well?
    No. Removing programs does not free up RAM. If you have a W you still only have 32 megs, if you have a WX you still only have 64 megs.

The working theory behind the snappyness of the device after flashing is that you can remove over 350 files, and that when you run a program/function that parses the \Windows\ directory, it has hundreds of less files to go through so it runs quicker. That's the theory, I have no idea if it's true or not but I can say that for me, my device runs significantly quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Oh and how do you install programs into the ROM? Is there a way to install the CABS or something or how is it done?
    You can install the CAB's but that defeats the point. All that would do would store the installers in ROM, you'd still have to install them.

What you do is add the actual files (the ones the CAB's install) to the ROM. Then you might need to add some reg keys. If you open the .CAB with an archive program (WinRAR works) it might have a _setup.xml. That'll show you exactly what you need to add to get it working (usually). You can then add that to the .PROVXML of your choice. If it doesn't have a _setup.xml, then things get a bit more complex.

I won't go into more detail on it at the moment mostly because there's a lot of complexity to it. If you want to cook your own ROM, I suggest you start with programs/files that don't require registry settings (MortScript and Sprite Backup are two examples, they set themselves up the first time they are run).

Basically you have to understand the .PROVXML and initflashfiles.dat in order to install programs. You can also look at my reg_ files (such as reg_PIEPlusDLL.lnk) to see how I registered DLL's for PIEPlus (normally DLL's are registered on extraction). That's a cool little tool someone came up with, and has come in handy.

If you have a specific question about it, feel free to post it. Your specifics may or may not get answered though until we get more people in here who are comfortable with cooking ROM's.

Not yet that I've heard.

You can run your backup to restore after the flash. A couple of things to be aware of.

1) Your backup may overwrite files in the \Windows\ directory.
    2) Your backup may (probably will) overwrite the registery, meaning some of my changes there will be lost.

My recommendation is if you can, just restore non \Windows\ files and your personal DB (contacts). Then reinstall the proggies you want, and then make a new backup. This way you don't overwrite the registry or any files in \Windows\.

Overwriting either isn't the end of the world, and if you don't care about the Reg hacks I did, go for it.

Thanks for the quick reply and maybe I am dense, but I don't see it. I see where I can download your Sprint .nbo files, but I am on Verizon. I have a ROM dump from my phone and would like to cook that one. Is there any documentation to take my dump and convert it into a .nb0 file? Is there even a way to do that?
    If you're on Verizon and not familiar with the basics of cooking a ROM, I'd recommend that you hold off until someone else has blazed the trail. It sounds like you're not very familiar with the process, and I'd hate to see you brick your device.

To answer your question more specifically, you can't just take a handful of files, throw them in a pot, cook it up, and come out with a ROM. You have to have a ROM to start with. There are lots of required files that you won't have with your dump.

If you feel gutsy, download the Sprint ROM updater, delete the firmware file, and flash away. Just be prepared to go buy another Treo (or at least exchange yours under insurance) if something goes wrong.
    Should I take offence to that??????? LOL
    I don't know, should you? I did not mean to offend. I am really anxious to try this. I was a ROM cooking fool with my T650. Loved it. Half of my apps where in the ROM and I could hard reset and not lose anything. I am still unclear about how to put Program Files into my ROM if they belong in the Program Files folder rather than the Windows folder. Programs such as AEButton+, Resco File Explorer, and Wisbar Advanced.

I had zLauncher, Backupman, and all sorts of other programs in my 650 ROM. And making those ROMS was soooooo easy. I have not tried actually even cooking a VZW ROM yet, since I don't have a VZW .nbO file. Can I use the Sprint one? I don't know. I am trying to find a way to get Ebag my ROM and maybe he can tell us the differences between Sprint and VZW concerning the ROM and the Registry.

EDIT: I just saw Ebag response and it looks as though, I will have to wait longer for someonemuch smarter than me who has Verizon to figure this out first. Damn. I am itching to cook a ROM with at least SDHC in it. Hard resets have now become slightly more of a pain without it in the ROM.
  8.    #68  
    I am still unclear about how to put Program Files into my ROM if they belong in the Program Files folder rather than the Windows folder. Programs such as AEButton+, Resco File Explorer, and Wisbar Advanced.
    That's the purpose of initflashfiles.dat. But many programs don't *HAVE* to be in \Program Files\, that's just where they get installed to. Even if they have reg keys pointing there, you can probably just point those keys at the \Windows\ dir and call it good.

I setup Sprite Backup to copy some files to the \Program Files\ dir, but that was A) part lazyness, so I didn't have to setup the registry differently and B) the files copied were fairly small, so it's not a big impact.

I had zLauncher, Backupman, and all sorts of other programs in my 650 ROM. And making those ROMS was soooooo easy.
    My kitchen isn't nearly at the point where it is that easy.

I have not tried actually even cooking a VZW ROM yet, since I don't have a VZW .nbO file. Can I use the Sprint one? I don't know. I am trying to find a way to get Ebag my ROM and maybe he can tell us the differences between Sprint and VZW concerning the ROM and the Registry.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $no$ $one$ $has$ $tried$ $cooking$ $a$ $Verizon$ $ROM$ $yet$. $The$ $theory$ $is$ $you$ $can$ $use$ $the$ $Sprint$ $one$ ($see$ $first$ $post$).
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $no$ $one$ $has$ $tried$ $cooking$ $a$ $Verizon$ $ROM$ $yet$. $The$ $theory$ $is$ $you$ $can$ $use$ $the$ $Sprint$ $one$ ($see$ $first$ $post$).
    Thanks for the info. I will have to sit on the sidelines and wait for someone much smarter than I to try this. IM me when you log on again and I can get you the VZW ROM dump I have and maybe we can determine from there how different the Sprint and VZW ROMS are. I IMed you last night and got notice that you IMed me back, but I had unfortunately already logged off. You can find my IM logons in my profile.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    My error is happening after step 12. i press up then get the message unable to locate rom image. i am fairly sure my card is fat32 but i am barrowing a friends card reader to try the reformat myself.
    Okay, so for kicks and giggles I took the Sprint .nb0 file you uploaded and went through the process of starting a ROM cook. The "1-Tear Down ROM.bat" file created two files, imgfs_raw_data.bin and imgfs_removed_data.bin.

Like I said before I have a VZW ROM dump. I tore it down and ended up with two files with the exact same names. So in order to cook a VZW ROM, could I not just start with my imgfs files from my ROM dump. Cook, then build it back up to a .nb0 file? Is my theory flawed somehow. I am trying to find something that will compare the Sprint ROM dump to my VZW ROM dump and see if I can determine what the differences are.

Any input on this? Thanks.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Rahl View Post
    My error is happening after step 12. i press up then get the message unable to locate rom image. i am fairly sure my card is fat32 but i am barrowing a friends card reader to try the reformat myself.
    My guess is that it's not in FAT32 format. I believe the 700WX will support most formats (probably other than *NIX or NTFS, though I haven't tested that), so it's likely in FAT or FAT16. Most cards come pre-formated with just FAT, as that's the most (usually) compatible.

I got that exact message until I'd reformatted mine with FAT32.

Okay, so for kicks and giggles I took the Sprint .nb0 file you uploaded and went through the process of starting a ROM cook. The "1-Tear Down ROM.bat" file created two files, imgfs_raw_data.bin and imgfs_removed_data.bin.

Like I said before I have a VZW ROM dump. I tore it down and ended up with two files with the exact same names. So in order to cook a VZW ROM, could I not just start with my imgfs files from my ROM dump. Cook, then build it back up to a .nb0 file? Is my theory flawed somehow. I am trying to find something that will compare the Sprint ROM dump to my VZW ROM dump and see if I can determine what the differences are.

Any input on this? Thanks.
    Possibly. I just don't know.

Once you have the two IMGFS files, you can then dump the rom (I think I marked it as "raw"). You could then take the default Sprint one, dump that ROM (same method), and then use WinMerge or another program to diff the files. You'll only be able to go off file size to diff, but it should give you a pretty good idea of the changes.

Where did you get your IMGFS files for your Verizon phone from?
    Confirm working on Telus/Bell Treo 700wx (But it replaces your trun on/off logo with Sprint)
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    Confirm working on Telus/Bell Treo 700wx (But it replaces your trun on/off logo with Sprint)
    Good news!

I need a new on/off logo/graphic, but I'm not terribly graphically inclined. Anyone around here with the skills to do so? Need a 240x240 image (I can convert as needed).

Which ROM did you use? Did you just do a straight flash, or tweak it any?
    I am a WM newbie, (had to read elsewhere how to do a hard reset..), so no tweaks/cooking, I did backup my current rom with r2sd. (I hope it contains a complete backup..)

I used your "Take 1" rom.
    The on/off sound is different too.
    I tried ##PRI but its still not responding.
    Also does it update your 'version' (ie: ROWEN) number.?
    Will try using LAN Bluetooth with my picoblue later on. (For reverse DUN)

Do you plan to use the "CAB and left softkey" method for flashing? (It was mentioned somewhere in the forums)

Thanks for your time and effort. I did the similar thing for people with 700p into 755p You have better control of organizations/english than me so the positive outcome was better than mines.
    6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
    this whole process was originally started as a result of my putting a sprint nb0 rom that I customized onto a verizon phone; so, yes, it works on verizon.

ebag333 has been a leader/pioneer here in making this process easier for folks to manage (kitchen), and for keeping everyone updated with project progress reports. great work, ebag333.

the only main difference here is that the sprint rom that we started with is a rom from an SD updater, which is a raw image; verizon only allows for pc-based updates, which use the encrypted rom format ruu. yes, there are slight carrier branding differences, but they are essentially the same rom.

those of you who are trying to use grab_it dumps must beware of the rom structure and offsets if they try to build a rom; it is much safer to use the nb0 as a starting point until more information comes along regarding the rom structure within the actual device itself.
  17.    #77  
    The on/off sound is different too.
    That's intentional. It saves almost 250kb of space.

I tried ##PRI but its still not responding.
    Works for me.

Also does it update your 'version' (ie: ROWEN) number.?
    You mean the Phone -> About version number? No, it still thinks it's the 1.15 Sprint update.

Will try using LAN Bluetooth with my picoblue later on. (For reverse DUN)
    Let me know how that works out. I've only tested my Redfly with bluetooth after flashing.

Do you plan to use the "CAB and left softkey" method for flashing? (It was mentioned somewhere in the forums)
    I know you can run the update off of the SD card from the program. I personally prefer the hardware version of it.

I'm not sure what you're referring to by "CAB and left soft key" method though.
    Another Successful flash using your custom rom and instructions on a sprint treo 700wx, love what i see so far :P, will def block off some time this weekend to play around with the cooker and see what i can come up with.

Thanks for all your efforts ebag and everyone involved in this project, i will be watching this thread very closely

Once you have the two IMGFS files, you can then dump the rom (I think I marked it as "raw"). You could then take the default Sprint one, dump that ROM (same method), and then use WinMerge or another program to diff the files. You'll only be able to go off file size to diff, but it should give you a pretty good idea of the changes.

Where did you get your IMGFS files for your Verizon phone from?
    From my grab_it dump. I had a dump.bin file. Using the XDA imgfs tools, I was able to prepare the .bin file into the imgfs files. I tried those in your kitchen and was trying to disassemble the registry branches and could not get that to work. I kept getting errors. If we can meet up on AIM, I can get you what I have and you can see what you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by waffles_was_taken View Post
    this whole process was originally started as a result of my putting a sprint nb0 rom that I customized onto a verizon phone; so, yes, it works on verizon.

those of you who are trying to use grab_it dumps must beware of the rom structure and offsets if they try to build a rom; it is much safer to use the nb0 as a starting point until more information comes along regarding the rom structure within the actual device itself.
    Wow. I am sorry if I missed that. So someone has tried this process on a VZW phone and it is confirmed working. Time to start playing for me now. I have the grab_it ROM, but I will probably just stick with the Sprint ROM since it is working. I can put the VZW on/off logos back into the ROM and not have to worry about the Sprint logo there. I just thought if there was a way to use the grab_it dumps, I could work with a VZW ROM. Now the only thing I need to make sure that I do is delete the firmware.bin file from the ROM updater. Right?

You mean the Phone -> About version number? No, it still thinks it's the 1.15 Sprint update.
    I wonder what it will do on a VZW phone. Will it leave my version at 1.22 or change it to the Sprint 1.15. Hmmmm. I guess we will find out.
    Ebag. Maybe I can get some help. I want to replace two files in Windows with others so that I can use my SDHC card after a hard reset. DO I need to put the original files in the To Delete folder and the new files in the To Add folder? Or do I simply put the files I want in the To Add folder and it will overwrite the originals? Thanks.